HIV test before marriage.. - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago
This is a great topic! I've thought about this before many times as im just a teen and think about future! Well, I think HIV test is necesary before marriage because if one starts it, then i guess it would continue! from husband to wife to child to etc! It would just continue so I'd say take the test before ruining anyone elses life! Incase if your love has HIV, then perhaps i wouldn't ever have sex with that person, but just become a friend!
Yaa, HIV test should be held before marriage as it'll save many lives (groom, bride, their coming child and their family members)
i agree............HIV test should Compulsory b4 marriage.... 😳
HIV test before marriage shud be made mandatory ......as it is for the better health of coming generations......this is the one of the solution to the problem created by us.....but still it does not serve the purpose of prevention as its very difficult to find symptoms at initial stages(i think so ..as i am unaware of the latest developments ).....so bringing qwareness and educating people is also important
indygirl wrote:

OMG !! They will freak and start bringing in character witnesses to prove that their girl is pure and if the girls parents asked the guy .....he'll probably break the rishta .

never has a truer word been said! of course they will freak out and the boys family will break the rishta. but with hiv spereading so much in india ( not to mention SA)getting the tests done is wiser. these days we need pre nups agreements too considering the number of marriages that are going awry too!
The question is not whether it is ethically good or not. The question is about whether it is wise medically to have a HIV test done before marriage. Any sensible and wise couple would be in favour of it. And also another thing should be kept in mind. The test should be done for both the members of the couple concerned. It is for their good, and good for their offsprings. As regards other STDs, I don't think it is a necessity as most of them are curable nowadays.
One should keep in mind that AIDs can be contracted by means other than sexual contact. One can get it from an infected blood transfusion received, by sharing needles including tattoo needles. The possibility of one getting it from a razor used on an infected person in a saloon cannot also be ruled out.
As regards Government making it mandatory, if at all done, should be applicable to all forms of marriage. However, making it mandatory is a very complicated issue, and I don't the government will pass any regulations about it. At most they can conduct awareness programs encouraging going to be married couples to do such tests.
Finally about a platonic relationship after marriage, I think it is a far fetched idea. Theoretically it may exist, but in practice I doubt it. I am not going to discuss it here, as it is a topic for seperate discussion.
First I would like to point out that the topic is on HIV - and whether one should conduct a premarital check up on it or not.
Second, I have stated that most other STI are curable. That is a fact.
Third, very few HPV infections lead to cervix cancer. There are other factors that can lead to cervical carcinoma, and I am not going to discuss it here. It is extremely unlikely that one will die from HPV/genital warts (root cause of both both are the same).
PIV is caused by STI that can be cured. Also infertility and ectopic pregnancy can occur in normal women.
Originally posted by Vishesh

Mad_Cap, ur comments made me relieved..

From now on..i will always advocate pre-marital checkup..HIV test is just one part of it.

Just consider advocating a pre marital HIV test - considering the nearly epidemic nature of this killer disease across the globe. As the debate on this topic continues, consider as a first step becoming aware of this disease, and try to play some part, however small it may be in spreading that awareness amongst others.
Best would be if India made it mandatory and would give a marriage certificate only after the HIV results are produced by a certfied Doctor !!!
But all those who don't register their marriage , they'd be left out , coz they'll never get it done willingly. But at least targetting people who want to do registered marrige is the first step in saving lives.