TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 15 years ago
A scene from Howrah Bridge

The man who gave us Aradhana and Kati Patang
One of Hindi cinema's legendary directors Shakti Samanta passed away on April 9. He gave us some of the most beautiful films, but the younger generations may not realise his immense contribution.
When Chief Correspondent Syed Firdaus Ashraf met him at a film function five years ago, no one even recognised the great man. He was one of the first directors who discovered Europe's beauty in An Evening In Paris long before Yash Chopra made Switzerland a popular tourist destination. We take a look at his best movies -- reasons why Shakti Samanta will always be missed. Howrah Bridge, 1958 A murder mystery, starring Ashok Kumar and Madhubala, the film reminds you of the Hollywood classic Casablanca in the way it was shot.

O P Nayyar made some brilliant music for it -- like Mera Naam Chin Chin Chu, picturised on Helen, and Aaye Mehrbaan, on Madhubala. Item numbers, if you can call it that, didn't look half as sexy as Helen's naughty dance in this film.

A scene from Kashmir Ki Kali

Kashmir Ki Kali, 1964
If Satyajit Ray discovered Sharmila Tagore in Apur Sansar, it was Shakti Samanta, who introduced this beautiful actress to Hindi cinema in Kashmir Ki Kali.
The film, also starring Shammi Kapoor, showed Kashmir in all its glory, and had a great story to tell as well.

O P Nayyar gave beautiful music once again. Subhaan Allah and Yeh Chand Sa Roshan Chehra, both sung by Mohammed Rafi, were instant hits.

A scene from An Evening In Paris

An Evening In Paris, 1967
The Shammi-Sharmila team got together once again in An Evening In Paris. Always one to experiment, Shakti Samanta was the first director to shoot an actor hanging out of a helicopter. In a romantic moment never captured on screen before, Shammi's character was trying to woo Shamila, who was water-skiing, by singing Aasman Se Aaya Farishta.

And that was another first as well. Sharmila was one of the first heroines to wear a swimsuit, and look good in it

A scene from Aradhana (1969)

Aradhana, 1969
Aradhana made Rajesh Khanna a superstar overnight.
The story was unconventional, and showed Sharmila Tagore as an old woman -- something most actresses at their peak never dared to do. The film dealt with love, pre-marital sex, patriotism and lost and found love. It had beautiful music scored by S D Burman, with the song Mere Sapno Ki Rani still inspiring commercials.

The song Baagon Mein Bahar Hai, sung by Mohammad Rafi, was one of the rare songs picturised on Rajesh Khanna, as most of his songs were sung by Kishore Kumar.

A scene from Kati Pang (1970)

Kati Patang, 1970
Sharmila lost out a memorable role when she refused to do Kati Patang. Her loss turned out to be Asha Parekh's gain.
The songs -- like Yeh Jo Mohabbat Hai, Pyaar Deewana Hota Hai, Yeh Shaam Mastani and Jis Gali Mein Tera Ghar -- became an instant rage.

Shakti Samanta's favourite actor Rajesh Khanna starred in this film.

A scene from Amar Prem (1971)

Amar Prem, 1971
Amar Prem gave Rajesh Khanna some of his most unforgetable dialogues -- like the way he said 'Pushpa' and 'I hate tears.' The film told a simple story of a woman's fight to uphold her dignity. Shakti Samanta put life into it, making it one of the most memorable Hindi films of our times.

That's why the songs have such beautiful lyrics by Anand Bakshi like Kuch Toh Log Kahen Ge, Logon Ka Kaam Hai Kehna, Yeh Kya Hua Kaise Hua and Chingari Koi Bhadke.

A scene from The Great Gambler (1979)

The Great Gambler, 1979
Amitabh Bachchan-Zeenat Aman-starrer The Great Gambler focused on, as the title says, gambling. Shakti Samanta shot the film extensively in Europe, and captured Venice beautifully.

The film will always be remembered especially because of the song, Do Lufzon Ki Hai Dil Ki Kahani, sung by Asha Bhosle.

A scene from Barsaat Ki Ek Raat

Barsaat Ki Ek Raat, 1981
Once again, Shakti Samanta proved that he could make a wonderful film based a simple love story. Raakhi played a blind woman in love with Amitabh Bachchan, while Amjad Khan played the villain. The song Kaali Ram Ka Phat Gaya Dhol was a huge hit. Unfortunately for the director, he could not repeat his box office magic with Bachchan that he had with Rajesh Khanna. Shakti Samanta, it seemed, could not cater to the generation that loved the Angry Young Man.

Barsaat Ki Ek Raat was his last film of significance, and soon, he stepped down from the limelight by making duds.

Edited by TallyHo - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

swan20 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
May his soul rest in peace.......he's made some great movies.i love all the movies listed above.
Edited by swan20 - 15 years ago
TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
RIP he was a great film maker.....love almost all of his movies
lavienrose thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

may his soul rest in peace.

melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
awesome films! full of emotions and most importantly the songs! eternal and evergreen! R.D nd S.D were at their best for samanta films..

kati patang songs ..
yeh shaam mastani
pyaar diwana hota hai
na koi umang hai ... meri zindagi hai kya ek kati patang hai
yeh jo mohabbat hai
jis gali mein tera ghar!!!

amazing songs

then amar prem my fav album

chingari koi bhadke
raina beeti jaaye
yeh kya hua
bada natkhat hai re
kuch toh log kahenge

rest of the movies were brilliant in terms of music too .. i m glad that i hv seen all of them..and it was samanta who made rajesh khanna the superstar!
Sound thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Wow! I had no idea all these movies were made by the same man. The only one I havn't seen from this list is Howrah Bridge.

Aradhana and Kati Patang are 2 of my absolute favourites.

Kora Kaagaz tha yeh mann mera features Rajesh Khanna at his "handsomest" best😍

May SS's soul rest in peace
Edited by Sound - 15 years ago
TallyHo thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
This content was originally posted by: Sound

Wow! I had no idea all these movies were made by the same man. The only one I havn't seen from this list is Howrah Bridge.

Aradhana and Kati Patang are 2 of my absolute favourites.

Kora Kaagaz tha yeh mann mera features Rajesh Khanna at his "handsomest" best😍

May SS's soul rest in peace

Aradhana is one movie I like to revisit every now and then...and yes Kora kagaz tha ...is such a haunting melody...brings back a lot of nostalgia....playing antakshari on college picnics....beautiful mountains where I spend my childhood....the laid back days of the yore....😍
melancholic thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
and was roop tera mastana from aradhana rite? πŸ˜† when i ws small my mom used to stop me from watching this song on tv πŸ˜†....and i ws soo curious wats there in the song!! ahahhaa .. and today lolzzz. when i see aradhana or video of this song , i realise  that these days we see much more adult scenes in movies πŸ˜†..

Mrs-KaranKundra thumbnail
RIP he was a great film maker
simran1285 thumbnail

He was indeed a phenomenal director I have seen all of these films many many times. Kati Patang, Aradhana and Amar Prem are a few that I watch often even now!

Shakti Samanta and Hrishikesh Mukherjee are two of my most favorite directors, when in the mood for classics I usually watch one of their movies. Was watching Mili and Koshish this past week and I couldn't help but wonder what has happenened to our industry. From making such beautiful films we have gone to making such vulgar cinema.