Titbits of the life of Ahilyabai and the history of Holkar dynasty

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 2 years ago

In the last few days I was collecting some information about Ahilyabai and the Holkar dynasty. I will be sharing it here (just to increase forum activities).

Gangoba Tatya 

Gangoba Tatya was a minister of the Holkar dynasty. But after the death of Ahilyabai's son Malerao he defected from Ahilyabai's reign and plead to Raghobadada ( Raghunathrao) to take siege of Malwa. Since he believed that a woman is incapable of ruling.

Raghobadada (Son of Peshwa Bajirao and Kashibai) 

But when ahilyabai got to know about the impending attack of Raghunathrao she sent a letter to him. She wrote that if she gets defeated in the impending war noone would mind it much since she was a lady. But if he gets defeated then the entire Maratha Samrajya will make fun of him. This letter made Raghunathrao to rethink about his decision.

Tukoji Rao Holkar

Tukoji Rao Holkar was the commander in chief of the military, during Ahilyabai's reign. He was an orphaned nephew of Malharao Holkar and also his adopted son. After the death of Ahilyabai he became the fourth ruler of Malwa.

P.S. Day before yesterday only I found a book named Matoshree from Kindle. It's a dramatised version of Ahilyabai's life. My info is based on that book and from the web. So if there are any mistakes kindly intimate me about the same

Edited by Sree0796 - 2 years ago

Thank you for the update.👍

Shocked to read that Gangoba defected ☹️ I started liking his character from the recent two episodes...

Tukoji is a wonderful character and glad that eventually he becomes the king after Ahiliya’s death..he must have been pretty old so probably wouldn’t have ruled for long I guess. 

You might like this article.

Their line was powerful and brought many changes. Hopefully the show will do some justice to the actual people. It's a pity we don't have enough material on the life of one of the greatest queens India has ever seen. :/ I can't trust the shows, especially Indian telly which thrives on unnecessary, mindless drama. And I doubt they'll show anything of the link I shared above. Kinda too controversial nowadays, maybe. 😂

Originally posted by Metamorphosis

Their line was powerful and brought many changes. Hopefully the show will do some justice to the actual people. It's a pity we don't have enough material on the life of one of the greatest queens India has ever seen. :/ I can't trust the shows, especially Indian telly which thrives on unnecessary, mindless drama. And I doubt they'll show anything of the link I shared above. Kinda too controversial nowadays, maybe. 😂

💯

Hope that they show more of malharrao's expeditions and the background of how Holkar dynasty was built (although it was prior to ahilya's entry into the Holkar dynasty as it's daughter in law) .

The show is currently giving more importance to the family dynamics. I wish they show more of the political intricacies.

Btw have you read anything about Gunoji(Malharrao's son in law)? The cvs are showing him and his father as complete villains. Was it the same in real history or it's a fictional addition made by the cvs.

P.S. Thanks for sharing this article. Loved reading it.

Thanks for the article.   It was interesting.   Hope serial will show about malhar Rao also.👌🏻

Originally posted by Sree0796

💯

Hope that they show more of malharrao's expeditions and the background of how Holkar dynasty was built (although it was prior to ahilya's entry into the Holkar dynasty as it's daughter in law) .

The show is currently giving more importance to the family dynamics. I wish they show more of the political intricacies.

Btw have you read anything about Gunoji(Malharrao's son in law)? The cvs are showing him and his father as complete villains. Was it the same in real history or it's a fictional addition made by the cvs.

I hope so too. If we had Season-wise format for Indian TV, we could actually get some insight into the story before Ahilya came into the picture. 

About the show, yes, I top hope there's more of the political conflict instead of the family drama. The family drama is sort of boring and although not entirely unnecessary. 

I really don't know about the father-son duo. There's nothing much available on her life on the internet. I found a book and it's in Marathi. I just hope this show popularizes Ahilyabai so that people consider translating books related to her into English or other languages. 

By the way, you can consult Trueindology if you're on Twitter. The guy is a literal encyclopedia when it comes to Indian history. 

TFS this information. I like the person playing Malharao & Tukoji TBH. I'm not sure if that son-in-law & his father were that rebellious unless there is some shedding into this information. 

It's quite a shame that there is less knowledge on Ahilyabai. I've heard great deeds on her developing the infrastructure of Shiva temples. I guess Malharao, Ahilyabai, Tukoji, and Yashwantrao were quite imperative people in the Holkar dynasty. 

Edited by Myrah_2020 - 2 years ago

Originally posted by Sree0796

💯

I completely agree. I mean, the family drama is okay but political dynamics that increased the pride of the holkar dynasty is also imperative...