Q. Why does world not recognise bollywood like kpop/kdramas?

Posted: 2 years ago

I have my theory just stating the same below. Feel free to lay down your theory below. 

Ps. This is not specifically for any bollywood or k-artist. It's just a general observation

1. Koreans are promoting their culture, their language, their style/ lifestyle in the right way. They bring something that intrigues the world to the table. They have something for us to look forward to, to learn. 

Whereas bollywood/tv is busy following Western culture/lifestyle/music/language. We don't offer them or ourselves anything new to be curious about. It's one of the most basic - intrigue the mind, capture attention - simple.

2. Artist represent society and vice versa

I ain't no fan of Korean Cancel culture, it's too harsh. However most artists as long as they are in business enjoy immense goodwill. The prerequisites they want their representatives to have is a clean image. They pride on clean images, people who survive on talent. It basically implies if you aren't a good person you will be "dethroned" till you mend ways or are proven not guilty. The society almost thrives in being called a society that doesn't take bullshit from their representatives in the name of freedom of expression just because they're artists. You cannot deny that this promotes a positive image about actors and inturn about Korean society that idolizes them. They don't put up with wrong behaviours. Period.

The celebs we worship do they represent us well? I don't think so. As a society we don't tolerate wrong,however if a celeb does it it's termed as okay. But is it really okay?

So, I do believe the major reason even western audiences acknowledged Korean dramas and music atleast initially is because it had that feel good factor. A welcome change after the negativity in the Western artistic formats too.

I love bollywood too but I can in no way turn a blind eye to it's shortcomings. Especially the current trend of negativity, lack of talent and originality is simply a turn off. The only way to revolutionize bollywood/dramas again is through talent, original scripts, lyrics and melodies. 

In my case I craved for some talented people working on a simple romantic comedy, an intense drama, clean comedy, historical depicting history with some authenticity, a fantasy that makes me forget reality. But alas I grew tired of waiting expecting something like this from Bollywood so i shifted to Korean & chinese dramas/ music

All that said I do think we have immense talent in india we just aren't putting our best foot forward I.e. We aren't giving opportunity and scope/choosing the right people to showcase thier talent, to represent us correctly globally

Is kpop dominated by starkids too?

Do they suffer from lack of creativity and originality

Simple. They produce quality work. Bollywood does not 

K dramas I havent watched like for more than 10 years, the innocent / cute act are very annoying, also I used to read how they say in real life korean people are not even like that ?

Also I might be different, but I am not interested in culture other than my own, especially if I am not understanding the language, i will not bother watching or listening to the songs. 

Edited by Minionite - 2 years ago

It's true that k dramas and movies have now a reputation of quality content which is rightly so(been watching kdramas for more then a decade).. Even their mediocre dramas by korean standards I see trend on Netflix which shows that there is actually a scarcity of quality for younger generation atleast...

While I beg to differ that Bollywood is not as popular... Everyone knows Bollywood even if it's known just for the stereotypical song and dance.. Go to middle East.. Ppl usually watch Bollywood movies like crazy..i remember when i was kid we were in Cairo and ppl kept asking us that r u of the country of Amitabh Bacchan... Such was the craze... 

What India needs to do is actually promote South Indian content which in my opinion has the potential to be at par with korean content

Edited by sweet_chilly - 2 years ago

I don't understand the world. Why Is Duncan Laurence playing Arcade on the radio in 2021 like it's 2019? Why is Beggin on the Radio and not Zitti E Buoni or I wanna be your slave? Why will only a niche audience know what I am talking about? 

Originally posted by Lalakhun1

Kpop seems like they are wearing western clothes? K dramas I havent watched like for more than 10 years, the innocent / cute act are very annoying, also I used to read how they say in real life korean people are not even like that ?

I am actually surprised with that face how could they even be popular especially the guys. 

Also I might be different, but I am not interested in culture other than my own, especially if I am not understanding the language, i will not bother watching or listening to the songs. 

So much racism in one post

I don't watch their shows. An I only liked one Kpop song (Love shot)

What recognition are you looking for ? 

Originally posted by Chameli_billi

So much racism in one post

not sure why you think that, i have my preferences of what i like or dont ..