Rules & Announcements

Regarding Username Changes

vijay thumbnail
Posted: 15 years ago
Hi Friends,

I know it has been quite some time since we announced that we are going to automate the username change feature where a member can change their username once in a year.

The reason to allow username change is that many times when we register we dont think that we would get addicted to the site so much and later we find it funny that we are using an odd username.

One of the best example is of our GM priya.nair who registered as "fortvpur" (short form of For TV Purposes) and later she got so involved that she wanted to be known by her Real ID. But that time it was easy as the number of members were fewer and requests for changes were less.

Before we start that feature we want to share that there are few changes and restrictions in the usernames as we are planning on features like Blogs and Micro Homepages and many times its very difficult to even type those names when we want to send them PMs so we wont be able to allow users with fancy characters in their usernames.

• Only alphanumeric (A-Z, a-z, 0-9, and - . _ ) is allowed.
  • Username cannot be less then 4 characters and more then 15 characters.

• Since we do not encourage frequent changes in usernames we suggest that before requesting change of username the member should think it through as once the change is done it wont be possible to change it again before a year. (we may increase the limit)

• We suggest that members use their real names instead of a character or celebrity name cause you never know when the show will end or when the character changes and you no longer want to use that username and also cause this is going to be the universal login for all our websites like BollyCurry.com and TellyBuzz.com

• This is available only to members who have reached "Senior Member" level or above only. Meaning it is NOT available to Groupie or Newbie.

Once the change usernames starts working we would request all the members who have invalid characters to change it to something of their choice (given that it is available).

Since there can be a lot of confusion with someone taking each others usernames we thought that once the username changes we wont make it available for someone else to take it for atleast 1 year.

Update as on 25th Feb 2009:

Well since many of the members have gone ahead and made changes to their usernames and we dont want that it create problems for others. So once you are logged in you can see a new link in the Footer of the page as Username Change Log using which you can find the new IDs of your friends.

http://www.india-forums.com/username_list.asp

Cheers,
Vijay
Edited by vijay - 15 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
The guidelines look great. One more thing i have seen some members registering with their phone number or email id. Can we include that in the list as well!!
Edited by *Shruti* - 15 years ago
vijay thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: *Shruti*

The guidelines look great. One more thing i have seen some members registering with their phone number or email id. Can we include that in the list as well!!

Hi,

Since now we wont be allowing @ sign so emails wont work.

Cheers
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Oh okkie vijay & what abt phone numbers. I had seen few members using their cell number as their id.
Ambrosia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
One more query VJ bro, will this feature be available for members of all groups(including newbies)? or is it activated once the member is a dazzler..
This will be of great help really, if we can change our IDs ourselves. It must be annoying for sree di to do these changes almost everyother day! Thanks for making things lot more easier.
sweet_shagun thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Well its a nice feature

Just My 2 cents,

There are members who use abrupt language in their ids, we need to add in the rule to have an id which doesnt have any abusive language,i feel if this is included it wud be good!!

Luv,

Shagun
umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Hey Vijay,

Nice idea. But don't you think we need to limit this only to certain groups such as the IF Dazzlers and not the newbies. This way, the newbies are abusing every feature/right IF has and it also gives some difference from group to group.
Naughty_n_nice thumbnail

That's nice Vijay, A few queries:

1. Is it possible to include at least the keyboard special characters like *, ~, # etc?

2. Could the limits be reconsidered? Minimum of 3 would be better, and maximum at least 20? Names don't normally get so long, but if there is a restriction on special characters, people will have to add numbers and things to their IDs so they aren't repeating.

3. There are a lot of IDs which are nowhere in use. Others may want to use this ID. Is it possible to reallocate the ID if the person has not visited IF in a year or something like that? For eg, I would love to have the ID: Sam. But there's a member with 2 posts who has it, who hasn't logged in since 2006!
sam
Last login:
12 December 2006 at 3:40am

Just a few of my questions, do clear them if possible.
-Sam

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Great!! Thanks!

I liked -
1. Once changed, feature disabled for 1 year from the date of change.
2. Taking each others id not possible for 1 year. (We can make this one longer)

It will be nice that the username changing feature has Dual confirmation i.e. they have to validate the new username NOT once but twice then there is no scope of errrr.

Thanks Again!
Edited by raj5000 - 15 years ago
minuu thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 7
Greeat! The guidelines look fair, can't wait! 😃