Pulverizing turmeric | Two Sides of a Coin

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 2 years ago

I'm sorry for being MIA but it sorta became repetitive drag / filler episodes for the past few days until a member mentioned that Malharao re-entered the show today. Plus, my schedule was quite hectic and some health issues. 

Now, I know there is more than one side to the story, therefore, I decided to open up this topic for getting some opinions. 

I know that the popular opinion would say that Gautamabai is an fearful MIL who gave Ahilyabai a difficult task to pulverize turmeric as a result for confiding matters to Sarja, who was labeled as an outsider. Feeling pity on Ahilya was comprehensible because, given the past few days, Gautamabai and Khanderao kept on exerting their denial mode/superiority complex on Ahilya for the past couple of days thereby exacerbating the conflict. 

I think today's episode definitely had also developed an unpopular opinion which I consider would be a valuable lesson for Ahilyabai as she grows more wiser with passing time. Usually, people like to describe about the affliction from when cornered by challenges/under pressure. Similarly, Ahilyabai performed something similar wherein she bore the pain from pulverizing turmeric and her wounds/scars were constantly making her reflect from a negative perspective. Maybe Harkubai postulating that Gautamabai cares for Ahilyabai would make people loathe & she would get criticized for saying such words. However, observing this from the flip side of the situation, I feel this lesson would be reminiscent to Ahilya as a leader wherein she learns to take control of political matters in the future when she grows as a leader. I have no inkling as to how Gautamabai's character develops in the future thereby, immune to her present behavior at this point & will not make premonitions would be futile.

It was definitely good to see Malharao back into the picture so let us see how he proves his worth as a mentor or passes on his guidance to Ahilyabai. 

What is your perspective? Please share. 

Edited by meena_chem - 2 years ago

Meena, good to see you back!!

I am taking this as a fictional story as I don't think in real life Gautama would have been like this.

Coming to the episode, Gautama preparing and sending medicine through Harkubhai seemed like an attempt to whitewash her to me. 

But you are right, Ahilya will learn and emerge stronger after this incident. But it still doesn't justify what Gautama did to Ahilya. She had not only put immense strain on the little girl physically but also emotionally. Moreover she is always left alone without any support. She badly needed a confidante and found one in Sarja. And Sarja is someone she trusts. And for that matter, even Khanderao involves his friends in everything. And Ahilya's question to Harkubhai was absolutely correct, does Gautama teach Khanderao in the same fashion, by punishing him? Even Harkubhai couldn't answer that. It is this partial behaviour that bothers Ahilya the most. 

Gautama just wants Ahilya to blindly follow everything she is being told to do without any questions and not to think or do anything beyond that. But what she is expecting might have been suitable for the daughter-in-law of a normal household in that era, but not the young daughter-in-law of a royal household. Here Ahilya might need to take decisions and give orders in difficult situations. So she must be groomed to do things in a manner which befits the future queen.

And Ahilya's ability to question the status quo and try to help others is her greatest strength. And that's what made Malharao see a queen in her and choose her for his daughter-in-law and life partner for Khanderao. Attempting to change her inherent personality will mitigate all the good that Malharao's perspective decision did. Here only Malharao can be a good guide as he can give the right direction. 

Definitely, we don't know how Gautamabai was in real-life, therefore, we can't put fingers on her characters with limited knowledge. 

What Gautamabai did was wrong with Ahilyabai definitely on a physiological and psychological level. She definitely needed someone to confide her feelings since practically Harkubhai cannot do much in her power as she is just a subordinate of Gautamabai. Yes, the partiality is apparent & it is justified for Ahilya to raise her eyebrow about this conflict. 

I just feel Ahilya will one day be proud that she is physical capable as a leader as she's crying about it now. Gautamabai & Khanderao are practically living in their own bubbles as of now & they are practicaally feeling cornered whenever she raises a question thereby their defense mechanism to project their fear onto her for baseless reasons. 

Well, Malharao is back in the picture, so let us see what his response is. TBH, while Gautamabai was right in stating that confiding internal matters to outsiders was right but she never really interacted with Ahilya more properly therefore, forcing her to pulverize turmeric was definitely harsh. Again, she's practically feeling cornered at a subconscious level, therefore projecting her fear onto her as there is someone is completely different personality wise.  What matters is how Ahilyabai grows as a leader one day.

@bluecool, I feel the problem is improper communication due to separate perspectives on life. One has been taught about this from a young age therefore has assumed this to be correct throughout her life. Moreover, she's the chief wife and mother to the heir to the throne, therefore it amplified her superiority complex/denial mode. 

The moment she saw someone questioning those beliefs, the subconscious feeling of being cornered developed. Therefore, the need to belittle Ahilya and try to justify her perspective as right.

In conclusion, the point of confiding internal matters is correct but, perhaps, the method is wrong. One of the major reasons that catalyze this conflict is improper communication and the notion of Gautamabai's habit of justifying her behavior as proper one. Therefore, it sorta does give Ahilya several advantages to add in to her cap, learning to communicate more effectively and being immune to future problems in life. It is just Gautamabai is heldback in her own delusions rather than letting them go.

Originally posted by meena_chem

@bluecool, I feel the problem is improper communication due to separate perspectives on life. One has been taught about this from a young age therefore has assumed this to be correct throughout her life. Moreover, she's the chief wife and mother to the heir to the throne, therefore it amplified her superiority complex/denial mode. 

Yes Meena, the main issue for their never ending conflict is definitely their different perspectives on life. 

Will be interesting to see if Malharao is able to help them both see the middle ground between their radically different idealogies. 

The moment she saw someone questioning those beliefs, the subconscious feeling of being cornered developed. Therefore, the need to belittle Ahilya and try to justify her perspective as right.

In conclusion, the point of confiding internal matters is correct but, perhaps, the method is wrong. One of the major reasons that catalyze this conflict is improper communication and the notion of Gautamabai's habit of justifying her behavior as proper one. Therefore, it sorta does give Ahilya several advantages to add in to her cap, learning to communicate more effectively and being immune to future problems in life. It is just Gautamabai is heldback in her own delusions rather than letting them go.

Yes, the point regarding confiding internal matters to outsiders is correct and Ahilya has realized it. But it would be difficult for her to completely implement it until and unless she has another friend in the palace/family.

The girl who was introduced as her jethani, the wife of Tukoji ( or was it Konoji ? Getting confused with these names ðŸ¤”😆) seems to present in most scenes but is not shown interacting with Ahilya. It would be nice angle if she also tried to help Ahilya like how her husband was shown trying to explain to Khanderao today.

Yes Meena, the main issue for their never ending conflict is definitely their different perspectives on life. 

Will be interesting to see if Malharao is able to help them both see the middle ground between their radically different idealogies. 

Let's see his input. Regarding Khanderao's development, I'm keeping little-to-zero expectations on his wayward perspective at this point unless he realizes genuinely as to what path his behavior is directing him towards. Ahilya shouldn't be the one to fix the burning bridge between Khanderao and the people around him solely. Ultimately, he has to decide what he wants to choose.

Yes, the point regarding confiding internal matters to outsiders is correct and Ahilya has realized it. But it would be difficult for her to completely implement it until and unless she has another friend in the palace/family.

The girl who was introduced as her jethani, the wife of Tukoji ( or was it Konoji ? Getting confused with these names smiley24smiley36) seems to present in most scenes but is not shown interacting with Ahilya. It would be nice angle if she also tried to help Ahilya like how her husband was shown trying to explain to Khanderao today.

Yup, proper guidance is required which Gautamabai is apparently restraining her from. Today, she did raise a question of family not being all ears to at least listen to her. Like we said, her relationship with Harkubai, though subtle, has its own restrictions therefore Ahilyabai has repeatedly wanted some form of genuine conversation. It just felt more formal even though Harkubai wants the best for her but it is practically not in her power. I'm not sure if the Tukoji/konoji (whatever his name is), his wife, would be really holding prominence because I haven;t seen her role developed yet or are the writers waiting for the right chance for her role to developed. It would be a nice initiative but I don't want the writers to completely falsify the history with the limited knowledge on Ahilyabai's personal relationships. ðŸ˜†