Alia VS Sarang Case | Expressing Emotions VS Suppressing Vulnerability

Posted: 3 years ago

I'm going to keep it short & concise because I don't want to bore with this post like my decoding rants of the episodes. 😆 Maybe I'll get few agreements and disagreements so feel free to comment on my POV. Overall, I've seen a quite drastic contrast in how these two characters express their feelings or suppress their vulnerability. 

Alia- Quite diplomatic, who learnt the essence of time being an important lesson in life hence developed a milestone list of achieving certain things such as degree, marriage, business, baby, etc. From childhood, she craved for attention from her parents who neglected with/out their presence so she envisages them as her idols for valuing time. She bears a grudge against her mother (reasoning needs to be explained because why is she calling Alia back?). She has achieved almost all her accomplishments & had one more remaining which was having a baby at 30. For this, we have seen her lay out a plan such as building a nursery in the office, using latest materials to become the best mother, giving undivided attention, learning from what her own mother did & doing the opposite. Yet, she remains at sixes and sevens about having a child since Veer's response was important but the latter remained uninterested because he didn't mind being a father early on & then with time lost interest in Alia & the matter. 

When Veer ditched her, we got to see her snap out at Veer for his betrayal & inability to speak about him feeling suffocated, using his personal connections for the vincola deal, using Alia to satisfy his business ambitions, etc. So then, her vulnerable state is explored wherein she explains more on her backstory as to why she is who she has turned into. Nobody gave her the attention so she decided to give her child the attention. In return, the child will also give her the special attention that she longed for. 

Unfortunately, she has been tagged as taking steps that are considered acrid. Today, Alia did converse about to never cheat professionally & personally in life. Yet, people view her point in a different context. Alia also never allows her tender side to be fully exposed, fearing that people will misuse her kindness. Only those who know her, get to know the real Alia and how sensitive/prone her heart is to betrayal & deception. She eats brownies/sweets to cope up with her emotions. 

She also is unconvinced till it has an emotion behind it such as Sarang's poetry until it was caught. 

Sarang-Quite the opposite, he says things from his heart in a literary way. But, nobody, except his mother & two friends, take him & his aspirations seriously or give him an opportunity to do so. He craves to create his own identity through writing & hopes the opposite person comprehends his words. 

He wants to liberate his mother one day. On his first day of Mumbai, he suffered from some obstacles such as the inability to find his friend, chasing after book with Gulzar's signature leaving his stuff behind for the book in Ramesh's taxi, unable to land in a job, getting pepper spray for helping Alia stand up, MU by receptionist mausi, MU of job position. But, amidst all this, Sarang is able express his thoughts & feelings whether it is beloved or a stranger on the streets. He loves the novel exposure to the city life such as his ride in the taxi, eating Mumbai street savory foods, etc. in comparison to being locked in his father's wing back in Mathura. 

He is slowly learning about the actual dunia daari once he's working on his own to get the food on the table. So, he remains as a tubelight in his excitement only to find himself exposed to a different reality such as Alia in IV vs real life, his job as a writer vs junior office boy, Mumbai vs Mathura, etc. 

The overall point is how they are able to cope with their emotions & how Alia's dreams of becoming a mother get intertwined with Sarang's dreams. It is quite interesting to see the contrast in their personalities. Independent Alia VS Mamma's Boy Sarang. 

Edited by Meena_J - 3 years ago

Great analysis...👍🏼 

No disagreement here.😆

Alia is more vulnerable. Feeling bad for her. Except Rabia no one is there for her.

Originally posted by vyoman

Great analysis...👍🏼 

No disagreement here.😆

Alia is more vulnerable. Feeling bad for her. Except Rabia no one is there for her.

Yes, I like this part because as more episodes come in, we get to observe what conditions she underwent to become who she is presently. 

Sarang ka, I'm sorta mixed because of him calling Alia--> Ms. Wrong number and the line he said that nobody understands the integrity of tears because everyone is involved with using emotions. I understand that he was being emotional about Manju + agreed that Manju did wrong by stealing but it didn't really justify his comments on Alia being harsh or rude as opposed to comprehend the reasoning. Logically speaking, she was also concerned as an employer who has to maintain the integrity within her business and loss because of one employee's stupidity could incur huge losses. Maybe she could've called Manju in but it is also a good lesson for other employees to stick being honest professionally and personally. Perhaps, he hasn't really seen the actual duniadaari and is now starting to get the taste. But, yesterday, it was blooper that he was unable to find his work on Manju's computer. 

I don't know how to say this. Tomorrow, it seems like something will happen. 

Originally posted by Meena_J

Yes, I like this part because as more episodes come in, we get to observe what conditions she underwent to become who she is presently. 

Sarang ka, I'm sorta mixed because of him calling Alia--> Ms. Wrong number and the line he said that nobody understands the integrity of tears because everyone is involved with using emotions. I understand that he was being emotional about Manju + agreed that Manju did wrong by stealing but it didn't really justify his comments on Alia being harsh or rude as opposed to comprehend the reasoning. Logically speaking, she was also concerned as an employer who has to maintain the integrity within her business and loss because of one employee's stupidity could incur huge losses. Maybe she could've called Manju in but it is also a good lesson for other employees to stick being honest professionally and personally. Perhaps, he hasn't really seen the actual duniadaari and is now starting to get the taste. But, yesterday, it was blooper that he was unable to find his work on Manju's computer. 

I don't know how to say this. Tomorrow, it seems like something will happen. 

Yeah, I felt bad hearing Sarang use such harsh words for Alia. He doesn't know her. In fact, he doesn't know Manju either. He unwittingly proved what Manju said, about everyone believing a pregnant woman. He just saw Manju's tears and immediately took her side. Those who don't show their emotions readily to the whole world also have integrity. They also have real feelings. I wish that other employee had told everyone about Alia's generosity. She may have even forgiven Manju had she honestly apologized, not spoken about more cheating. Yes, in the real world Alia would've brought Manju in to speak with her privately first, but you have to allow some license for drama. Sarang strikes me as someone who makes judgments based on first impressions. He put Alia on a pedestal based on a tv interview, then formed the opposite opinion based on a single incident in which he was only a third party witness. He was lucky that the first person he met in Mumbai was as honest as he appeared. 

Originally posted by ShinyMishka

Yeah, I felt bad hearing Sarang use such harsh words for Alia. He doesn't know her. In fact, he doesn't know Manju either. He unwittingly proved what Manju said, about everyone believing a pregnant woman. He just saw Manju's tears and immediately took her side. Those who don't show their emotions readily to the whole world also have integrity. They also have real feelings. I wish that other employee had told everyone about Alia's generosity. She may have even forgiven Manju had she honestly apologized, not spoken about more cheating. Yes, in the real world Alia would've brought Manju in to speak with her privately first, but you have to allow some license for drama. Sarang strikes me as someone who makes judgments based on first impressions. He put Alia on a pedestal based on a tv interview, then formed the opposite opinion based on a single incident in which he was only a third party witness. He was lucky that the first person he met in Mumbai was as honest as he appeared. 

Hmmm, it looks like they are revealing this trait in the first stage, only for the future episodes to make him realize that not everything comes very easily. Right now, there are some attributes of impatient in excitement wala feel in him which have been demonstrated such as coming to Mumbai in hopes of achieving his aspirations ASAP, repaying Alia's money, trying to talk with Alia for the IV, etc. They are showing this to be a bit cliched in the show but I've heard from my own parents' experience when they moved outside of India & their excitement for a better life. Even though they had experience of city life, it was a major transition where they traveled to urbanized area that was outside of India so they were oblivious of what the new place had to bequeath them at that time. 😳 

Over here, Sarang has moved from Mathura to Mumbai & he has seen personalities through the digital medium. Yes, he was wrong to judge Alia but he wasn't entirely aware of the situation going w/in the cabin as Manju just signaled that she was fired which was just weird --- I reflect a bit on this situation because he's just looking through what is being shown to him so he's formulating his response according to that. Possibly, later he will begin to reflect more since he's seen his mother be served like a slave by his father so it is perhaps a sort of a setting the stage. I think he's just a bit sentimental hence he felt pity on Manju w/o even knowing that she stole HIS poem --- he's just seeing the point that "A" poem being stolen which he said was a blunder on her part but I doubt he was aware of the entire scenario. But, I feel the Manju chapter technically is getting closed. 

It was quite weird that he wasn't able to find the stolen work in her computer as opposed to the baby photos only to be followed by the baby photos scattered all over the place & making the scene look dramatic. Today, Fahim told him half of the scenario that Manju stole the exact poem, SD tried to explain his point but since he didn't present the proof nobody believed him. 

Also, city life style is quite distant from live in small town where everyone is close-knitted to one another. Hence, you can see some traits such as talking so loudly on the phone w/o even knowing who could be present such as his boss. In real life, yes there will be people who won't be that loud to scream their lungs out but there are some people who do exist even if they came from small town hence not everyone is alike. 😆

So, people come with dreams/ambitions, thinking they will achieve without any obstacles in bigger cities but, if Alia proved on her own merit where she established her business w/o parental support, then Sarang will do so too. Hence, he made the silly mistake of directly revealing his stolen work w/o thinking of the repercussions and this is probably the setting the stage for him to slowly learning to learn beyond what is illustrated in front of the person. Maybe there are some parts that tend to be OTT such as their meets but, from what I'm seeing, the stage is practically set for him to learn to work hard if he wants his work to be conveyed to people + learn to think beyond what's showcased to him.

I don't know how well my response is but this just from my experience. 😳I know I will have some agreement/disagreement here but, this is how I'm looking at the scenario. Also, I have noticed some things such as him trying to wipe away Alia's tear in their first F2F meet + the scene where almost goes but stops when he hears the employees contest about whether it was Alia's fault or not in the failed marriage fearing another humiliation. Alia's bottled her feelings & engrosses herself so much in work to try not to distract herself from such issues. 

Excellent analysis! I'm in full agreement.

Originally posted by bookworm-ALS--

Excellent analysis! I'm in full agreement.

thanks dear

Very nice analysis.   😊

Originally posted by Meena_J

Hmmm, it looks like they are revealing this trait in the first stage, only for the future episodes to make him realize that not everything comes very easily. Right now, there are some attributes of impatient in excitement wala feel in him which have been demonstrated such as coming to Mumbai in hopes of achieving his aspirations ASAP, repaying Alia's money, trying to talk with Alia for the IV, etc. They are showing this to be a bit cliched in the show but I've heard from my own parents' experience when they moved outside of India & their excitement for a better life. Even though they had experience of city life, it was a major transition where they traveled to urbanized area that was outside of India so they were oblivious of what the new place had to bequeath them at that time. 😳 

Over here, Sarang has moved from Mathura to Mumbai & he has seen personalities through the digital medium. Yes, he was wrong to judge Alia but he wasn't entirely aware of the situation going w/in the cabin as Manju just signaled that she was fired which was just weird --- I reflect a bit on this situation because he's just looking through what is being shown to him so he's formulating his response according to that. Possibly, later he will begin to reflect more since he's seen his mother be served like a slave by his father so it is perhaps a sort of a setting the stage. I think he's just a bit sentimental hence he felt pity on Manju w/o even knowing that she stole HIS poem --- he's just seeing the point that "A" poem being stolen which he said was a blunder on her part but I doubt he was aware of the entire scenario. But, I feel the Manju chapter technically is getting closed. 

Of course, I wasn't saying it to belittle Sarang, but rather to point out there are drawbacks to all personality types. There is a problem with relying too heavily on emotions as well as repressing them. I expect more character development with Sarang as well as Alia. I just feel bad that all of these people are putting blame on Alia for things that were not her fault, Veer, her employees, etc. She stood up for what she felt was right and was more than fair, but she is being seen as cold-hearted because of it.