Mahabharat and Ramayan- Questions

Posted: 3 years ago

Hello, Myself Piyali...actually I happen to have alot many questions on the epics- Mahabharat and Ramayana both objective and subjective and even though being a very curious soul I usually tend to search up answers online mostly but still some questions( infact a lot many of them) still remain in my mind and so I thought if I could find some answers here, that would be great. Also, the reasons for my questions increasing exponentially has to the fact that I ended up watching around half of Ramanand Sagar Ji's Ramayana , some scenes of B.R Chopra Ji's Mahabharat and also a significant portion of star plus Mahabharat in this lockdown and eventually ended up reading a lot on these both as well , on this forum ( as a silent reader) as well as online which even though answered some questions of mine but gave rise to many others so I thought to post them all at one place given these keep coming and going out of my mind on their own leaving me wondering so I would be really grateful if someone could answer these, Also as a note, I would  be honest, My some subjective questions have some questions on actions of Ram Ji and Krishan Ji and those are purely  because I do want to believe them but then these actions leave me wondering how can God do that so I am asking those if someone could help.

So firstly  on Ramayana:

1.) Why did armies of Mithila and Ayodhya not help Ramji in his fight against Ravan? Sita Mata was Mithila's princess and Ramji Ayodhya's King so why did they not help in the fight or did they and I am mistaken? Also I watched the scene where Ravan told Meghnath that he would be Ayodhya's king after defeating Ramji? How come he if Ayodhya's army didn't fight in that battle?

2.) Why did Ramji not follow Sita Mata when she was send out of Ayodhya for something which wasn't her fault? Sita Mata also followed him in his vanvaas so why not he? I understood the Raja ka Kartavya thing and that he can't give Praja a queen they don't want that is explained in Ramanand Sagar ji's Ramayan but what about his Pati ka Kartavya? Given Bharat ji was also handing the kingdom for 14 years of his vanvaas so he could of course handle it forever as well taking advice from Ramji if necesaary, and also, Isn't a vow of marriage about protecting Wife and being together forever then why did Ramji break a vow when he let Sita Mata go all alone and fend for herself?

Mahabharat:

1.) Why did Parshuram Ji teach warfare to Bheeshma Pitamah given he was clear he wouldn't teach Kshatriyas? Bheeshma was also a Kshatriya being King Shantanu's son, Yes he was also Ganga Mata's son and Ganga would not have cast but half blood was Kshatriya , also Ganga Mata is supposed to be King Himavan's daughter which does make her Kshatriya and Bheeshma a complete Kshatriya so why?

2.) Parshuram Ji is also Vishnu Ji's incarnation so how could he differentiate between castes and tag a whole caste as wrong purely because one man of that caste killed his father? How could he do that being God? Also the reason he finally realized Karna's identity in Mahabharat, Isn't that a subtle verification of caste by birth system given Parshuram ji( God) feels that a Bhramin can't have so much body strength to bear the pain of the insect? Given Karna was learning warfare, even if he was a Bhramin, he might have had enough body strength by then to bear it due to rigorous training, even Parshuram ji himself might have had it so how did he believe it on that basis or am I mistaken?

3.) Given Dronacharya was Parshuram Ji's Student and Drupad was Kshatriya so couldn't be his student so when did they become friends, I always thought their friendship was in Gurukul days but then I realized Dronacharya was Parshuram Ji's student so when did they become friends?

I had a lot many other questions which I am not able to recall right now so I might post more when I remember, would be more than happy if someone could tell me about these. 

Originally posted by .Piyali..

Mahabharat:

1.) Why did Parshuram Ji teach warfare to Bheeshma Pitamah given he was clear he wouldn't teach Kshatriyas? Bheeshma was also a Kshatriya being King Shantanu's son, Yes he was also Ganga Mata's son and Ganga would not have cast but half blood was Kshatriya , also Ganga Mata is supposed to be King Himavan's daughter which does make her Kshatriya and Bheeshma a complete Kshatriya so why?

2.) Parshuram Ji is also Vishnu Ji's incarnation so how could he differentiate between castes and tag a whole caste as wrong purely because one man of that caste killed his father? How could he do that being God? Also the reason he finally realized Karna's identity in Mahabharat, Isn't that a subtle verification of caste by birth system given Parshuram ji( God) feels that a Bhramin can't have so much body strength to bear the pain of the insect? Given Karna was learning warfare, even if he was a Bhramin, he might have had enough body strength by then to bear it due to rigorous training, even Parshuram ji himself might have had it so how did he believe it on that basis or am I mistaken?

3.) Given Dronacharya was Parshuram Ji's Student and Drupad was Kshatriya so couldn't be his student so when did they become friends, I always thought their friendship was in Gurukul days but then I realized Dronacharya was Parshuram Ji's student so when did they become friends?

I had a lot many other questions which I am not able to recall right now so I might post more when I remember, would be more than happy if someone could tell me about these. 

1) Parshuramji hated kshatriyas because of his reason of Avatar as at that time kshatriyas became very cruel and arrogant.Also by talking about kshatriyas u should keep in mind the word varna which means that this person is kshatriya because he fights(not jaati).The reason for teaching bhishma pitamah was because he was ganga mata's son and ganga mata took him with her when he was new-born and every person at the time of birth is shudra acc. to manu smriti and only after he/she acquires knowledge that the person becomes brahmin, kshatriya and shudra etc.

2) Karna was kshatriya (as sutas are also kshatriya) only (he was cursed due to his lie)and now talking about that strength then the mostly brahmins were veg. and kshatriyas were non-veg(they needed aggression and strength to fight war).And to understand Parshuramji's actions refer to above answer.

3) Dronacharya had two teachers.One his father rishi Bharadwaj and other Parshuramji.May be they became friends at his father's ashram.

Thanks a lot for answering, My replies in bold 

Originally posted by Horizon566

1) Parshuramji hated kshatriyas because of his reason of Avatar as at that time kshatriyas became very cruel and arrogant.Also by talking about kshatriyas u should keep in mind the word varna which means that this person is kshatriya because he fights(not jaati).The reason for teaching bhishma pitamah was because he was ganga mata's son and ganga mata took him with her when he was new-born and every person at the time of birth is shudra acc. to manu smriti and only after he/she acquires knowledge that the person becomes brahmin, kshatriya and shudra etc.

Oh, I am able to understand but sorry for my lack of knowledge, wasn't Parshuramji himself a kshatriya then? Because he was also fighting and killing?

2) Karna was kshatriya (as sutas are also kshatriya) only (he was cursed due to his lie)and now talking about that strength then the mostly brahmins were veg. and kshatriyas were non-veg(they needed aggression and strength to fight war).And to understand Parshuramji's actions refer to above answer.

Oh...Ok, that makes sense 

3) Dronacharya had two teachers.One his father rishi Bharadwaj and other Parshuramji.May be they became friends at his father's ashram.

Yes, Could be. I didn't knew this, Thanks a lot for all your answers ðŸ˜Š

Thanks a lot for answering, My replies in bold 

Welcome and yes Parshuramji was kshatriya as he was fighting but when he used to kill kings then he used to go to tapasya or something so u can also say he was brahmin.Your ramayan questions I will answer later on.

Originally posted by Horizon566

Welcome and yes Parshuramji was kshatriya as he was fighting but when he used to kill kings then he used to go to tapasya or something so u can also say he was brahmin.Your ramayan questions I will answer later on.

Oh, Ok, I understood, Thanks again

Will be waiting ðŸ˜Š

[QUOTE=.Piyali..]

Hello, Myself Piyali...actually I happen to have alot many questions on the epics- Mahabharat and Ramayana both objective and subjective and even though being a very curious soul I usually tend to search up answers online mostly but still some questions( infact a lot many of them) still remain in my mind and so I thought if I could find some answers here, that would be great. Also, the reasons for my questions increasing exponentially has to the fact that I ended up watching around half of Ramanand Sagar Ji's Ramayana , some scenes of B.R Chopra Ji's Mahabharat and also a significant portion of star plus Mahabharat in this lockdown and eventually ended up reading a lot on these both as well , on this forum ( as a silent reader) as well as online which even though answered some questions of mine but gave rise to many others so I thought to post them all at one place given these keep coming and going out of my mind on their own leaving me wondering so I would be really grateful if someone could answer these, Also as a note, I would  be honest, My some subjective questions have some questions on actions of Ram Ji and Krishan Ji and those are purely  because I do want to believe them but then these actions leave me wondering how can God do that so I am asking those if someone could help.

So firstly  on Ramayana:

1.) Why did armies of Mithila and Ayodhya not help Ramji in his fight against Ravan? Sita Mata was Mithila's princess and Ramji Ayodhya's King so why did they not help in the fight or did they and I am mistaken? Also I watched the scene where Ravan told Meghnath that he would be Ayodhya's king after defeating Ramji? How come he if Ayodhya's army didn't fight in that battle?

2.) Why did Ramji not follow Sita Mata when she was send out of Ayodhya for something which wasn't her fault? Sita Mata also followed him in his vanvaas so why not he? I understood the Raja ka Kartavya thing and that he can't give Praja a queen they don't want that is explained in Ramanand Sagar ji's Ramayan but what about his Pati ka Kartavya? Given Bharat ji was also handing the kingdom for 14 years of his vanvaas so he could of course handle it forever as well taking advice from Ramji if necesaary, and also, Isn't a vow of marriage about protecting Wife and being together forever then why did Ramji break a vow when he let Sita Mata go all alone and fend for herself?

1) Ramji was banished from the kingdom which means that he can't use any supply and royalty from his kingdom and as far mithila is concerned then there is nothing given in valmiki ramayan or any other  about its reaction on war.And meghnad yes he could hve become ayodhya's king as bharatji was regent but it again depends on bharatji whether he would have fought the war against him inorder to save ayodhya or quitely gave him kingdom.

2) Now coming to Uttarakand then there is confusion regarding its authenticity (not illogical reason like ramji can't send sitaji as it's misogyny or something.If u want can give u) some believe entire kand is false including sitaji's vanvas while some believe only sitaji's vanvas part is true.As there are many inconsistencies so people think that ramji ordering lakshmanji to leave sitaji NEAR VALMIKI ASHRAM and then telling her later about the banishment is also wrong(given in valmiki ramayan).Instead it was joint decision by them (as given in one of the main sources of ramayan).Now ramji not accompanying sitaji like she did then he was king and as u know about the duties of king then I will not elaborate it.Moreover no bharatji wouldn't have accepted throne in this condition unlike earlier where he was bound by kaikeyi's promises.And Ramji not fulfilling the wedding vows then it is not true as even though he couldn't support her by saying to the public go to hell even then he slapped his praja by not remarrying,installing golden statue of sitaji and by saying to the public when luv kush came to sing ramayan, that it is "sita mahan charitam".And even if he would have left the kingdom then people(of present too) would have doubted sitaji or would have accused her of snatching ramji.By doing this ramji took blame on him but didn't let sitaji to take any blame.Moreover if both of them would have resided in the palace by ignoring people's remarks then people would have accused them for misusing their power and all four of them (including luv kush) would not be able to live in peace.(i hve ignored all divine interruptions here).This can be understood by the quote of chanakya niti too which says that "If by sacrificing a person u can save family do so.If by sacrificing a family u can save the whole village then do so.If by sacrificing a village u can save the whole country do so."

Edited by Horizon566 - 3 years ago

[QUOTE=Horizon566]

1) Oh, But still, Sita ji was Ayodhya's Kul vadhu and also Laxman ji could ask for help,no? Also, I meant it more in the sense of Bharat ji himself coming to help rather than Ramji asking for it...Nothing mentioned about that? Also understood about Meghnath, Thanks for help

[QUOTE=Horizon566]

2) Waoh, That makes so much sense, Thanks, I would also like to believe it was a joint decision then ðŸ˜Š

Hi Piyali! <3

So firstly  on Ramayana:

When Seeta was abducted, Rama was going about as a hermit. His coronation was not done so technically, Ayodhya had no King. He was King just in name, and Bharat was his regent. This is why Rama might have refrained from asking the Ayodhya peeps to come down.

Also, communication was slow. To find Seetao nly they took like 10months, and another month to travel down to the sea-shore. So, to wait for the Ayodhya army to first come to Kishkindha, then to Lanka, it would've been tiresome, and many people would've died on the way thus weakening both Rama's and Ayodhya's army.

Then, as I mentioned Ayodhya did not have a coronated King for 14 years. Bharat did the administrative stuff but he did not have powers equal to a coronated King. In this case, he needed all the support he could to keep Ayodhya safe from invaders and such. The most important asset of them was Ayodhya's formidable army, to remove even one soldier would weaken Ayodhya's defenses and would potentially jeopardize Rama's accession in the future.

Rama did not leave her to fend for herself. He had clearly instructed Lakshman to leave her in a secure place, and Lakshman left her close to Valmiki's ashram.

As to why Bharat couldn't be the King was that people would not take kindly to him. The sentiment of 'Rama Rajya' was running too high for the praja to accept anyone but Rama at their helm. There would've been a revolt if Bharat (or anyone else for that matter) became King while Rama was alive.

Given Rama had been practically forced by his Praja to give up Seeta, I believe they had the power to dethrone Bharat as well. For the sake of peace, did Rama have to give Seeta up.

Mahabharat:

He didn't say he wouldn't teach Kshatryias. He only happened to run a separate school which was dedicated to teaching Brahmans. Bheeshma wasn't a part of this school, and Karna lied to get in.

2.) Parshuram Ji is also Vishnu Ji's incarnation so how could he differentiate between castes and tag a whole caste as wrong purely because one man of that caste killed his father? How could he do that being God?

Um, we like to believe the caste of a person was different from the personalty of the person. This was not always the case since the caste-by-birth had almost drilled the stereotypical characteristics into the respective people over time. The Kshatriyas as a result of ruling unquestionably for a long time had become arrogant...so much so that Kshatriya and arrogance had almost become synonyms.

This trend was developed over generations of similar-minded people. Arrogant people raised arrogant children and it became a vicious cycle. In order to break this cycle, Parashurama killed all adult Kshatriyas.

Mind you, he spared all women and children. All such children were then given over to different Brahmans and enrolled in Gurukuls so that they could be raised devoid of their heritage of arrogance.

This in turn began the age of Brahman domination.

Also the reason he finally realized Karna's identity in Mahabharat, Isn't that a subtle verification of caste by birth system given Parshuram ji( God) feels that a Bhramin can't have so much body strength to bear the pain of the insect? Given Karna was learning warfare, even if he was a Bhramin, he might have had enough body strength by then to bear it due to rigorous training, even Parshuram ji himself might have had it so how did he believe it on that basis or am I mistaken?

Yes, their DNA was conditioned to match their castes at this point. SInce Brahmans were mostly peaceful book-reading types their body structure was not fit for battle. Of course there were exceptions, a lot of them, but in general for Brahman candidates it took a lot more of vigour and practice to match Kshatriyas in this. Again, Brahmans had an advantage in the Education sector.

Regarding Karna, Parashuram must have had his doubts, that insect only confirmed it for him.

Drona and Drupada became friends in Drona's father Bharadwaja's gurukul when both of them spent their childhood. Parashuram only taught him the divine weapons, but separately.

Actually, Parashuram was giving away his possessions to Brahmans. Hearing this, Drona went to ask for alms. When Drona reached Parashuram, the latter only had his weapons left with him, so he offered those to Drone. When Drona accepted then Parashuram showed him how to use those.

It wasn't a traditional Guru-Shishya thing, it was more like a manager training his best employee to become the next manager.

Hope I could help you here! Would love to help you out with further doubts to the best of my ability! <3

Narad curse Vishnu  that in treat yug  u will  separate from ur wife and only vanar  sena  will  help u  in reuniting  with ur wife  

So in order to make narad curse true Lord ram didn't not make mithila naresh  ayodhya   to help ram during ram ravan battle as according to narad curse only vanar sena no human being  can fight for ram in battle  and more over  Lord vishu  respect narad curse 

Secondly Lord ram could not use any  city facilities as he was in vanvaas times