Are people truly "adults" if they live with parents after adulthood?

Posted: 3 years ago

I know this topic is not directly related to Bollywood, but the other day I was watching the interview of Aishwarya Rai with David Letterman, and the question he asked her struck me. 

He asked, "Is it true that Indians live with their parents even after becoming adults?"

To this, Ash came up with a smartass answer that made Indians happy. 

But Letterman's question stayed with me. If someone continues to stay with their parents long after attaining adulthood and still obeying their parent's every word (like many men do), are they really adults in the true sense of the word? 

Food for thought. 

Isn’t taking care of the parents is also an adult’s job and responsibility. Are those really adults who choose to move out?

No. Don't you see how people keep saying, "bachcha hai," for anything wrong any 40 year old mostly male star kid does?

Edited by zoinks - 3 years ago

Originally posted by kyapa

Isn’t taking care of the parents is also an adult’s job and responsibility. Are those really adults who choose to move out?

What about parents of girls? 

What if the parents don't let them go, which is 80% of Indian parents. 

It depends on who is sleeping in the master bedroom 🤔 

Originally posted by kyapa

No offence, but living with parents often means limited freedom and more living under someone's authority. I've seen 40 year olds be admonished by their dads the same way as 10 year olds. What's the difference then? 

If you're an adult, then its necessary to be inependent. 

Originally posted by Maroonporsche

It depends on who is sleeping in the master bedroom 🤔 

LOL good one

But it's kind of tricky if you think about it. It's not as simple as kids taking care of parents coz I see both sides to it.

I think this topic will be moved to Debate section very soon

Originally posted by TrustNo1

What if the parents don't let them go, which is 80% of Indian parents. 

Grow balls maybe? And move out anyway. 

I see both sides🤔bcz of this living with parents thing in any crisis we hv more people to fall back on.also them being there can be such a guiding force n loving presence also.

But yeah it hinders independence.Doesnt let u be as self sufficient as you could be.also not to mention having totake permission from them even at late 20s

Best is living separate but very nearby in my opinion🤔