URpart-4 Valmiki Ramayan or dhoumit Ramayan

shareShare facebook twitter
Posted: 12 years ago
                            The Valmiki Ramayan or Dhoumit Ramayan

There are several Ramayans, but the Valmiki Ramayan is considered to be the standard among them. The Valmiki Ramayan does not include parts written by other authors just like the other Ramayans. The opinions of various researchers about this Ramayan are as follows.

When the fisherman Valya undertook chanting for sixty thousand years he finally became Sage Valmiki. According to another school of thought Sage Valmiki's real name was Ratnakar, not Valya the fisherman. Valmik is the name of a species of ants which builds anthills. These ants built an anthill on the body of a sage named Ratnakar. Hence people began calling him Sage Valmiki.

Rama was born a hundred and fifty years after Sage Valmiki wrote the Ramayan. According to some the Ramayan was written in the Satyayug and Rama was born in the Tretayug.

Sage Dhoumya was a friend of Sage Valmiki and Sage Bharadvaj. He has written the holy text 'Agnidhumavati' on the spiritual practice by inhalation of smoke (dhumrasadhana). Sage Valmiki and Sage Dhoumya lived together for twenty-two years. Sage Dhoumya made twenty-four amendments in the original Ramayan. Actually what we call the 'Valmiki Ramayan' should be the 'Dhoumit Ramayan'. The original Valmiki Ramayan was never available. The Valmiki Ramayan in use today is the one written in the Puranic period.
Sage Valmiki had taken a vow of not leaving the ashram (kshetrasanyas); hence Sage Dhoumya propagated the Ramayan. It was He who preached to everyone that Rama would be born and that the Ramayan would actually occur. He even told Sage Vasishtha whose ashram was situated at Prayag (Alahabad) in Vindhyachal about Rama.

thanks a lot for this precious info rajnishTongue

so SAGE DHOUMAYA propagated THE RAMAYAN written by sage VALMIKI Tongue

so SAGE DHOUMYA made amendments in the RAMAYAN written by sage VALMIKI

GREAT TO KNOW tht sage DHOUMAYA played a vital role in the propagation of RAMAYAN TongueClap

hey Rajnish according to this article Valmiki is not contemporary of Ram. But how its possible? Valmiki is not only author but alos one of the important character of this great Epic
Originally posted by coolpurvi

hey Rajnish according to this article Valmiki is not contemporary of Ram. But how its possible? Valmiki is not only author but alos one of the important character of this great Epic

yes,he is contemporary of ram because in those times people use to live more than 10000 years. he is also one of the important character of Ramayan. But he wrote the EPIC Ramayan much before Ram's birth. By the divya drishti Provided to him he knew everything which is going to happen in future and thus wrote the Ramayan. Remember what luv;kush speaks in uttar kanda to sri ram when they visit ayodhya that his guru sage valmiki has wrote the whole ramayana , the thing which happened , happining and will happen but recited to them( luv and kusha) only till present.

Edited by rajnish_here - 12 years ago
Rajnish,
thnx for da info.

wasnt Valmiki a ....something (sorry, cant remember what that word is...let me know and i'll edit it)....before becoming a sage. basically, wht ppl say is that  he used to steal  things from ppl passing a jungle. and when once Narad Muni came to taht jungle, he inspired Valmiki to chant Ram's name in order to get rid of his sins. but since he was diiferent in his nature he cudnt say Ram-Ram. seeing this Narad ji told him to chant 'Mara-Mara' instead of RamRam. Since he absorbed himself so deeply in the holy name, that the ants started to build their hills on his body, hence he got the name Valmiki.
this is wht ppl say. wht bout the fisherman Valya u jus mentioned then? u mean Valaya was his previous birth?

Edited by bharat999 - 12 years ago
Thanx so much for the info Rajnish...I was initially confused like Purvi was too...but I remember once you said that the Divya Dhristi provided to Valmiki ji & if i'm correct wasn't that blessing given by Lord Brahma himself!!!!!!

Awesome info Rajnish!!!
Originally posted by bharat999

Rajnish,
thnx for da info.

wasnt Valmiki a ....something (sorry, cant remember what that word is...let me know and i'll edit it)....before becoming a sage. basically, wht ppl say is that  he used to steal  things from ppl passing a jungle. and when once Narad Muni came to taht jungle, he inspired Valmiki to chant Ram's name in order to get rid of his sins. but since he was diiferent in his nature he cudnt say Ram-Ram. seeing this Narad ji told him to chant 'Mara-Mara' instead of RamRam. Since he absorbed himself so deeply in the holy name, that the ants started to build their hills on his body, hence he got the name Valmiki.
this is wht ppl say. wht bout the fisherman Valya u jus mentioned then? u mean Valaya was his previous birth?

Rajnish ji, thanks. I never knew most of this. Though I did know that SAge Valmiki lived long befre Lord Ram was born.

I read a story in which they depicted Valmiki as a hunter and a robber living in a forest and used to make his lving by stealing things from those who pass through the forest and hunting the wild animals. Once, when he was waiting to ambush the passers by, he spotted seven sages (the Saptha Rishis) coming that way. He waylaid them and ordered them to hand over everything they were carrying. They replied that they were sages and they do not have any possessions. He kept urging them to hand over whatever they have. One of them asked Ratnakar that he is doing so many sins for the sake of his family, but, will his family accept a share in his sins? Won't he suffer alone for all the sins he did till now. Ratnakar replied that his wife and child (perhaps children) will accept a part of his sins. The Saptha Rishis told him to check that with his family. He ordered them to remain there till he gets back and went to his home in the forest. He asked his wife and his kid(s) that surely they would share his sins as they share the spoils he brings home. They blatantly refused. They told him that his sins belong to him and him only. Ratnakar, totally shocked, returned to the sages and fell at their feet weeping and pleaded them to save him from his sins.

They told him to sit under the tree (a tree that was growing nearby) and keep repeating 'Ma - Ra' till they come back. (I thought the reason for this was that, at that time, Lord Vishnu's incarnation as Ram was known only to the Trinity and the great sages capable of knowing what was going to happen. Besides, I think no one would have any difficulty in repeating Lord Ram's name). As he kept repeating "Ma - Ra' he ended up saying 'Ra - ma'. He sincerely repeated 'RAMA' even through rough weather and even when ants built an anthill around him. After ages and ages, the Saptha Rishis cam to release him from his penance. And they said that he will be known to the world as Valmiki since he came out of an anthill (Valmika).

Later, when Maharishi Valmiki asked Maharishi Narad if there was a man who can be considered as the perfect ideal man, Maharishi Narad replied that indeed there was one (and only one) such person. He proceeded to say Lord Ram's story. Sage Valmiki was filled with rapture on hearing the life of Lord Ram. Later Lord Brahma appeared in his dream and told him to write the story of the Ramayana and that by his power he'll grant Valmiki the divine vision to view each and every scene in Lord Ram's life in detail. (It is possible that Sage Valmiki wrote the Ramayana as and when things happened in Lord Ram's life)

I too was wondering how Valmiki's Ramayan reaches us all - its supposed to have been written in the Tretha Yuga. It has reached us through the ages and now even in Kali Yuga we speak about it. I thought that Maharish Valmiki's desciples must have handed it down the generations. Ramayan is quoted in the Mahabharat in many occasions. I never knew about Sage Dhoumit. That was entirely new to me.

Thanks again for the information.
Rajnish, thanks very much for this wondeful post!!! I never knew that Valmikiji wrote the Ramayan before it happened. Thanks!Big smile

And Vibhishna, thanks for posting the story. I saw a Telugu Black and White Movie (very old) once on Valmiki's life that showed this story (more or less the same way). It's very interesting.

But the movie showed that Valmiki (in his youth) was once about to marry a princess of a wealthy kingdom, but he fell in love with a fisher girl and broke off the marriage. The princess cursed the fisher girl that since she stole her husband to be from her, she (the firsher girl) would be the reason that Valmiki becomes a theif and ruins his reputation. The firsher girl, in her pride, does not heed the curse, but many years later, when it happens, recalls the curse and meditates along with Valmiki, but the harsh weather did not go well with her and she died, attaining liberation. Does anyone know if this story is true?