Posted: 3 years ago

Tell me the story of pradymuna and rukmavati

[QUOTE=Poorabhforever]

Pradyumna attends the swayamvar of Shubhangi also known as Vaidarbhi (princess of vidarbha), the daughter of Rukmi and niece of Rukmini. Shubhangi selects Pradyumna as her husband and is married to him with great festivities.

They have a son Aniruddha. When Aniruddha becomes older. Rukmi arranges his granddaugher (born to his son) Rochana also known as Rukmavati's marriage with him, because he liked Aniruddha and still cared for Rukmini apparently though he hated Krishna still.

It is in the marriage of Aniruddha and Rukmavati Balram kills Rukmi. They play a game of dice that Balram loses. Rukmi laughs at him. Balram is enraged, accusea him of cheating picks up the dice board and repeatedly hits rukmi with him and kills him

Krishna rushes to place from wherever he was but by then Rukmi is dead. He just walks away quietly because he is not able to choose between a crying Rukmini and angry balram. Then everyone quietly takes Rukmavati and return to Dwarka

So long story short: Pradyumna's daughter in law is Rukmavati married to his son Aniruddha

Aniruddha and Rukmavati have a son Vajra.

All this is in Harivansh, bhagvatham and Vishnu Purana.

By the way Vaidarbhi is terranym. Means princess of Vidarbha and was used for Rukmini, Shubhangi and Rochana and Rukmavati is patronymn means descendend from Rukmi and therefore used for both Shubhangi (Pradyumna's wife) and Rochana (his daughter in law)

Edited by Chiillii - 3 years ago

So this Vajra is the one who ruled Indraprastha later on no? 

Originally posted by CaptainSpark

So this Vajra is the one who ruled Indraprastha later on no? 

Hi brishti.  Long time

About vajra text says so. I have not found anything that says he gave up indraprasth  not sure what SB says But i will reserve my judgement on this as of now. 

[QUOTE=Chiillii]

Thank you. 

What do you think about vajra chilli. The much i have read both arjuna and even yudhishtra before he leaves hastinapur calls vajra as the king of indraprasth but popular opinion says that he did not rule indraprasth. What do you think?? 

Text is very clear in MB and in Bhagvatham. Vajra is crowned king of remaining Vrishnis at Indraprasth.

This means, since Vrishnis had no home of their own, they were taken in as refugees and given a home at IP. Vajra would still remain a vassal to Parikshit. Indraprasth would remain a dominion of Hastinapur and not an independent kingdom. It remained so till Kshemaka the last descendent of Pandavs till Magadhans conquered it.

Eventually Vajra was able to regroup, re arm and establish himself in the Vrishnis earlier ancestral home Mathura as an Independent king. But he is not able to bring vrishnis to same glory as Krishna or even at par to Parikshit. Neither do his descendents. They fall much earlier to the rising Magadha.

Originally posted by Poorabhforever

Hi brishti.  Long time

About vajra text says so. I have not found anything that says he gave up indraprasth  not sure what SB says But i will reserve my judgement on this as of now. 

Heyy Adhya! 

I also didn't hear of anything as such but i was wondering how Vajra came to rule Indraprastha. Don't know much about this

Originally posted by Chiillii

Text is very clear in MB and in Bhagvatham. Vajra is crowned king of remaining Vrishnis at Indraprasth.

This means, since Vrishnis had no home of their own, they were taken in as refugees and given a home at IP. Vajra would still remain a vassal to Parikshit. Indraprasth would remain a dominion of Hastinapur and not an independent kingdom. It remained so till Kshemaka the last descendent of Pandavs till Magadhans conquered it.

Eventually Vajra was able to regroup, re arm and establish himself in the Vrishnis earlier ancestral home Mathura as an Independent king. But he is not able to bring vrishnis to same glory as Krishna or even at par to Parikshit. Neither do his descendents. They fall much earlier to the rising Magadha.

Could you tell us more about the rise of Magadh? I have read much about the prominence of Magadh in post Mahabharat age. Want to know how this came about. The last I heard Jarasandha was defeated, ans then post MB I have read about Nanda kings. Dhanananda who eventually was defeated by CGM. I am sure lot came in between which we don't know much about

Parikshit was the last strong king of Hstinapur. His son janmejaya started the needless sarpasatra and depleted quite a lot of the wealth and Hastinapur's influence as the seat of empire in India.

Then another blow came in the form of change of course of River Ganga in the time of Janmejaya's grandson. Whole Hastinapur and the developed syrrounding areas were destroyed completely. Like what happened in dwarka. The capital had to be moved to Koushambi. This destroyed any remaining influence Hastinapur and its rulers had. They became small kings and continued for few more generations before being swallowed by Magadhans.

Magadha on the other hand started rising soon after yadava fratricide. Sahdev, Jarasandh's son had died in the war but his son somapi ruled after him. They had 10 or 12 more descendents who were called Vrihadrathas (named after jarasandh's ancestor) each very strong and able who took advantage of weaker kings around them and consolidated the power at Pataliputra. Then came 5 generation of Pradyota kings most likely from son in law of last Vrihadratha king . The last king was overthrown by his minister. And this became a pattern. There were 10 sisunagas follewed by 5 or 7 Nandas. Then 10 Mouryas. Greatest of whom was Asoka....Then there were sungas after them and so on. Till pratihara rajput kings and chouhans moved the control back to Indraprasth, now known as Delhi..

Originally posted by Poorabhforever

One thing about this: Pradhyumna had a wife called Mayavati, who was actually Rati in another form (since Pradhyumna was Kama reborn, after trying to distract Mahadev into noticing Parvati).  When he was reunited w/ his parents, Mayawati was w/ him, as his wife.  So how is it that there were no sons from this couple?  Or did Vajra actually belong to them, rather than to him and Rukmavati?