BR Chopra's Mahabharat Chat Club # 1| Pg. 78,79(Page 30)

Posted: 2010-01-03T12:52:30Z
Well I think Draupadi said it in that way as she was also very proud/arrogant.
She didnt mean to insult Dhritrashtra but she wanted to show Duryodhan his place as she didnt like his arrogance and his behaviour towards the Pandavas.
She meant it like...A blind fathers blind son. She called him blind as she found him "blind in his arrogance" but while she was making fun of him it came spontaneously from her mouth and she didnt realise that it would be so hurtful and insulting to hear.
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T12:58:41Z
Originally posted by Aradhana87

Thank u for posting these clear n nice pix of Ganga. (Kiran Juneja)
She also acted in many movies as sidekick of villainsStar

you're welcome aradhana devi Wink lol yeah I remember that, she played kiran kumar's wife so many times, mr and mrs kiran LOL
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T13:21:00Z
Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

You're welcome Loli. :)
Haha, that's funny. You guys sound like me. I too watched the Vastra Haran scene sooooooooo many times....sad but very powerfully done.Clap I don't think anyone took that scene as well as BRC yet, do you?
first off the sigs you just posted of it are lovely, very touching Clap but yeah no other portrayal's been that classy thanks to Roopa's bold dialogue delivery of course and also the expressions of the elders... much more pitiable and palpable than even those of the pandavs, in my opinion... esp Mukesh Khanna Clap and for me one major reason it leaves such a huge imprssion is the physical acting, the way vinod kapoor seems to actually be dragging her down the stairs... it looks sooo painfully real Shocked
the old bolly version from the 60s with Dara Singh as Bhim did a good job for its time, though.

Clap
I have a question. In the original Mahabharat, I don't think Draupadi says "Andha ke putr Andha" does she? Because a few days back, when I was looking for the Vastra Haran epi, I went a few VCDs back accidentally and rewatched the part where Draupadi laughed at Duryodhan. In the original story, she (along with all the Pandavas except Dharmraj) just laugh at Duryodhan for his mistake before Nakul and Sahadev eventually help him out...no where does it say that Draupadi insulted him further.
the way it's written in most texts and novellized versions I've read, she's watching him walk through the palace and being extremely rude towards the servants, which really upsets her so she says what she says to burst his bubble... brc kinda implied that, showing him scoff at the maids as he passed them... but had he played it up a bit, the comment would've been more in context... while I don't remember the exact wording (will look it up though), I do know she does actually say something along with laughing. 
Didn't like how BRC did that...Draupadi was a virtuous lady, I don't think she'd have insulted Dhritatastra, who was like her father-in-law, would she?
lol maybe she wouldn't, but whiney loser that he was, I cerainly would LOL
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T13:32:22Z
Originally posted by Aradhana87

Well I think Draupadi said it in that way as she was also very proud/arrogant.
She didnt mean to insult Dhritrashtra but she wanted to show Duryodhan his place as she didnt like his arrogance and his behaviour towards the Pandavas.
She meant it like...A blind fathers blind son. She called him blind as she found him "blind in his arrogance" but while she was making fun of him it came spontaneously from her mouth and she didnt realise that it would be so hurtful and insulting to hear.

Hi Aradhana, thanks for your reply. :)

Was reading the Sabha Parva of Veda Vyasa's Mahabharata right now(http://www.mahabharataonline.com/translation/mahabharata_02046.php),  and I was surprised to find that Draupadi had not even laughed at Duryodhan, let alone calling him those words. There was no mention of her. Here's the excerpt I read...maybe it's an abridged version, I don't know, but this is what I found.
  Section XLVI

Vaisampayana said,--"That bull among men, Duryodhana, continued to dwell in that, assembly house (of the Pandavas). And with Sakuni, the Kuru prince slowly examined the whole of that mansion, and the Kuru prince beheld in it many celestial designs, which he had never seen before in the city called after the elephant (Hastinapore). And one day king Duryodhana in going round that mansion came upon a crystal surface. And the king, from ignorance, mistaking it for a pool of water, drew up his clothes. And afterwards finding out his mistake the king wandered about the mansion in great sorrow. And sometime after, the king, mistaking a lake of crystal water adorned with lotuses of crystal petals for land, fell into it with all his clothes on. Beholding Duryodhana fallen into the lake, the mighty Bhima laughed aloud as also the menials of the palace. And the servants, at the command of the king, soon brought him dry and handsome clothes. Beholding the plight of Duryodhana, the mighty Bhima and Arjuna and both the twins--all laughed aloud. Being unused to putting up with insults, Duryodhana could not bear that laugh of theirs. Concealing his emotions he even did not cast his looks on them. And beholding the monarch once more draw up his clothes to cross a piece of dry land which he had mistaken for water, they all laughed again. And the king sometime after mistook a closed door made of crystal as open. And as he was about to pass through it his head struck against it, and he stood with his brain reeling. And mistaking as closed another door made of crystal that was really open, the king in attempting to open it with stretched hands, tumbled down. And coming upon another door that was really open, the king thinking it as closed, went away from it. And, O monarch, king Duryodhana beholding that vast wealth in the Rajasuya sacrifice and having become the victim of those numerous errors within the assembly house at last returned, with the leave of the Pandavas, to Hastinapore.

Also, Draupadi, as far as I know, was proud yes, but only of her beauty. She was not arrogant and she was not insulting to others for no reason like BRC sometimes showed. Not saying BRC didn't show Draupadi's character well, because he did, but he sometimes made her sound ruder than necessary in some scenes.
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T13:56:48Z
Originally posted by lola610

Originally posted by _LalithaJanaki_

You're welcome Loli. :)
Haha, that's funny. You guys sound like me. I too watched the Vastra Haran scene sooooooooo many times....sad but very powerfully done.Clap I don't think anyone took that scene as well as BRC yet, do you?
first off the sigs you just posted of it are lovely, very touching Clap Thanks a lot!Big smile but yeah no other portrayal's been that classy thanks to Roopa's bold dialogue delivery of course and also the expressions of the elders... much more pitiable and palpable than even those of the pandavs, in my opinion... esp Mukesh Khanna Clap and for me one major reason it leaves such a huge imprssion is the physical acting, the way vinod kapoor seems to actually be dragging her down the stairs... it looks sooo painfully real ShockedAgree!Clap Mukesh Khanna was the best in my opinion out of the whole MB cast (after Nitish of course, heehee), his maturity in acting really showed in each and every word he spoke, as well as his expressions.Clap 
the old bolly version from the 60s with Dara Singh as Bhim did a good job for its time, though.
Do you have a vid? I'd really be interested in seeing it, esp since it has Dara Singh.Big smileEmbarrassed
Clap
I have a question. In the original Mahabharat, I don't think Draupadi says "Andha ke putr Andha" does she? Because a few days back, when I was looking for the Vastra Haran epi, I went a few VCDs back accidentally and rewatched the part where Draupadi laughed at Duryodhan. In the original story, she (along with all the Pandavas except Dharmraj) just laugh at Duryodhan for his mistake before Nakul and Sahadev eventually help him out...no where does it say that Draupadi insulted him further.
the way it's written in most texts and novellized versions I've read, she's watching him walk through the palace and being extremely rude towards the servants, which really upsets her so she says what she says to burst his bubble... brc kinda implied that, showing him scoff at the maids as he passed them... but had he played it up a bit, the comment would've been more in context... while I don't remember the exact wording (will look it up though), I do know she does actually say something along with laughing. Hmm, if so, then BRC should have shown a bit more of Duryodhan's rudeness so that it would seem to us that he deserved the insult...not saying he didn't anyway, but looking at it from a critic's view, some may (and do) interpret the scene as Draupadi being unnecessarily rude...the comments in youtube by some people under that scene from BRC's MB are really Dead...which is why I wish BRC had handled that scene a bit better. I never saw that scene from SK though....do you know which dailymotion or youtube vid might have it? I want to see how RS (or whoever else did it since we know RS didn't) did that scene.   
Didn't like how BRC did that...Draupadi was a virtuous lady, I don't think she'd have insulted Dhritatastra, who was like her father-in-law, would she?
lol maybe she wouldn't, but whiney loser that he was, I cerainly would LOLHaha, I'd be there with yout.Evil Smile
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T13:57:26Z
Guys, here is the Ganga/Sitaji sig I was working on this morning but forgot to post....

0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T15:02:22Z
the ganga-siya sig is gorgeous, lovely choice of pics Clap
and lol I never rewatch those tacky epis of sk so I don't remember the epi Will try to find it, sagararts did the whole mahabharat section on his channel), but he didn't have her say that exactly, from what I remember... it was still RS doing the screenwriting, and if he was opting for a softer draupadi he obviously wouldn't have her say anything like that...
and here's a bit of the vastraharan scene from the dara singh movie, the dialogue's dubbed over in russian but thankfully they left the awesome song alone... will try to find the whole movie, but until then:
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E2ALWFaJ4hE[/YOUTUBE]
0 Likes this
Posted: 2010-01-03T15:04:50Z
and here is dara himself as bhim Big smile
0 Likes this