Posted: 2 years ago

Dil Chahta Hai ended with Tara's (Dimple Kapadia) death and Sid (Akshaye Khanna) moving on with another girl after 6 months. 

Watching the ending at first it felt forced, like director wanted to give Akshaye Khanna's character a typical Bollywood happy ending. Like he felt audience won't be completely satisfied if they show Aakash (Aamir) and Sameer (Saif) getting married and settled in life while Sid is still mourning Tara's death.

But then it also feels realistic that he did move on and wasn't mourning Tara's death forever. Like they show in some Bollywood and South films where hero never moves on and loves the heroine unconditionally even if he couldn't end up with her.

Such movies are liked by the youth as well because the idea of loving someone forever, even destroying yourself feels great to watch on screen. The movie never made attempts to end Tara and Sid as a couple.

Their "relationship" was doomed from the start. Tara was never in love with him, and maybe Sid wasn't in love with her either. Maybe it was just a phase for him. But if that was the narrative the director was trying to sell, he didn't need to kill Tara to make Sid move on. 

Sid could've moved on even with Tara alive realizing that falling for her was just a phase. Or if he was really in love, they could've just ended the story with Tara's death while showing Sid happy being single. But I suppose ending him with a girl was an easier way to show that he did move on. 

It's like Farhan Akhtar wanted to get the best of both worlds by trying to make the film have a happy, sad and bittersweet ending all at the same time. 

What do you felt about the ending of the film?

Edited by AwaamKiJaan - 2 years ago

Sid moved on from his milf phase.  🤣

I agree. Tara didn't have to die.  And you right @ the last paragraph. He wanted to make an interesting movie and play it safe at the same time.  

Exactly they didn't need to kill Tara but maybe somewhere Farhan wanted people to perceive Tara and Sid's love as pure and not a phase, because of which she had to die after which he could move on. 

I think it was a great ending. Dint stretch it unnecessarily. Moving on is part of life. People move on after their partner passes away. This was a full on ek tarfa pyar for Sid, and he was realistic enough to not expect too much from it either. He just fell in love in a pure way. 

Originally posted by karuna_kini

Exactly they didn't need to kill Tara but maybe somewhere Farhan wanted people to perceive Tara and Sid's love as pure and not a phase, because of which she had to die after which he could move on. 

If it was true love then finding a new girl for Sid right before the movie ends looks like director trying to give the movie a "perfect happy ending". 

Although this is my personal opinion, but I think 6 months is too early to move on from your "true love's" death. 

I wish they kept Tara alive and Sid coming to terms that it was just a phase for him and they shouldn't be together.

Edited by bakhtaavar - 2 years ago

Originally posted by bakhtaavar

I wish they kept Tara alive and Sid coming to terms that it was just a phase for him and they shouldn't be together.

Bold - Why not?

Who knows if he loved her or it was platonic?

They had to kill her bcoz it would have never ended happily forever. After his infatuation phase ended, he would have moved on to those younger like Saif n Kutcher did ðŸ˜†

didnt felt like Dimple's character had the same feelings for Akshay.