Ganesh Leela

Ganesh Leela :: Daily Discussion Corner - Page 7

sattvik thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 14 years ago
I think they do a Sarawati Visarjan after Vasant Panchami too....

I'm sure they must do a Lakshmi Visarjan, because there was the story where Lakshmi went into the ocean and they had to do the Sagar Manthan to get her back.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

_rajnish_ thumbnail
A quick question- Does the Shiv-dhanush which Ram destroyed during sita swaymvar was same which shiv use to kill triprasur❓, Shiv has used that dhanush to kill a demon but can't remember the name.
akhl thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Yes, it was the same bow. In Valmiki Ramayan it is written that when Parshuram challenged Ram after Ram had broken Shiv-dhanush, then Parshuram told the story of the Shiv-bow, which Ram had broken. He says that the bow was used by Lord Shiv
in the fight against Tripurasur.

_rajnish_ thumbnail
yes i got it, thanks avinash, and so shiv is also called Tripurari😊
sattvik thumbnail
That would make sense that he would be called Tripurari because he killed Tripurasur.

Does Tripura Sundari have anything to do with this?
desichica thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
oh good question Rajnish....adding on to the Shiv Dhanush, I wanted to know how it is possible that Ramji did the Pratyancha (*spelling*) during Sita Swayamvar, and also Lord Krishna did the Pratyancha before reaching his Mama Kansa...i remember this watching in BRC's Mahabharat...but always was curious is how that is possible. Or was that just a lil addition BRC put in Mahabharat?!

I just wanted to know if Lord Shiva does have multiple Dhanush's that only Lord Vishun's Avatars have been able to successfully handle?  😕
_rajnish_ thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: desichica

oh good question Rajnish....adding on to the Shiv Dhanush, I wanted to know how it is possible that Ramji did the Pratyancha (*spelling*) during Sita Swayamvar, and also Lord Krishna did the Pratyancha before reaching his Mama Kansa...i remember this watching in BRC's Mahabharat...but always was curious is how that is possible. Or was that just a lil addition BRC put in Mahabharat?!

I just wanted to know if Lord Shiva does have multiple Dhanush's that only Lord Vishun's Avatars have been able to successfully handle?  😕

yes suniti di both bow are different. The one which Ramji broke was one which shiv ji used to kill Tripurasur, this bow was given to parsuram by shiv ji, parsuram then gave back that bow to one of the ancestor of king Janak which Ramji broke. And the one which krishna broke was also shiv dhanush which was given to one of the ancestor of king Ugrasena, but I don't know detail of this shiv bow as to whom and why shiv ji gave this bow. probably vibhisana, akhl or satvvik explain this. Ones when I visited Janakpur in Nepal I remember few KMs from Janakpur there is a place where a part of bow which Ramji broke is kept. I visited that place too. Probably the bow of shiv which Krishna broke was kept somewhere near Mathura preserved. but i am not sure of this too.
desichica thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
Thanks Rajnish...i remember the one Ramji broke part from RF...but always wondered the same for the one Shri Krishna broke!!!!
sattvik thumbnail
Oh I don't know about this. I thought that Shiv only had one bow, which Ram broke, I had no idea of Krishna with the bow at all. Sorry can't help you there!
Vibhishna thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
I'm seeing this thread after a long time. Here's what I know.

Viswakarma was the one who built the two bows, both knows as Shiv Dhanush. I am not sure if these were also a part of the weapons which were created by chiselling off a part of Surya Dev's brilliance so that Sandhya and He could live together again.

One was given to Lord Vishnu by Lord Shiva himself and the other one was with Lord Shiva. And the other one was handed down to one clan of Kshathiriyas. I am not sure how it landed in Lord Parasuram's hands. He may have obtained it through his penance - I am not sure. He gave this bow to one of King Janak's ancestors for safekeeping.

The bow which was given to Lord Vishnu came to the hands of one of the Lunar Dynasties and as far as I know it was there with the Yadavas for a long time.

About Lord Shiva having the name Tripurari - which means destroyer of Tripura (another name which has the same meaning is Tripurantaka - I think this name is used in Shiva Tandava Stotra) This is the story I read long ago.

Tripura was a set of cities built by Viswakarma for three demons who were brothers. They asked for the boon that that the 3 cities can be destroyed only when the three cities aligned themselves. I read this story long ago. I think the 3 cities kept floating in the sky and will alligne themselves once in a very long time. The Devas were harrassed by these 3 demons and they prayed to Lord Shiva to destroy the 3 cities. Lord Shiva came like a warrior with his armour, chariot, bow (the Shivdanush) and arrows. He shot at the 3 cities when they were alligned and destroyed them.

And the last question which trendytalk had asked - I too had wondered about it but never found the answer.
Edited by Vibhishna - 14 years ago