Internet-Curse or Blessing for Teenagers

pj04 thumbnail
Posted: 19 years ago

Discussion of the week

We are going to post one very controversial topic every week and invite your opinion on it. However I request you to follow a few basic rules

1) these are just opinions and do not reflect a person's moral/social/ idealogical values so please refrain from name calling and personal attacks

2) keep the post decent (some topics might be infuriating). rest assured they are from what we encounter in our daily life and we expect a honest , healthy and intellectual debate.

3)if you have any ideas for the topics...please forward them to the moderators.

I hope you will take this opportunity to participate in this debate without being judgemental. Open mindedness and tolerance have been the greatest asset of this forum. Also please feel free to send us feedbacks if you would like to continue with these discussions or not.

Ok let's start: Our topic for this week is

" INTERNET CURSE OR BLESSING FOR TEENAGERS"

Internet has brought immense source of information closer to kids, the world seems like a global information sharing community, but all that information has robbed the kids of simple joys and  innocence, not to mention brought about an era of cyber crimes or crimes against kids brought about with the help of internet....what do you think ....has it helped the kids or made them more vunerable to a new dark world.

let the debate begin....

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rifhat thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

Everything to Human beings have their good and bad sides so i would say both as through internet the kids have their task cut out for their school projects and bad side to it is that it is also harmful for their innocent minds.

Rifhat.

bas02 thumbnail
Yep, agree with Rifhat. The internet is a great recource for so many things, however because of silly, corrupted people it has been misused. If extra caution is taken then one can avoid seeing the bad side of the internet. This is why parental controls have been introduced so when kids use the internet they are able to avoid stumbling across certain sites. I think overall the internet is very useful and helps us with so many things but there is always someone there who has to ruin it for others.
nali476 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
If you look back at history. All inventions have had both positive and negative effects. Unfortunately, the World Wide Web has also been placed into this category. But I would have to say that it has helped more than brought negative outcomes.
SONYA_K thumbnail
net surfing has its own positive and negative outcomes.its like the 2 different sides of the same coin.if a person uses it in a positive way,net surfing will always be good and safe!!but if a person uses it in a bad way,net surfing will always have bad results!!

i think anyone can use internet....😊

meghavi thumbnail

Nice topic PJ04👏👏

i agree with Bas02.  The internet, is a very useful thing.  It can find information for the projects that kids have, and they can play games on the internet.  i agree with Bas, when she said If extra caution is taken then one can avoid seeing the bad side of the internet.  When kids are on the internet i think a parent should always be there, untill the person using the internet, knows how to avoid the "bad side of internet." 

swadeshi2005 thumbnail
As I was watching the History Channel, someone said that the Internet was the discovery of the century. Truly all aspects of  commerce, education, finance, ... - life have been affected by this wonderful tool. Has it made kids and teens vulnerable? Perhaps. But then teens are vulnerable to a host of things. Let's take a simple example - A teen couple breakup, the boy is heartbroken, he takes a sleeping tablet pill to forget his despair and the same happens the next day and the next and the next ... are those tablets making the kids vulnerable? A few days ago I read that people were saying that kids have started on this new habit of sniffing cleaning chemicals. ... When I was introduced to the internet it was in my late teens and I found myself addicted to Chat rooms. Almost a year later I rarely found myself in the chat room. What made the transformation? My parents. When they saw me spending a lot of time on the INTERNET chatting they took intrest in what it was, what rooms I visited, who I spoke to, and such. The FBI has a dedicated division to tracing people impersonating as teens or kids trying to befriend kids with the intent of harm. Their advise to parents - be watchful and if upon serious insisting the kids to decide to meet with their chatting buddies, parents should accompany them on such meetings. The moral of the story, Internet is safe only if parents make it safe otherwise it is a no man's land where safety and security are just words.

In my opinion, Parents make a big difference when it comes to safety for the kids or teens. Sure teens rebel and are not easy to control but parents who have constantly given time, care, discipline, and have shown love have respect from their teens. Respect enough that they listen just as I did and many of my friends. For us the Internet was safe because our parents took the time out to make it safe for us.

*~puja~* thumbnail
The internet is a great thing for teens, helps with homework, research, making friend like here in India-forums, and gets them away from the television... im basically telling what the interent has done for me, but like everyone else said there are bad sides to it... everything has a good and bad side to it and basically we have to treat the internet the same way, enjoy it but you have to be cautious to all the bad things and not let it affect you...
ruta thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail

u said it all kanchidost..............

internet has its pros and cons.......

But internet has made life much more simpler and easier as it is a galore of information. Preparation of projects and assignments has now become easy for me as i no longer have to spend time searching for books in the school library.And i know for one thing that my mom and dad do a major chunk of their work on the net. So........yes, it has made the world into a global village..........

The internet has extended its accessibility to a mind-boggling array of information that has helped various business, commercial, industrial and governmental agencies perform variety of functions.

but i would'nt agree that it has robbed kids of their innocence.........self-control is a quality that has to be excercised everywhere..be it viewing the television, talking on the phone, hanging out with friends and so on and so forth.

till  the kids attain maturity i think the parents have a very commendable role to play, they must keep tap on what their kids to on the net...like till few years back my mum used to limit my time to one hour during which she would keep a check on what i did.

just as sugar is sweet and is liked by all, too much of it causes harm. In the same way, internet is a boon if used properly and a bane if not.

|Persephone| thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
everything has a good and bad side....
nothing is perfect not even humans....
so i would say that it is a blessing coz if we didn't have internet then we wouldn't have so many things that we do have now.