Posted: 14 years ago
For those of you interested, I have found a site that gives information about many Mewar rulers, which I found whilst doing research on Meerabai, who was a bahu of Chittod/Mewar about 100 years after Ratan Singh and Padmini.

Website: https://www.eternalmewar.in/User/Research/index.aspx

Also, Chittod is famous for Jauhar as Rani Karnavati also committed Jauhar in 1535, but did you know she was married to Rana Sanga. Rana Sanga was also Meerabai's father-in-law. Padmini's Jauhar was in 1303, the first Jauhar, the third Jauhar was in 1536.

Also, check out some of my research here:
This is confusing, is it Sagar's mistakes?

Lastly, did you know there was another Ratan Singh, who ruled from 1527 to 1531, Rana Sanga's son?
Edited by sattvik - 14 years ago
Originally posted by sattvik

For those of you interested, I have found a site that gives information about many Mewar rulers, which I found whilst doing research on Meerabai, who was a bahu of Chittod/Mewar about 100 years after Ratan Singh and Padmini.

Also, Chittod is famous for Jauhar as Rani Karnavati also committed Jauhar in 1535, but did you know she was married to Rana Sanga. Rana Sanga was also Meerabai's father-in-law. Padmini's Jauhar was in 1303, the first Jauhar, the third Jauhar was in 1536.

Lastly, did you know there was another Ratan Singh, who ruled from 1527 to 1531, Rana Sanga's son?
thanx satvik 4 da site information.i hav read so many  history books but didn't remember Rana Sanga's son Ratan Singh but u may b rite. i"ll confirm later on. i remember a movie on Meera Bai in which Vinod Khanna played da role of Meera Bai's husband whose was played by Hemamalini. but i can't remember his name.
i"ll not b able 2 active 4 3-4days as i hav 2 go Shimla 4 my interview.

Thank you for the site. I too love to learn more about History of India and History of the world in general.

I'll check out your research for sure.

Your last piece of information reminds me of Samar Singh who was Pritha Bai's (Prithviraj Chauhan's sister) husband.

Many consider Chand Bardai's work - The Prithviraj Raso - as not very authentic. One of the reasons were that

The Raso states that Prithviraj Chauhan's sister Prithabai was married to Raval Samar Singh of Chittaurgarh.
Chronologically this is an impossibility as Prithviraj Chauhan (c.1200 AD) and Raval Samar Singh (c.1300 AD) are placed a century apart.

But Dr. Murlidhar H. Pahoja reasons out that

Guhil Raval Samar Singh, father of Raval Ratna Singh of Padmini fame, is placed in c.1300 AD, is true. But the Raso does not associate Samar Singh with the Guhil clan of Rajputs. It is true that Chittaurgarh was ruled by the Guhil Rajputs for centuries and the first Guhil Raval was the famed Bappa Raval. But the question here is who was the contemporary of Prithviraj, ruling at Chittaurgarh. Was there another Raval Samar Singh? Sure enough, an examination of the list of inscriptions brings forth another Samar Singh placed in the required time period. Songira Chauhan Maharaj Samar Singh Dev issued two inscriptions dated in Samvat 1239 and 1242 corresponding to AD 1182 and 1185 (Bhandarkar, List Nos. 396 and 406) 3. Kirtipal (also known as Kitu), father of Samar Singh Dev was the founder of the Songira branch of the Chahamanas at Jalor. Kirtipal took possession of Chittaurgarh by defeating Guhil Samant Singh4. Kirtipal was succeeded by his son Samar Singh. It was this Samar Singh who was ruling at Chittaurgarh during the times of Prithviraj and whose wife was Prithabai the sister of Prithviraj.

Please keep posting more information - I'd love to learn more.

Well since Ratan Singh (Padmini's husband) was around in 1300s, his dad would have been around since about 1250s, his dad Samar Singh was Prithviraj's brother-in-law, except in this show, Pratha is called Abha Devi, but that is normal as many people call others by different names.... but then that is still 50 years out right?

(Samar Singh ruled from 1273-1302)

Was Samar Singh ruling in the times of Prithviraj Chauhan?
😲 That is so wierd as I was doing some research of my own last night. Great minds like alike ey?

So it was last night when I read about the 3 Jauhars and the second Ratan Singh. At first I was majorly confused as the dates were way out but it doesn't take a genius to figure out who was who and when 😳.

Well since Ratan Singh (Padmini's husband) was around in 1300s, his dad would have been around since about 1250s, his dad Samar Singh was Prithviraj's brother-in-law, except in this show, Pratha is called Abha Devi, but that is normal as many people call others by different names.... but then that is still 50 years out right?

(Samar Singh ruled from 1273-1302)

Was Samar Singh ruling in the times of Prithviraj Chauhan?

After reading Dr. Murlidhar H. Pahoja's reasoning I thought that both the Samar Singhs were different.

Few more excerpts from Dr Murlidhar's explanations:

There are available documents of the time of Samar Singh which corroborate the marriage of Prithabai and Samar Singh. These are as follows:

1) Letter from Prithviraj dated Anand Samvat 1143 (1175 AD) to Acharaj Rishikesh telling him that he has been
assigned to Prithabai as part of her dowry.

2) Letters of Raval Samar Singh to Acharaj Rishikesh.

(i) Dated Anand Samvat 1139 (1171 AD) welcoming him as a part of Prithabai's entourage and assigning him his rights.

(ii) Dated Anand Samvat 1145 (1177 AD) stating that the village of Moi is being granted to Acharaj Rishikesh.

3) Letter of Prithabai to her son informing him that Samar Singh has been killed in battle and I am performing Sati, please take care of Rishikesh and his children.

It is clear from the above that Raval Samar Singh of the Raso is a Songira Chauhan ruler and not a Guhil King and that this Raval Samar Singh was ruling at Chittaur and was married to Prithabai

Besides, if we follow the serial Dharthi ka Veer Yodha Prithviraj Chauhan, Samar Singh died before Prithviraj Chauhan did. Do they show Samar Singh alive in this serial? And is Abha Devi mentioned to be Prithviraj Chauhan's sister? Sorry, please bear with my ignorance. I haven't watched this serial regularly and I still haven't registered in my mind who is who in the serial so far.

I think this site might help a bit for some further research:

http://www.google.co.in/search?q=Chittaurgarh&hl=en&sa=G&tbs=tl:1&tbo=u&ei=2w2BSpGPBZz27AOK7OG8CQ&oi=timeline_result&ct=title&resnum=16

Well, this is really confusing and pretty much interwined with the fact if Prithviraj Raso is really authentic or not.

I think answers to these questions might help . . .

Which clan of Rajputs did Rana Singh and Abha Devi belong to?

If the rulers of Chittorgarh belonged to Gohil/Guhil clan of Rajputs, then, were they defeated somewhere in the middle?

If so who ruled after them?

One more piece of information (this might not strictly adhere to the present discussion) - The Gohil Rajputs were considered to be Suryavanshis. That means they were either descendents of either Lord Ram's sons or nephews, right?

i m glad 2 see so many ppll discussing abt history. i"ll later on comment on it after doing my own research as i hav many history books. but i m remembering dat i hav read sumwhere dat Rana Ratan Singh was a Chauhan ruler.i hav read in a book dat Chauhan, Chalukyas, Pratihars & Parmars were Agnivanshi as they were supposed 2 b originated from da  "agni kund" at Mount Abu which was performed 2 hav warrior class after Lord Parshuram said 2 exterminated all da Kashtriyas.  for more info  i"ll later on tell as from 2marrow i hav 2 go for my interview for 3-4 days.
Originally posted by tiny15

i m glad 2 see so many ppll discussing abt history. i"ll later on comment on it after doing my own research as i hav many history books. but i m remembering dat i hav read sumwhere dat Rana Ratan Singh was a Chauhan ruler.i hav read in a book dat Chauhan, Chalukyas, Pratihars & Parmars were Agnivanshi as they were supposed 2 b originated from da  "agni kund" at Mount Abu which was performed 2 hav warrior class after Lord Parshuram said 2 exterminated all da Kashtriyas.  for more info  i"ll later on tell as from 2marrow i hav 2 go for my interview for 3-4 days.

I'll wait for your post. I love to learn more and I don't have that many history books. I did read about the Agnivanshi clans. Not only Agnivanshi but there were also Suryavanshis, Chandravanshis, Nagavanshis and Rishivanshis among the Rajput clans.

All the best for your interview 😊
Wow, so many Vanshis, any more?

Also, Samar Singh isn't said to be Prithviraj Chauhan's brother-in-law in the show. Samar Singh and Abha Devi are both alive.

From the site in the first post, there is a Samant Singh who ruled from 1172 A.D. - 1179 A.D.

It could be Samant Singh that was married to PrithaBai not Samar Singh, the one in this show.

The info on Samar Singh has nothing on Prithviraj Chauhan:
"Samar Singh 1273 AD - 1302 AD

Around eight inscriptions and texts provide information on some of the endowments and grants made by Samar Singh. These include the two Chittorgarh inscriptions of 1278 AD and 1287 AD, the Abu inscription of 1285 AD, the Dariba inscription of 1299 AD, the Chirwa inscription of 1273 AD and the Rasiya-ki-Chhatri inscription of 1274 AD. He was the first to have firmly established himself in Chittor and in the 1274 AD inscription gives the genealogy of his family. (Pinhey: 1996 :p.9) Jainism was probably the dominant belief at the time in Chittor though other beliefs of the various sub-sects of Jainsim also existed during this period. From the Jain 'Anchala-gachchha-pattavali' there is evidence to show that the Rawal banned the killing of animals in his kingdom after listening to the preaching's of Jain Acharya Amitsimha Suri. (Hooja:2006:p.328)."

So maybe, Samar Singh isn't related to Prithviraj Chauhan....

Can anyone give me info to when Samar Singh of Prithviraj Chauhan times died, like what battle did he die in? I know its the Battle of Tarain, but which one?

Also, GOOD LUCK TINY 😃
I too thought that Pritha's husband might have been Samant Singh . . . But I was not sure.

I have to read more to understand more about the Rajput families. It is quite difficult to separate a string of information for the tangle our History presents 😕