Debate Mansion

Is this acceptable?

PangaNaLe thumbnail
Own Your Stories Participant 0 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 3 years ago

There are some scenes in Anurag Kashyap's  movie Black Friday that show police brutality without romanticizing it, like it commonly happens in Bollywood films where protagonists are police officers.

While it's understandable that 1993 bomb blast was the biggest case faced by Indian police since India became an independent country, and the convicts deserved no sympathy. The police had a lot of pressure to catch the culprits, which made them go brutal even on the suspects, even if they were innocent.

But there was one really questionable torture method used by Mumbai police to take out confession from the terrorists. That was by sexually assaulting and beating their mothers, sisters, wives, daughters and any other female member of their family. The police knows that there is no fault of the women in all this, but they are still harassing and beating them brutally, because their logic is that these terrorists can't accept humiliation of their female family members in front of them.

These are some questionable scenes shown in the movie where police is beating the wife of the brother of a terrorist to bring out his confession :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_oGn9Cq6gY&t=1h27m

Another scene where police is sexually harassing the wife and daughter of a suspect :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHoJRyAuaxY&t=3m58s

This is something which happened in real according to Anurag Kashyap. This isn't just fiction. So if this happened in real and this isn't just fiction, then is this acceptable?

Is it acceptable for police to sexually assault and beat wives and daughters of terrorists to bring out confession from them?

Edited by Harley_Quinn - 3 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail

Nope.. Sexual assault is not acceptable. Even if the terrorist is a woman..  Sexually Harassing female family members is even worse. Can't be condoned under any circumstances. 

Police is known to rape, victims of sexual assault too.. Such practices may not be above them.. The depiction may or may not be true.. But is deffo not improbable. 

TotalBetty thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

No, it isn’t.

Disclaimer: Haven’t seen the movie.

ShaliniTv thumbnail
Anniversary 7 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail + 3

I don't know whether you know it or not but recently two men were tortured and harrassed sexually and left to die in the police station. It happened in Tamil Nadu (Thoothukudi) only because they didn't close their Shop on time, they were actually few minutes late, govt has put up a restriction on shop and their timings! It was too Cruel, I couldn't even write it. So yes these kind of exist and no proper action is taken on time!

TotalBetty thumbnail

Originally posted by: ShaliniTv

I don't know whether you know it or not but recently two men were tortured and harrassed sexually and left to die in the police station. It happened in Tamil Nadu (Thoothukudi) only because they didn't close their Shop on time, they were actually few minutes late, govt has put up a restriction on shop and their timings! It was too Cruel, I couldn't even write it. So yes these kind of exist and no proper action is taken on time!

That ‘s horrendous... Were the police officers punished or not?

TotalBetty thumbnail

Lockdown and it’s rules and restrictions are driving everyone crazy and Indian police is insane as it is although they do work under difficult circumstances 

Looks like we hear more brutality incidents from TN police or is it an unfair accusation?

Edited by BettyA1 - 3 years ago
Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

That ‘s horrendous... Were the police officers punished or not?

One of the policeman involved died within weeks of the incident. Don't know about the rest. 

Veni-Vidi-Vici thumbnail

Originally posted by: BettyA1

Lockdown and it’s rules and restrictions are driving everyone crazy and Indian police is insane as it is although they do work under difficult circumstances 

Looks like we hear more brutality incidents from TN police or is it an unfair accusation?

I am not from TN but I think TN might not be alone in getting the dubious distinction.. It is prevalent elsewhere too.. Activism is high in TN, hence such events are brought to light quickly. 

Stella_001 thumbnail
Anniversary 3 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

absolutely not . Nothing can ever justify sexual assault that women faced by police hands 

And isn’t that the reason we have been saying acab ? Police using the power they had to abuse people , torture them and all 

And yes that case was really difficult one to crack and cops were under pressure but that doesn’t mean they can go around and assault women or those who are innocent 

Kamala05 thumbnail
Visit Streak 500 0 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 7

This is one movie I wish I could erase my memory after watching it. The torture scene in this movie haunted me for days. 

Though I believe that the criminals should be punished according to the crime but neither the criminals nor their relatives deserve sexual harassment. But those in power especially police involved in such heinous act is real. When I was working with an NGO in a tribal area in kerala, one beautiful young woman caught by police with weed,apparently she was a carrier, after that day she just disappeared for almost one month. They didn't file FIR,instead of that she was asked to sleep with police officers. After one month she came back like a corpse, lifeless. 

The harassment of police against transgender people are very common in almost all the places especially if they are not living in group. 

Edited by Kamala05 - 3 years ago