•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 14 years ago

Baichung Bhutia, once nicknamed 'The Sikkimese Snipper', is set to shoot back legally after Mohun Bagan imposed a six month suspension.

Baichung Bhutia is still mum on his suspension issue. But, that things are not in a stalemate situation is aptly proved by Ushanath Bannerjee holding a press conference on Tuesday at the Calcutta Sports Journalist club.

Ushanath is a lawyer by profession and is also the legal adviser of the Football Player's Association (FPAI) of which Baichung is the president. Ushanath is also the lone Indian representative in the five member legal council of International Football Player's Association (FIFRO) recognized by FIFA.

Speaking on the superstar's behalf the lawyer has demanded manfully that Mohun Bagan's suspension decision has no legal validity.

What makes him think so? Ushanath clarified: "There are definitely loopholes in the entire issue. If Baichung wants to move to the court he will have the law on his side. But it will be entirely his decision as to which path he wants to tread."

What makes him so confident? To this question Ushanath would put across the following points:

Clause 22 a(a) of the IFA constitution clearly mentions you cannot take to task any footballer without giving him a proper hearing. This was not done by Mohun Bagan in case of Baichung. Even the letter which was handed over to the footballer doesn't contain the word "showcause". It only mentions a few allegations.

Mohun Bagan has no right to suspend Baichung as he is a free player. He definitely has a contract with the club till 2010 but the 2009-2010 agreement comes in to effect once he becomes registered with IFA. As for the 2008-2009 contract is concerned it has become null-n-void once the season has got over. How can one suspend a free player at the end of a season?

1. Mohun Bagan officials are claiming that Baichung had not taken permission for the reality show. Whereas reports claim that the coach Karim Bencharifa had stated Baichung did speak to him for permission. If Baichung had abstained from practice then why was he not pulled up at that time?

The IFA officials do agree that the Bagan officials have floundered strongly by not giving Baichung a chance to speak his mind. They are keeping a close eye on the matter.

Baichung can approach the IFA (governing body of football in West Begal) for justice. He can even approach the All India Football Federation (AIFF) through IFA to sort out the issue or even appeal to the International Court of Law for Sports in Lausanne for assistance.

His legal adviser Ushanath Bannerjee clearly stated,"We will state our course of action in a few days time."

Meanwhile, Mohun Bagan officials are confident that they have done the right thing: "Mohun Bagan is a huge institution; we also have our legal consultants. Baichung has taken the wrong path. He should have come to us instead of going to the lawyer."

Only time will tell, who has really treaded the right path. But there is no doubt that this is set to become a real bitter battle…

From what we know of Baichung through JDJ…I don't believe for a second that Baichung would in any case neglect Football/Soccer for anything…

I remember him leaving to play games on Saturday at the risk of getting straight elimination had he come in the face off…

I believe that Baichung's first comment and always will be Football/Soccer…

Originally posted by waterlilly

From what we know of Baichung through JDJ?I don't believe for a second that Baichung would in any case neglect Football/Soccer for anything?

I remember him leaving to play games on Saturday at the risk of getting straight elimination had he come in the face off?

I believe that Baichung's first comment and always will be Football/Soccer?

I agree with you 100%..you have a point here..
guys this is all but nothin club rivalry,East bengal is interested in signin BB n mohun bagan doesnt wanna loose it's star player sup all this things 2 defer d transfer,all around d world clubs do so . n BB lyk odrs hav switched clubs many tyms ,i fail 2 see d big difference Edited by charminggenie - 14 years ago
nice article honey thansk...