Site Updates and Issues Discussion Thread #6 - Page 17

Posted: 1 years ago

Originally posted by oye_nakhrewaali

@last para, But if a person tags an actor using tags instead of content tags, isn't it the same thing, and as advised by the legal advisor, we'll have to remove the tags, won't we? 

Character names are fictional. In tags also we cannot use the real person name.

Unless there is a clear disclaimer on the page stating that all names used in the story are work of fiction and has no link to any real person. .. how we see in movies.

Edited by vijay - 1 years ago

Originally posted by vijay

Visit Streak Badge design is done. We should have it tomorrow (hopefully).

Sorry didn't get the second question of yours "can we have more than 2 show on our posts if possible".  Please elaborate.

thanks for the updates

To further explain for example your post shows anniversary and engager 500 badge only. Can we have more badges show on our posts if possible 

Originally posted by priya185

thanks for the updates

To further explain for example your post shows anniversary and engager 500 badge only. Can we have more badges show on our posts if possible 

Will explore this for sure.

Well we discussed with the legal expert on this.. and he suggested not to tag Real person even if we mean to refer them just as their character.

Whether it's the Fan Fiction section or the forum of a particular show, the legal implications must be the same.

For example, if you go to the actor discussion page for Shivangi Khedkar, the second topic from the top ... and for Sai Ketan Rao, the first topic at the top is a fan fiction.

This example happens to glorify graphic sexual violence against her character by his character using obscene language, but even an inoffensive fan fiction shouldn't be tagged with a real person's name.

Moderators have been aware of this issue for over two months, with follow-ups from my side only, so please don't reply telling me to contact them privately.

Character names are fictional. In tags also we cannot use the real person name.

Unless there is a clear disclaimer on the page stating that all names used in the story are work of fiction and has no link to any real person. .. how we see in movies.

@italics: So if the author states in a disclaimer that the story is only a work of fiction and it has no connection with any real person, will it then be legally okay to use the tag of the actor/actress by his/her real name?

Originally posted by tournesol

@italics: So if the author states in a disclaimer that the story is only a work of fiction and it has no connection with any real person, will it then be legally okay to use the tag of the actor/actress by his/her real name?

Haan, like we do face claims while writing fiction. So it's the actor playing that character but not really. 

I think we need a bit more clarity. 

The point of the disclaimer is that any similarity to real persons is coincidental. The fictional character's name being the same as any real person's name has to be unintentional. Deliberate use of an actor's tag while disclaiming "no link to any real person" is a contradiction. A disclaimer that no reasonable person would believe has no legal merit.

Here's an example. An actor named Ram Anil Kapoor played a character named Ram Amarnath Kapoor on a TV series called Bade Achhe Lagte Hain. A fan fiction about Ram Amarnath Kapoor should not be tagged "Ram Anil Kapoor" to exploit the actor's fame (because he only consented to play the character as per his contract, not as written by any fan fiction author). Tagging the story with "Ram Amarnath Kapoor" to exploit the character's fame would probably be allowed under fair use. Use of the tag "Ram Kapoor" would best be accompanied by the "any similarity to real persons is coincidental" disclaimer because the author is probably aware of a real person who has this name.

I am a bit unsure of it as Wattpad let’s you use the name of actors playing the character. Infact they have a separate page where you can add your character and can tag actors along with it… 

Originally posted by BrhannadaArmour

The point of the disclaimer is that any similarity to real persons is coincidental.

Yes, that's the point of disclaimers. Fiction disclaimers are usually worded like this: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, business, events and incidents are the products of the author’s imagination. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

And if you closely observe my previous post, I was following the language of disclaimer in the post I was replying to. Any misunderstanding of my previous disclaimer is purely unintentional. :)

The fictional character's name being the same as any real person's name has to be unintentional. 

Usually in IF, the majority of fanfics are written on fictional shows/movies and the characters are usually the lead characters of the said shows/movies. In such cases, the names of characters and the actors portraying the characters seldom match. Few exceptions are there, like BALH character Ram Kapoor, played by Ram Anil Kapoor. In cases of exceptions, the intentions of the author should be clear.

Deliberate use of an actor's tag while disclaiming "no link to any real person" is a contradiction. A disclaimer that no reasonable person would believe has no legal merit.

Using an actor's tag in a FF does not mean the FF is a biography of the actor (I also think having a disclaimer about an author's intentions is fair). If the pic of an actor is used in the cover of an FF, I don't see why his/her name can't be tagged. The face is as much an identity of a real person as is the name.

Hi there,

Thanks for being kind enough to reply to my question. Replied above in brown.

Edited by tournesol - 1 years ago

Wrong post

Edited by tournesol - 1 years ago