•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 19 years ago
My time has just begun: Divya Dutta
By IANS
Jan 22, 2005, 09:56

home
Mumbai, Jan 22 (IANS) The versatile and underrated Divya Dutta finally seems to be getting her due. Her performance as the doughty and mischievous Pakistani maidservant in "Veer-Zaara" fetched her a nomination at the Screen Awards.

She raves about the film's maker Yash Chopra. "To just be associated with his banner is an instant passport to fame. I had done so many pivotal roles earlier. None got me the recognition that 'Veer-Zaara' has. It's such a pleasure to be directed by Yashji. He pampers you on the sets, treats you like a daughter."

"All these years of waiting and being taken for granted by filmmakers is finally over," Divya laughs. 

She has just returned after 10 extremely fulfilling days in Karachi where she shot for a TV mini series called "Tere Ishq Main..." - only to read reports in the Mumbai papers about her impending marriage.

"I was shocked to know I was getting married. No one had invited me to my own wedding," she giggles. Then turning serious, she admits: "I'm seeing someone and, yes, it's serious. I'm not a frivolous person. If I got into a relationship it must be for keeps. But marriage? Please! I've just started getting my due as an actress. Marriage is a long way off."

She reverts to her favourite topic...Karachi. "At first I was not sure what the experience would be like. One had heard about the hospitality extended to Indian artistes in Pakistan from Kirron Kher (who shot for 'Khamosh Pani' on the other side of the border) and others. But it's another thing to get a taste of it first hand. Believe me, the people of Karachi treated me like a queen. I can confidently say we're most welcome in our neighbouring country."

Divya plays the pivotal part in "Tere Ishq Mein". "They had seen my work in 'Shaheed-e-Mohabbat Boota Singh' and 'Joggers Park'. When I first saw the director I wondered how he'd be able to carry it off. He's so young! But he was so much in-charge. And my Pakistani co-stars were exceptional. Such natural performances...even I had to lower my 'tenor' (sur)."

Divya was accompanied to Karachi by her mother, a native of the city. "She returned to the city after 55 years. It was a very sentimental homecoming for her."

This week Divya Dutta is in Chandigarh where she shot "Veer-Zaara". "Not only that but also 'Des Hoya Pardes', my new Punjabi film with singer-actor-producer Gurdas Mann. I had earlier done 'Shaheed...' with the same team."

Divya feels "Des Hoya Pardes" which premieres in Punjab and overseas this week has the potential to make the same emotional impact as "Shaheed..."

"It goes back to the 1984 anti-Sikh riots and portrays the lives of those Sikhs who had to leave India and seek political asylum in other countries for fear of being branded terrorists at home. It's a beautiful humane story and I've a role to die for."

She's extremely hopeful about the future. "My assignments have never looked better. I've films like the satire 'Dubai Returned' and the reality-based 'Kahani Gudiya Ki' lined up. I think my time has just begun."

Copyright 2005 by MusicIndiaOnLine.com

Posted: 19 years ago
Thanks for the info. I have always liked her. I wonder why she never became that famous!