I want to make it Big - Wasna Ahmed

niveditha thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 14 years ago
WASNA AHMED
[03 Aug 2009]

"I WANT TO MAKE IT BIG"

Yet another sweet, innocent face to flash on our TV screens is that of the 19-year-old Wasna Ahmed. At a time when most of us were still bunking lectures, stuffing our faces in the college canteen and dreaming big impossible dreams as we idled through our stuffy lectures, Wasna went and did what she always wanted to do. She became an actress.

Born and brought up in Kolkata, it was immediately post her class 10 results that Wasna moved to Mumbai to fulfil her childhood ambition. She speaks in a rather childlike voice that makes her seem younger than her 19 years. "All kids, while growing up, say they'd like to be a doctor or something like that.

I'd always say I want to be an actress. I never changed my mind. So my sister told me if I got really good marks in my 10th board exams, she'd take me to Mumbai to fulfil my dreams. I wasn't even good at my studies, but I worked hard and got a decent percentage. And as promised, she got me here," she says, a bright smile lighting up her face.

After wrapping up her 12th grade from a suburban college, she decided it was time to pursue her original goals, which was acting in any sphere and form. So when a Balaji audition came her way to play the sweet-natured Dhara from Kasautii Zindagi Kay, she jumped at the opportunity. "I always wanted to observe what happens at an audition.

How dialogues are delivered, scenes are written and shots are taken. I thought this would be the perfect place to learn about all of that." As fate would have it, and as it happens in all perfect stories, Wasna was selected to play the character of Dhara and calls her Kasautii…sojourn a great learning experience – one of the best in her life.

Something we don't hear too often about the Kasautii… set but I sense the tone of genuineness in Wasna's voice as she waxes eloquent about Shweta Tiwari. "Kasautii…was such a beautiful experience, and working with Shweta was even better.

She'd help me improve my acting skills, with my lines, to get the intensity of the scene right. She taught me so much," she says, ever grateful, and then lets us in on an interesting anecdote, "My name Wasna, means inspiration or encouragement, which is exactly what Prerna (Shweta Tiwari's character in Kasautii…was called Prerna) means." Strange coincidence or what?    

Kasautii…then led her to her next project, Kahe Naa Kahe, where she found a great friend in co-star, Karan Hukku. Her advent in the show was a topic of discussion, especially as she was considered Balaji's lucky mascot and since she was replacing another Balaji discovery, Krystle D'Souza.

"It felt a little weird, but at the end of the day, it was a work opportunity. I was being selfish and thinking about myself. Anyway, it wasn't my call; it was Ekta madam's decision. I just took up the role happily." And therein made a friend for life in the form of Karan, her co-star.

"Karan and I are still in touch and we'll remain good friends forever. And contrary to popular perception, we're not those co-stars who never got along or who were romantically involved with each other. We just had a lot of fun on the set, and made each other laugh a lot."

Wasna then had her share of the reality pie with Kabhi Kabhii Pyaar Kabhi Kabhii Yaar on Sony, with her Kasautii…co-star Mridul Singhvi and his real life better half, Tina Sachdev. "There wasn't any hype or craze surrounding that show, but it was decent. At least I got an idea of what reality TV is like. And honestly, I wasn't disappointed.

I never get disappointed in life. I think whatever happens, you should think of it as good, rather than get affected by people's opinion of it. Many people say they like me, many people say they don't. It makes no difference to me. I get neither too happy nor too sad," she says, with the wisdom of someone far older.  

We move on from her past accomplishments to her current biggie on the small screen Zee's Shree, where she plays the title role. "It's my best show and my best work," she says the pride evident in her voice. "I relate so strongly to Shree; I'm just like her – sweet, innocent and bubbly. I feel certain closeness to this show; it's mine and I've shot for it from the beginning. Inshallah I'll be shooting for it right till the very end. That's how close to my heart it is.

We're a family on the set. We eat together, crack jokes; I'm good friends with my co-star Pankaj Tiwari too." Even as it is really difficult for Wasna to look ahead of Shree right now, she states that she's open to any project that might excite her. Her ambitious streak comes out when she talks about her filmi ambitions. "If I get a good project, why not do films? I'll definitely go for it. I too have that mentality like other television actors of eventually moving from television to films. I want to make it big," she says honestly.

One of those few actresses who haven't restricted themselves to working with just one channel, Wasna says this wasn't a conscious choice or decision. "It's just great luck that I got to work with every channel. But I never thought of the channel; I only thought of the work being offered to me before making my choice. I just hope ki aage bhi sab accha hi ho."

I delve into the personal side of her life, where she tells me she's the pampered baby, the youngest of four sisters. "They check on me always, and I stay with them. I've never spent a single day without my family. And I know they'll always support me." Seems like her family is the only support Wasna needs right now, because she claims she doesn't have a special somebody yet.

"I'm not seeing anyone. Maybe because I haven't met that person who I would meet and feel that this is who I want to spend the rest of my life with. Anyway, I shoot all day. There's no time to go out, no trace of a social life. I'm just another normal, simple girl. I hate wearing make-up when I go out. I love reading romance novels like Mills & Boons, and books about horoscopes.

And I'm the hugest Shah Rukh Khan fan; I love him and would love to work with him; inshallah, my wish should get fulfilled. And I would have loved to work with Rajeev Khandelwal, but he's already left television and gone to movies," she says moving from gushing exuberance to childish lamenting in a few seconds. Young as she may be, there's a strong head on those delicate shoulders. Wasna Ahmed has only just arrived.

* By Sneha Kamat

http://www.magnamags.com/index.php/200908034594/showtime/features/wasna-ahmed.html

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

devashree_h thumbnail
OMG...she too loves Rajeev Khandelwal. Welcome to the club Wasna.😆She sounds very honest and very modest.Thanks.
ALUJNA21 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 8
it's a stale article as it was already posted on magnamags,time ago