Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Gurmeet4Drashti thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Whats-in-a-name

Beautiful, simply beautiful. How did I possibly miss this? The first thing I did after reading your comment was to check out the YT cover. Ali Sethi has a beautiful voice. I'm a fan of his cover of Ranjish Hi Sahi (no comparisons with Mehdi Hassan, that would be unfair). 

This ghazal in its entirety is poignantly beautiful, no surprises there given that the one in command of the pen is none other than Faiz. Leaving behind the missing lines from the YT version:

'faiz' diloñ ke bhaag meñ hai ghar bharnā bhī luT jaanā bhī

tum is husn ke lutf-o-karam par kitne din itrāoge

Faiz, 'tis the destiny of the heart to have its abode inhabited, then plundered

How long will you revel in the ephemeral munificence of beauty?

(Loose translation by yours faithfully)

I should admit that I let out a sigh and an uff after reading almost every post and sheir but I was JUST listening to Ranjish hi sahin.. 

Whats-in-a-name thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: Gurmeet4Drashti

Just so you know: 

Kisi sabab se agar bolta nahi hu main,

To yun nahi ki tujhe sochta nahi hu mai...

-Iftikhar Mughal

'Maana ke mohabbat ka chhupana hai mohabbat,

Phir bhi tu kisi roz jatane ke liye aa '

;)

'Maana ke mohabbat ka chhupana hai mohabbat,

Phir bhi tu kisi roz jatane ke liye aa '

;)

Aap ki yaad aati rahi raat bhar,

Chandni dil dukhati rahi raat bhar...

-Faiz Ahmed Faiz

🤗

Whats-in-a-name thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail

Aap ki yaad aati rahi raat bhar,

Chandni dil dukhati rahi raat bhar...

-Faiz Ahmed Faiz

🤗

Baat woh aadhi raat ki,

Raat woh puure chaand ki,

Chaand bhi ain chait ka,

Usspar tera Jamaal bhi...

-Parveen Shakir

❤️

Edited by Whats-in-a-name - 3 years ago
RainyDays thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Also can I just say how happy I am to have made acquaintance with yet another poetry lover here? A little something to welcome you to this mehfil-

aaj is bazm me.n aa.e ho ba.Dii dhuum ke saath

be-KHudii mahv-e-nazaara hai tumhaarii KHaatir

-Azmi

I’m an amateur seeker of poetry. This story is such a welcome nudge towards this semi-explored interest, for which I can’t thank you enough!

Being spoken to/holding a conversation, in manner of songs/sher/shayari exudes such gravity and import than mere words could ever do. Shukriya for the words and the warmth it radiates!

Baat woh aadhi raat ki,

Raat woh puure chaand ki,

Chaand bhi ain chait ka,

Usspar tera Jamaal bhi...

-Parveen Shakir

❤️

Aap ka intezaar kaun kare,

Roz ka intezaar kaun kare

*ahem update ahem* 

RainyDays thumbnail

I should admit that I let out a sigh and an uff after reading almost every post and sheir but I was JUST listening to Ranjish hi sahin.. 

100% relate!

When I started reading a couple of days back and was going through the thread abundant with such shers one after another, the rush of emotion was swift and bountiful and made me think 'There's no way this could be good for my heart'. Ah, but I was wrong, it is good, it is. 😊

Originally posted by: RainyDays

100% relate!

When I started reading a couple of days back and was going through the thread abundant with such shers one after another, the rush of emotion was swift and bountiful and made me think 'There's no way this could be good for my heart'. Ah, but I was wrong, it is good, it is. 😊

I had my heart freshly broken then and this thread made me sigh pathetically! 😳😂

But I agree, it invokes an instant bout of emotion and just everything hits home. 

RainyDays thumbnail

Chapter 2 -

If only ‘wah wah’ could encapsulate all the praise I want to bestow at that breath-taking ending!

Unrequited feelings aside, we really have something to thank Payal for. I wish her the best, she seems such a pleasant person!

So apne aap ko, barbaad karke dekhte hain,” Oh! It seems like a challenge has been issued by Arnav to his own heart, to his own resolutions. Its a blessing that both the conquerer and the conquered are  the gainers in the end!

The couplets at the beginning (and the entire ghazal, as well)  is so intense and sincere, it is a struggle to begin to explain the affect it has.

Through some research, limited by my inability, I could translate 'Iss diid ki sa’at mein, kayi rang hain larzaan' as 'Even a glance that lasts a mere second reverberates my soul with myriad shades of emotions.' 

I feel that that two line couplet expands into and coexists with the beautifully written ending flawlessly.

(It also reminded me of the lines 'tu kisi rail si guzarti hai,
main kisi pul sa.. thartharata hoon' by Dushyant Kumar.)

In honour of all this chapter ceremoniously led to, few lines from a song from Jodha Akbar penned by Javed Akhtar —

Khamosh si hai zameen, hairaan sa falak hai

Ek noor hi noor sa abb aasmaan talak hai

Nagme hi nagme hain jaagati soti fizaon mein, 

Husn hain saari adaon mein

Ishq hain jaise hawaon mein

Edited by RainyDays - 3 years ago
RainyDays thumbnail

Chapter 3 (1)

As was intended, the couplets of ghazal that was presented at start embodies the soul of the chapter so perfectly! 

That beginning was heartbreaking, beautifully put. Her feelings run so deep that it made it even more poignant for the imminent heartbreak that she is in for.

The rushed recital and the thought of it being spoken in reverent tones reminded me of the following couplet from the same ghazal, 'Suna hai usko bhi hai sher-o-shayari se shagaf , so hum bhi mojaze apane hunar ke dekhate hainand left me in want of it being tested soon! 

The ending you left us at is absolutely brutal and has certainly taken all sabr o qarār☺️