Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

-PoisonIvy- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
Everyone

What do you all think about 'Freedom of expression in Creative writing' ? Do you think it is 'alright' and acceptable when it comes to Religious , mythological books?

I came across a few 'fics' , writeups and excerpts on the net and was shocked to see how people can write anything in the garb of creativity
One certain book mentioned something about how Draupadi harbours feelings for Karna and secretly longs for him..! This one became SO popular that I came across a zillion posts /questions etc on whether its actually true and how some even believe it and say it is a popular "legend" !!!??? And that Draupadi perhaps felt guilty after refusing to marry him and that guilt turned into love!!

I have read at least 4-5 versions on this.

And if this wasnt bad enough , one piece had something about how Draupadi went to heaven and saw Duryodhan there and confessed to him that she loved him too!!

There was another one - How Kunti knew that all her sons were in love with Draupadi and she purposely got her married to all of them by pretending that she didnt know what Arjuna was talking about when he brought her home. She did so because she felt that Pandavas were undefeated because they were united and thought that Draupadi may become the reason for their downfall!

This however is not only a piece of fiction but some scholars actually believe that its true.

Another one mentions about Draupadi's *cough* escapades with her husbands and how she enjoyed ummmm with Bheema the most and then the details ! 🀒

But nothing tops this one - Draupadi apparently loves Krishna and by love the writer does not mean spiritual love! There was a play , long back in which Hema Malini plays Draupadi and she flirts with Krishna constantly and proposes to him but he turns her down and encourages her to marry Arjuna instead!

There are quite a few...! I like one which is a like a funny take on the Pandavas final journey but that too becomes a little inappropriate towards the end!  Some parts are genuinely funny!

http://www.boloji.com/stories/180.htm

What do you all think?

"Sab chalta hai" ? or should writers excecise some caution when dealing with Religious , mythological wok?

I dont know if this could be posted here , didnt feel like posting in DB so wrote here. Do give ur opinions!

Am i the only one feeling a little disturbed after reading them? Am I stupid for taking these too seriously?

RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 6
Originally posted by: lola610

Wowww gorgeous RS-BRC combo req Lali, it came out beautiful... the pic of Shri Hari you chose for the middle ties it all together so perfectly! And of course prefect text... your Ganga Maa sig is stunning too πŸ‘ Still bogged down with hw, so hope I get to see your sigs before I get around to making mine πŸ˜† j/k.... oh and so glad we agree about the Viraat epis, they contain some of my fav moments... esp the Arjun-Uttara ones πŸ˜† And Nainon Ke Darpan mein... what a song 😍

I know, I really love it a lot!😍 I couldn't decide whether to put Nitishji or Arunji as Lord Vishnu, so I chose an animated pic of Shri Hari which kind of looked like both of them.😳 I really love that pic a lot originally too, we have it framed in our house.😊

Aww, thanks Loli. :)

Yeah, agree, the song is really very beautiful! And the actress playing Uttara is really gorgeous! Hey, do you know if that song is on youtube or something? I'd love to put it into my MP3 player.
RamKiSeeta thumbnail
Originally posted by: ~~ashi~~

Lalitha

you are right. Both Deepika and Roopa are very beautiful.

I have seen Deepika (dont remember her last name) in real life. Shes very pretty. 😊

Wow, it's really cool that you saw Deepika in real life! Wish I could meet her sometime.😍 Where did you see her?

Deepika's last name before she was married was Chikhalia, but now it is Topiwala.😊
RamKiSeeta thumbnail

Everyone

What do you all think about 'Freedom of expression in Creative writing' ? Do you think it is 'alright' and acceptable when it comes to Religious , mythological books?

I came across a few 'fics' , writeups and excerpts on the net and was shocked to see how people can write anything in the garb of creativity
One certain book mentioned something about how Draupadi harbours feelings for Karna and secretly longs for him..! This one became SO popular that I came across a zillion posts /questions etc on whether its actually true and how some even believe it and say it is a popular "legend" !!!??? And that Draupadi perhaps felt guilty after refusing to marry him and that guilt turned into love!!

And if this wasnt bad enough , one piece had something about how Draupadi went to heaven and saw Duryodhan there and confessed to him that she loved him too!!

There was another one - How Kunti knew that all her sons were in love with Draupadi and she purposely got her married to all of them by pretending that she didnt know what Arjuna was talking about when he brought her home. She did so because she felt that Pandavas were undefeated because they were united and thought that Draupadi may become the reason for their downfall!

This however is not only a piece of fiction but some scholars actually believe that its true.

Another one mentions about Draupadi's *cough* escapades with her husbands and how she enjoyed ummmm with Bheema the most and then the details ! 🀒

But nothing tops this one - Draupadi apparently loves Krishna and by love the writer does not mean spiritual love! There was a play , long back in which Hema Malini plays Draupadi and she flirts with Krishna constantly and proposes to him but he turns her down and encourages her to marry Arjuna instead!

There are quite a few...! I like one which is a like a funny take on the Pandavas final journey but that too becomes a little inappropriate towards the end!  Some parts are genuinely funny!

What do you all think?

"Sab chalta hai" ? or should writers excecise some caution when dealing with Religious , mythological wok?

I dont know if this could be posted here , didnt feel like posting in DB so wrote here. Do give ur opinions!

Am i the only one feeling a little disturbed after reading them? Am I stupid for taking these too seriously?

Ashi, I completely agree with you. I don't think writers should use writers' freedom as an excuse to write the garbage that some of them do. It's really disgusting what some of them write.🀒 

I think you are referring to the novel The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni. I read that book, and it's true that in it, Draupadi harbors feelings for Karna, and at times, also for Duryodhan. She is in no way portrayed as the pativrata stree that she really was, and the way Lord Krishna is portrayed is better left unsaid. I originally was a big fan of Divakaruni's books before, but after I read this one, my liking for her really fell.

To her defense though, she did write a huge disclaimer in the beginning that the scenes and situations she was writing was purely 'creativity' and 'her own perception of the characters in mythology', and that she does not claim any truth to them. However, there are some really naive and ignorant people out there who believe anything they read, so if writers want to write fictional accounts from mythology, they'd better preserve the characters' original divinity without their own mumbo jumbo in it. But sadly, many people don't do that, because they claim that the events in Ramayan and Mahabharat have 'not been proven' to be history, so if they write fictional accounts of something that may already be 'fictional' itself, there's nothing wrong, and no one gives a care that some people's religious sentiments may be hurt.

You are not at all stupid to be taking these things seriously, but honestly, I wouldn't bother if I were you, because no matter how we feel or may protest, people will continue writing this stuff and others will continue reading them. The best thing to do would be to ignore those kinds of people and not read their stories. Don't give them the time of your day, and be reassured that you are a truer devotee of God, because you know God's story in its true form. You know the true character of Draupadiji, Krishnaji, etc, and no matter what rubbish others may write on them, or claim to their hearts' content that these mythos are fictional, you know the truth. As the saying goes, the truth will set you free.😊 

And you can post anything in this CC as long as it doesn't bash the serial or epic (which I know you'd never postπŸ˜‰), so rest assured, we can have discussions like this to our hearts' content.😊 Lol, I can understand why you'd not want to post in the Debate Mansion. Peoples' posts there would annoy you and get you angrier than reassure you.
Edited by _LalithaJanaki_ - 14 years ago
muffins2waffles thumbnail

Everyone

What do you all think?

What the hec? o.O

LOL, that's quite pathetic.

No no, you're not the only one feeling disturbed πŸ˜† I feel very much disturbed.

Yea definitely writers should definitely definitely take caution when writing these kinds of things about religious/mythos, unless they want people to think they're mental.

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Lali, I don't think the song's on youtube... I have it on my ipod but the comp it was saved on is the one that crashed 😭 Will def share it when it's all sorted out, just keep reminding me.

Ashi, thanks for the great post!!! Versions of that debate actually have come up at the DM on various occasions, which is why Lali and I can tell you for sure it isn't as fun having it there 😳 For the sake of argument everyone says "it's just fiction, let it go"... but in my opinion, slandering these sacred characters is wrong because it may not hurt all, but it does hurt some... and if you're aware of that yet you continue to do it, you're not a decent person. Insulting person A's mommy only hurts person A, not me, but I still don't think it's ok to insult her!

Similarly I along with many others look up to some of these mytho characters for the inspiration and life lessons that keep us going from day to day, so we do feel the pinch when people mess around with them in the name of creativity - so even if the writer/director commiting the offense doesn't hold the same regard for the character as we do he/she should still take into consideration the feeling of fellow human beings and give it a rest.

Adding fictional elements to the basic stories is kinda unavoidable, as there are many versions of each scriptural tale to take into account... and esp in the tv format, some additional masala is required to add length and fill in the gaps... when this job was left to qualified mytho makers like BRC and RS, it was done right so that even the added masala felt like it had a scriptural basis since it carried a message just as deep. But most of today's tv mytho makers and the authors you mentioned don't seem to have that kind of discretion, so their work ends up feeling cheap and pointless. Didn't want to make something meaningful, shouldn't have made it at all.

Sorry for the rant πŸ˜†
Aradhana87 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: _LalithaJanaki_

I know, I really love it a lot!😍 I couldn't decide whether to put Nitishji or Arunji as Lord Vishnu, so I chose an animated pic of Shri Hari which kind of looked like both of them.😳 I really love that pic a lot originally too, we have it framed in our house.😊

Aww, thanks Loli. :)

Yeah, agree, the song is really very beautiful! And the actress playing Uttara is really gorgeous! Hey, do you know if that song is on youtube or something? I'd love to put it into my MP3 player.

Varsha Usgaonkar played Uttara..this is the song

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZVoVUJ9dzk[/YOUTUBE]
-PoisonIvy- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thank u all for ur opinions 😊

Well , after a loooot of struggle , I have got my hands on the Mahabharata Katha Dvd. Had to search every place , travel quite a bit , make soooo many calls but got it - at a very small , unknown weird place which was........just 2 min Walking distance from my place !! 😑 πŸ˜• πŸ˜†

I have already gone through a few episodes. Dont get too shocked ! I get very impatient and iv been looking for this series for a while now.

But i hvnt watched it very religiously. I fwded a lot of parts and jumped to the ones that I thought would be exciting! Once im done with all the episodes (45 in total) , will watch them nicely from the start..!

-SilverFlames- thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

The sigges are absolutely amazing.. really like the Draupadi ones with Arjun beneath..

@Ashi.. I am shocked at the ignorance that some writers dislay within their writing.. It kind of mocks what we all know to be true..
Even if the writers Disclaimer notes that it is fictional or creativity only, they should be careful to what they are wrting.. Many people have not watched or read anything about Mahabharat and for them to then pick up a book like the ones you've stated is just wrong..
Their first perceptions of the characters and personalities will be negative or degoatory..

In Draupadi's case, Karna was first to pick up the bow from the Swamyver but Krishna told her not to allow him to continue so why she secretly loved has no logic.. Draupadi respected Dhuryodan as her husbands brother and after disliked him for insulting her and womenhood..

In Kunti's case she treated each son equally and when Arjun told her that he had brought home alms, she told him to distribute it equally between all five..
Even if Kunti had intentionally told Arjun to share Draupadi then it was in her that the boon that Draupadi had asked for was to be fulfilled..

Writers need to know what they are writing and the effects that they may have and using 'freedom' as an excuse is not enough..
Dpka1415 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
wwwoowowwwowwwwww..... thnxxxxx a ton lalitha di fr d wndrful pixxxx....😊😊 awsmmmmm cgs evry 1 .... dey r simply superb... πŸ‘ hey lola can u plzzz tell d name of d  font vich u hv used in d following cg ?   Edited by Dpka1415 - 14 years ago