Ramayan

Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan on Star One

Khalrika thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Hey Lalitha,

Star One has just started Ramanad Sagars' Sampoorna Ramayan today (Sunday October 4th 09). I am watching it right now as I write. It is airing in the US Star One channel between 3-4 pm pacific time. Do u get Star One Lalitha? I am thinking of us as I watch. (I prefer the Gurmi version but that is just my pov 😆😆😆).
Edited by Khalrika - 14 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Mallika113 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Oh wow, you are lucky that you can watch it.  I don't have Indian TV channels
Khalrika thumbnail
Mallika, we got dishnetwork long time ago (in 1999 or something like that). I think the DVD for the old Ramayan are easily available. Also, youtube and other sites have them. I prefer the latest Sagar version with Gurmi as Ram. Just my pov.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Thanks for the info Khal.😃 No, I don't have Star One but I have the DVDs for Ramayan and Luv Kush, so it's okay. Believe me, you'll love Ramayan! It's like "watching Ramcharitmanas" literally because lots of the dialogues and songs have lyrics taken straight out of RCM. Which part are you on right now?

Lol, let's see how long your opinion holds out once you finish Luv Kush.😉😆 You won't be able to help but become obsessed with it.😉 Just kidding.😆

By the way, is Luv Kush included in "Sampoorn Ramayan'?
Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 14 years ago
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
By the way, are they just showing what they edited out on the DVD sets (because the DVDs have a lot of missing scenes from the Original show which Lola has kindly uploaded from her VHS sets), or the actual original show which was shown 20+ years back?
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

By the way, this was posted by Rajnish in the new Ramayan/SK CC....thought you guys would be interested in reading it. It's about people's fandom for Ramayan during its original telecast in 1986.

Ramanand Sagar's Ramayan
Is a modern day miracle

Ramanand Sagar's mega epic TV Serial "RAMAYAN", when first telecasted in 1987, created unprecedented records. It blazed new trails all over the world with a unique distinction of achieving something which even prophets, scholars, great thinkers, religious leaders, social reformers and politicians could not achieve in centuries.
The message of "Ramayan" cut across all the barriers of caste, creed, language and political boundaries. The euphoria that "RAMAYAN" created and documented by the media during its telecast, is itself a legend.
Media Documentation
  • During that sacred three quarters of an hour, the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, the largest Indian State, refused to take any telephone calls.
  • In Jammu and Kashmir, angry viewers attacked a power station when electricity cuts disrupted the telecast.
  • A lawyers' conference in Patna had to be delayed when its opening coincided with the telecast and nobody turned up.
  • A bride was late for her wedding ceremony in Satara in Maharashtra because she was watching Ramayan.
  • Two ministers turned up one hour late for her swearing- in ceremony at Rashtrapati Bhavan. They said they were busy watching "Ramayan".
  • The Bharat Milap scene brought in Bhopal two Muslim brothers on inimical terms, together after having lived separately for ten years. So moved was the elder brother by the serial, that he transported all possessions which were the reason of the split, to the younger brother's house.
  • In a Ranchi mental asylum, usually rowdy or violent inmates – on Sundays – when they were out in open pelted stones on monkeys sitting on trees in the compound, watched "Ramayan" peacefully. When they saw HANUMANJI performing various tasks for LORD SHRI RAM, their attitude towards monkeys changed. They started leaving food for the animals and even erected a Samadhi for a dead monkey.
  • In Bombay, "Ramayan" even cured a boy of amnesia. After a serious accident, the boy could not remember anything from his past life. Several efforts by his parents and treatments could not revive his memory. One day his sister asked him to see "Ramayan." A faint recollection of the theme music of the serial triggered off a positive response and the boy soon recovered with subsequent treatment.
  • A funeral procession in Muzaffarnagar was delayed by an hour to enable mourners to watch Ramayan.
  • In Lucknow, distraught patients complained that doctors and nurses had abandoned them while the show was on air.
  • A man died in Karnataka while watching "Ramayana". The family members attended to him and cremated after the serial got over.
  • Many churches all over India rescheduled their Sunday masses so that church goers can watch the serial.
  • After watching the scene in which Laxman becomes unconscious on being hit by Indrajit's arrow – NAAGPASH – a wealthy businessman in Madras fell seriously ill and went into coma at the shock of Laxman wounded. The credibility and source of sequence created a great furor, but the Sagar's stood their ground. But when they received a request from the business man's doctors' to help them revive the old man the Sagar unit worked round the clock and prepared a special clipping which they air dashed to Madras. Only after the man saw Laxman reviving back to life in the new clipping – also based on the authentic research – did he recover back to normal life from his coma.
  • A wedding baraat arrived in Lucknow station 9.30 a.m. on Sunday only to find that all the coolies as well as the rickshawallah's were engrossed seeing the serial. The bride's parents' being influential people attempted to lodge a complaint with the station master, only to find him busy watching the serial. Even threats did not get him to budge from his seat before the TV set. Exasperated, they called up a union minister to seek justice, only to be given a terse reply that the minister himself was busy watching the serial and to call up later.

Khalrika thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Thanks for the info Khal.😃 No, I don't have Star One but I have the DVDs for Ramayan and Luv Kush, so it's okay. Believe me, you'll love Ramayan! It's like "watching Ramcharitmanas" literally because lots of the dialogues and songs have lyrics taken straight out of RCM. Which part are you on right now?

Lol, let's see how long your opinion holds out once you finish Luv Kush.😉😆 You won't be able to help but become obsessed with it.😉 Just kidding.😆

By the way, is Luv Kush included in "Sampoorn Ramayan'?

Hey, Lalitha. I have seen this Ramayan. I was in college when this production came out. Now, u can guess my age. 😆😆😆😆😆😆
So, I can still say I like the Sagars' Gurmi as Ramji version. This is just my pov (so don't get upset), I think Gurmi lived the role as Ramji. Just my opinion.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Khalrika

Hey, Lalitha. I have seen this Ramayan. I was in college when this production came out. Now, u can guess my age. 😆😆😆😆😆😆
So, I can still say I like the Sagars' Gurmi as Ramji version. This is just my pov (so don't get upset), I think Gurmi lived the role as Ramji. Just my opinion.

Lol, then you do have the right.😆 Not to worry, am not at all upset.😳🤗 I totally understand your opinion, b/c I think Arun and Deepika lived the role of Ramji and Sitaji. Just diff perceptions and expectations of Shri Ram's and Sita Ma's character I guess.😉

And I only posted the article because I thought some of the points were funny or meaningful. Imagine missing your own wedding ceremony because you were too busy watching Ramayan!🤣 And the Bharat Milap inspiring two Muslim brothers to reunite after separating for 10 years was soooo sweet.😍

By the way guys, did you know Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna is playing on NDTV Imagine for 3 years every Saturday (I think)....will check out the info again and make sure.
Khalrika thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

Lol, then you do have the right.😆 Not to worry, am not at all upset.😳🤗 I totally understand your opinion, b/c I think Arun and Deepika lived the role of Ramji and Sitaji. Just diff perceptions and expectations of Shri Ram's and Sita Ma's character I guess.😉

And I only posted the article because I thought some of the points were funny or meaningful. Imagine missing your own wedding ceremony because you were too busy watching Ramayan!🤣 And the Bharat Milap inspiring two Muslim brothers to reunite after separating for 10 years was soooo sweet.😍

By the way guys, did you know Ramanand Sagar's Shri Krishna is playing on NDTV Imagine for 3 years every Saturday (I think)....will check out the info again and make sure.

Yes. we were crazy in those days! 😆😆😆😆😆😆
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Khalrika

Yes. we were crazy in those days! 😆😆😆😆😆😆

😆Lol, I think we fans are crazy now too. I mean, just look at Lola & me.😉😆