Posted: 14 years ago
Baichung Bhutia: Having A Ball

Baichung Bhutia has fans all over India. They know him for his prowess on the football field, but no one expected the sportsman to gain fans for his dance moves as well. The footballer surprised judges as well as viewers of Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa with his superb performances. However, Baichung isn't surprised himself; in fact he expected to do well.

He says, "My main motive for participating in Jhalak Dikhhla Jaa was to learn how to dance well. I expected to do well on the show. I always give it my best. I have been learning things every week here. I don't bother about marks but I listen to the comments. I am happy when my performance goes well and the judges like it."
Baichung credits part of his success to having a great choreographer. He adds, "Sonia is the best choreographer so I do not mess with her steps! I try my best with the time I have to practice and I do get tired. I have to finish my matches so it becomes tough to manage."

The footballer also claims he has an advantage over the other contestants, "As a sportsperson, I have that ability to grasp things quickly. I just have to give my 100% to the steps given to me by Sonia."

And now, he is approached in public not just for the sport he plays but also for his routines on Jhalak. He says, "Now, whenever I hang out, people come up to me and compliment my performance. My family as well as the audience is very supportive. I have never danced before. Whatever little I did was in clubs or after winning matches."

Baichung would like to dance to a folk number next. He says that because of his profession, he is used to performing under pressure, adding, "I still remember the compliment Sarojji gave me. She said that I have the potential to perform well but I need to be more expressive. Even my co-contestants tell me that I look very confident performing. I have been competing for many years so this is not new to me. Everyone is better dancer than me here."

As for the wildcard round, Gauhar Khan was not his choice of entrant. Baichung says, "I wanted Mohinderji to come back."

Baichung now recommended dance to everyone, saying, "It's not easy but it's a very good way to keep fit. You can also have fun. For me, it is nice way of exercising."

Next week, Baichung will perform to O Haseena Zulfon Wali, which, he admits, he is struggling to lip sync.

http://www.indya.com/news/newsDetails.aspx?xfile=2009/April/News_20090429_134

• Sonali Joshi/Hill Road Media
  • Wednesday, April 29, 2009

• Posted: 14 years ago
    thanks alot abigail..he's good dancer n a very good player...
    thank you for the article i cant wait to see his performance
    Thanks for the article...he is putting in a lot of effort to learn and dance.
    thanks..hope he continues to perform well.
    i wanna c if he does the lipsynch
    INTERESting article thanks dear for sharing
    Thanks would be looking forward to his performance. in Fact everyones performance. Thanx for the article

The thing which attracts the most about Baichung-Sonia pair is that they let their dance do all the talk. No tall claims!

Also, if anyone has improved then it is Baichung. He was a complete non-dancer and now has learned so much so fast.

Bhaichung and Sonia do work really hard…they have improved so much since the beginning …I sincerely hope they do well….