•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 3 years ago

People I just had this thought about the Jaidrath Vadh

According to the narrative, the sun had (supposedly) set and Jaidrath felt that he has escaped, when the he noticed the sunshine. The Arjun killed him inside the Kamalvyuh. (I haven't read this part so please someone correct me if there is something else)

I know majority take this as a solar eclipse but I genuinely doubt that, how could they not realize that the sun can not set so early. Why didn't anyone doubt it. Aside solar eclipse isn't like sunset, one can visualize the moon slowly taking over the sun, it isn't abrupt. Aside solar eclipse is a common phenomenon to believe that no one had seen it before (not even Dronacharya)

Considering that they were all waiting for the sunset it can't be that they missed this slow shading of the sun. Hence the feasibility of solar eclipse seems very low to me

Aside that was the first day in the war they continued even after sunset (the most fierce day of the war probably)

Couldn't it then be that the sun had already set by the time Arjun reached Jaidrath, but since he had to fulfill his oath, he simply killed Jaidrath even after sunset. That is the reason why the war continued even after sunset that day. 

Being the winners and history writers, the Pandavas changed the narrative slightly to bring in the mystical element of sunrise after sunset

Kindly share your views

There's a lot of contradiction there, Mahabharata doesn't mention a Solar Eclipse

Then, O king, filling all the points of the compass with his shafts and afflicting all the car-warriors in battle, the son of Kunti proceeded towards Jayadratha and pierced him with four and sixty straight arrows. Then the Kuru warriors, beholding the son of Pandu proceeded towards Jayadratha, all abstained from battle. In fact, those heroes became hopeless of Jayadratha's life. Every one amongst thy warriors that rushed in that fierce battle against the son of Pandu, had his body deeply pierced, O lord, with a shaft of Arjuna

Arjuna was battling with Jaidrath 

The ruler of the Sindhus, however, thus pierced by the wielder of Gandiva with his arrows, became filled with rage and unable to brook it, like an elephant when pierced with the hook. Bearing the device of the boar on his banner, he quickly sped towards Phalguna's car many straight shafts equipped with vulturine feathers, resembling angry snakes of virulent poison, well-polished by the hands of the smith, and shot from his bow drawn to the fullest stretch. Then piercing Govinda with three shafts, he struck Arjuna with six. And then he pierced the steeds of Arjuna with eight arrows and his standard also with one. 

Jaidrath was attacking Arjuna too

Then Arjuna, baffling the keen arrows sped by the ruler of the Sindhus, cut off at the same time, with a pair of shafts, the head of Jayadratha's driver and the well-decked standard also of Jayadratha. Its stay cut off and itself pierced and struck with arrows, that standard fell down like a flame of fire. Meanwhile, the sun was going down quickly. 

So, Arjuna and Jaidrath were close enough for Arjuna to kill his driver

Janardana then quickly addressed the son of Pandu and said, 'Behold, O Partha, the ruler of the Sindhus hath, by six mighty and heroic car-warriors, been placed in their-midst! Jayadratha also, O mighty-armed one, is waiting there in fear! Without vanquishing those six car-warriors in battle, O bull among men, thou wilt never be able to slay the ruler of the Sindhus even if thou exertest thyself without intermission. I shall, therefore, resort to Yoga for shrouding the sun. Then the ruler of the Sindhus will (in consequence) behold the sun to have set. Desirous of life, O lord, through joy that wicked wight will no longer, for his destruction, conceal himself. Availing yourself of that opportunity, thou shouldst then, O best of the Kurus, strike him. Thou shouldst not give up the enterprise, thinking the sun to have really set.' Hearing these words, Vibhatsu replied unto Kesava, saying, 'Let it be so

Krishna can't meddle with the Sun, Arjuna and Jaidrath were battling with each other, Arjuna was able to kill his driver

Even after Sun Set by Krishna, Arjuna didn't kill Jaidrath, He was battling other warriors, The Sun set and Sun coming up again had nothing to do with Jaidrath's death 

It clearly states that Krishna opined that Jaidrath Vadh wasn't possible in the presence of the six Maharathis who had encircled him(they might have reached after the killing of the saarthi), so he asks Arjun to defeat those who surround Jaidrath, meanwhile he would make it seem that sun had set so that Jaidrath doesn't remain hidden. He asks Arjun not to fall for the sunset illusion. Hence Arjun goes to fight with the six Maharathis

Now unless Krishna was a big hypnotist (or was He one) he couldn't have created that illusion for every one there that the sun has set

That's why i said that probably the killing of Jaidrath happened after the sun set. Either he defeated the 6 Maharathis or Jaidrath himself came out after the sunset not fearing his life anymore

The sun coming up again thing never happened at all probably. And that was the reason why the war continued till late night that day

Edited by FlauntPessimism - 3 years ago

Originally posted by FlauntPessimism

It clearly states that Krishna opined that Jaidrath Vadh wasn't possible in the presence of the six Maharathis who had encircled him(they might have reached after the killing of the saarthi), so he asks Arjun to defeat those who surround Jaidrath, meanwhile he would make it seem that sun had set so that Jaidrath doesn't remain hidden. He asks Arjun not to fall for the sunset illusion. Hence Arjun goes to fight with the six Maharathis

Now unless Krishna was a big hypnotist (or was He one) he couldn't have created that illusion for every one there that the sun has set

That's why i said that probably the killing of Jaidrath happened after the sun set. Either he defeated the 6 Maharathis or Jaidrath himself came out after the sunset not fearing his life anymore

The sun coming up again thing never happened at all probably. And that was the reason why the war continued till late night that day

But Jaidrath was in middle, Arjuna had reached him and they were battling, Arjuna killed his driver,  he wasn't hiding at this point, he came forward to battle Arjuna 

It is mentioned Krishna removed the darkness -

"After, O king, the ruler of the Sindhus had been slain by the diadem-decked Arjuna, that darkness, O bull of Bharata's race, was withdrawn by Vasudeva. Thy sons with their followers, O king, thus, came to know subsequently that the darkness, they had seen, had all been an illusion produced by Vasudeva. 

Sun Set is mentioned too

Then commenced, O king, after the sun had set, a fierce battle between Drona and the Somakas, that made the very hair stand on end. Desirous of slaying him, those mighty car-warriors after the fall of Jayadratha.

Originally posted by NoraSM

But Jaidrath was in middle, Arjuna had reached him and they were battling, Arjuna killed his driver,  he wasn't hiding at this point, he came forward to battle Arjuna 

It is mentioned Krishna removed the darkness -

"After, O king, the ruler of the Sindhus had been slain by the diadem-decked Arjuna, that darkness, O bull of Bharata's race, was withdrawn by Vasudeva. Thy sons with their followers, O king, thus, came to know subsequently that the darkness, they had seen, had all been an illusion produced by Vasudeva. 

Sun Set is mentioned too

Then commenced, O king, after the sun had set, a fierce battle between Drona and the Somakas, that made the very hair stand on end. Desirous of slaying him, those mighty car-warriors after the fall of Jayadratha.

The Maharathis noticed the Arjun Jaidrath battle and rushed towards Jaidrath they feared his death, till here it is mentioned. Then Krishna says Jaidrath couldn't be killed till these Maharathis are killed. It's clear according to me that they came n surrounded Jaidrath. Not everything can be mentioned for sure. They might have reached after after Arjun killed Jaidrath's saarthi.

I have read the two citations you gave here. But Vasudev creating and illusion is very unlikely if don't consider divinity. And no reason has been given as so why the war  wasn't the war stopped at sunset that day like it happened till the previous evening,.Drona himself continues fighting

That is why I think that those two lines and statements are an addition to justify the Adharmic killing by Arjun

I might be wrong

The Maharathis noticed the Arjun Jaidrath battle and rushed towards Jaidrath they feared his death, till here it is mentioned. Then Krishna says Jaidrath couldn't be killed till these Maharathis are killed. It's clear according to me that they came n surrounded Jaidrath. Not everything can be mentioned for sure. They might have reached after after Arjun killed Jaidrath's saarthi.

I have read the two citations you gave here. But Vasudev creating and illusion is very unlikely if don't consider divinity. And no reason has been given as so why the war  wasn't the war stopped at sunset that day like it happened till the previous evening,.Drona himself continues fighting

That is why I think that those two lines and statements are an addition to justify the Adharmic killing by Arjun

I might be wrong

Then the Kuru warriors, beholding the son of Pandu proceeded towards Jayadratha, all abstained from battle. In fact, those heroes became hopeless of Jayadratha's life. Every one amongst thy warriors that rushed in that fierce battle against the son of Pandu, had his body deeply pierced, O lord, with a shaft of Arjuna. The

p. 321

mighty car-warrior Arjuna, that foremost of victorious persons, with his shafts blazing as fire made thy army teem with headless trunks. 1 Indeed, O king, thus creating a perfect confusion in thy host consisting of four kinds of forces, the son of Kunti proceeded towards Jayadratha, And he pierced the son of Drona. with fifty shafts and Vrishasena with three. And the son of Kunti mildly struck Kripa with nine arrows, and he struck Salya with sixteen arrows and Karna with two and thirty. And piercing the ruler of the Sindhus then with four and sixty arrows, he uttered a leonine shout. The ruler of the Sindhus, however, thus pierced by the wielder of Gandiva with his arrows, became filled with rage and unable to brook it, like an elephant when pierced with the hook. Bearing the device of the boar on his banner, he quickly sped towards Phalguna's car many straight shafts equipped with vulturine feathers, resembling angry snakes of virulent poison, well-polished by the hands of the smith, and shot from his bow drawn to the fullest stretch. Then piercing Govinda with three shafts, he struck Arjuna with six. And then he pierced the steeds of Arjuna with eight arrows and his standard also with one. Then Arjuna, baffling the keen arrows sped by the ruler of the Sindhus, cut off at the same time, with a pair of shafts, the head of Jayadratha's driver and the well-decked standard also of Jayadratha. Its stay cut off and itself pierced and struck with arrows, that standard fell down like a flame of fire. Meanwhile, the sun was going down quickly. Janardana then quickly addressed the son of Pandu and said, 'Behold, O Partha, the ruler of the Sindhus hath, by six mighty and heroic car-warriors, been placed in their-midst! Jayadratha also, O mighty-armed one, is waiting there in fear! Without vanquishing those six car-warriors in battle, O bull among men, thou wilt never be able to slay the ruler of the Sindhus even if thou exertest thyself without intermission. I shall, therefore, resort to Yoga for shrouding the sun. Then the ruler of the Sindhus will (in consequence) behold the sun to have set. Desirous of life, O lord, through joy that wicked wight will no longer, for his destruction, conceal himself.

Arjuna and Jaidrath were battling, Arjuna killed his driver, None is mentioned around them when Krishna suggested that he set the Sun, Why would he suggest something like this? How can he set the Sun? Krishna stays that Jaidrath is hiding but In the paragraph above it, Jaidrath went towards Arjuna's car and attacked both Krishna and Arjuna

If Arjuna had killed Jaidrath in a wrong way, They would have mentioned it somewhere 

Thus urged by Drona, king Duryodhana, filled with rage set his heart on battle. And thy son, Duryodhana, then said unto Karna, 'Behold, the diadem-decked son of Pandu, with Krishna alone for helpmate, penetrated into the array formed by the preceptor, an array that the gods themselves could not pierce, and in the very sight of the illustrious Drona struggling in battle and of many other foremost of warriors, slew the ruler of the Sindhus. Behold, O son of Radha, many foremost of kings lying on the earth, slain in battle. Partha unaided by any one, in the very sight of the illustrious Drona and myself, vigorously exerting ourselves like a host of inferior animals-slain by a lion. The son of Sakra hath reduced my host to a small remnant of what it was. How, indeed, could Phalguna, in spite of the resistance offered by Drona in battle, accomplish his vow by slaying the ruler of the Sindhus? 

https://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/m07/m07148.htm

This is Dury saying Arjuna accomplished his vow 

Edited by NoraSM - 3 years ago

^^^ I think I am unable to express myself. The citation mentioned above p321 mentions that Kuru warriors rush towards Jaidrath.

As he was approaching towards Jaidrath Ashwathama,. Kripacharya, Karna, Vrishsen, Shalya were hit by him probably to stop their transverse towards Jaidrath. He then strikes Jaidrath and Jaidrath responds by hitting arrows onto Arjun.

It however doesn't mention what exactly were the other warriors doing during this time. They would have definitely not got stopped by the arrows Arjun hit, afterall this was topmost Kaurav lineup, it seems that while Arjun got engaged into the duel with Jaidrath, these people reached the spot and surrounded Jaidrath, probably by then Jaidrath's saarthi was killed. Saving Jaidrath that day was their top most priority afterall. Or else why would Krishna say about defeating the men within whose conceal Jaidrath is hiding. And about Jaidrath coming out of the conceal?

And the entire sun hiding illusion statement is way too much an important thing to be an interpolation especially. Adding that element for killing someone as Jaidrath?

Now both of us agree that Sunset illusion isn't a feasibility so what exactly was Krishna's suggestion?

But you are right, Duryodhan's statement also mentions that Arjun fulfilled his vow.

So now I am completely confused why was that sunset illusion specified and the fact that sun was setting pretty fast, aside why did the battle continue after sunset on that very day. 

^^^ I think I am unable to express myself. The citation mentioned above p321 mentions that Kuru warriors rush towards Jaidrath.

As he was approaching towards Jaidrath Ashwathama,. Kripacharya, Karna, Vrishsen, Shalya were hit by him probably to stop their transverse towards Jaidrath. He then strikes Jaidrath and Jaidrath responds by hitting arrows onto Arjun.

It however doesn't mention what exactly were the other warriors doing during this time. They would have definitely not got stopped by the arrows Arjun hit, afterall this was topmost Kaurav lineup, it seems that while Arjun got engaged into the duel with Jaidrath, these people reached the spot and surrounded Jaidrath, probably by then Jaidrath's saarthi was killed. Saving Jaidrath that day was their top most priority afterall. Or else why would Krishna say about defeating the men within whose conceal Jaidrath is hiding. And about Jaidrath coming out of the conceal?

And the entire sun hiding illusion statement is way too much an important thing to be an interpolation especially. Adding that element for killing someone as Jaidrath?

Now both of us agree that Sunset illusion isn't a feasibility so what exactly was Krishna's suggestion?

But you are right, Duryodhan's statement also mentions that Arjun fulfilled his vow.

So now I am completely confused why was that sunset illusion specified and the fact that sun was setting pretty fast, aside why did the battle continue after sunset on that very day. 

Then cutting off Karna's bow as also of Vrishasena's, Arjuna felled Salya's driver from his niche in the car, with a broad-headed arrow. With many arrows that foremost of victors, viz., Dhananjaya, then deeply pierced in that battle Kripa and Aswatthaman, related as uncle and nephew to each other. Sorely afflicting those mighty car-warriors of thy army thus, the son of Pandu took up a terrible arrow of fiery splendour. Looking like the thunderbolt of Indra, and inspired with divine mantras, that formidable arrow was capable of bearing any strain. And it had been always worshipped with incense and garlands of flowers. Duly inspiring it (by mantras) with the force of the thunderbolt, that descendant, of Kuru, viz., the mighty-armed Arjuna, fixed it on Gandiva. When that arrow of fiery effulgence was fixed on the bowstring, loud shouts, O king, were heard in the welkin. Then Janardana, once more addressing Arjuna, quickly said, 'O Dhananjaya, quickly cut off the head of the wicked-souled ruler of the Sindhus! The sun is about to get at the mountain of Asta

Here Krishna is pointing towards location of the Sun, It didn't set before Arjuna could kill Jaidrath

Edited by NoraSM - 3 years ago

^^ he definitely was defeating those warriors but they didn't leave the spot, it's not mentioned

Then tell me why did Krishna mention about the sunset illusion. Why that conversation is there

And why did the war continue post sunset