Posted: 4 years ago

Today I was watching the film for the umpteenth number of time and the repeat value of the film is still the same. I've never liked a South film as much as I've enjoyed watching this masterpiece. What a film and what a sensational performance by Vikram! Did he win a national award for his performance?

I love his acting. I saw it in theatre and i was mindblown by his performance.

Great movie....his alter ego is funny and creepy at the same time. The textual premise seems to be a lift from Dante's Hell tho....not the text commonly believed...no touted to be the basis.

Originally posted by nigahen

Great movie....his alter ego is funny and creepy at the same time. The textual premise seems to be a lift from Dante's Hell tho....not the text commonly believed...no touted to be the basis.

But his multiple personality disorder syndrome never went away even after his treatment.

love it.

this one and Nagarjuna movie trios(Don No 1, Mass and King No 1) were the very first South Indian dubbed movies whose massive popularity in Indian television,  paved way for the South Indian dubbed movies ruling Hindi channels.

Originally posted by Unfair_Salman

But his multiple personality disorder syndrome never went away even after his treatment.

Yes it didn't....I never said it did. If you're asking me why or how...I can surmise....I think it's because he fooled the people treating him..a person with a certain level of intelligence can figure out the right and wrong answers to psychological tests. Actually by the end of the movie, he had developed a third personality that was much closer to his idealised idea of himself...

Originally posted by nigahen

Yes it didn't....I never said it did. If you're asking me why or how...I can surmise....I think it's because he fooled the people treating him..a person with a certain level of intelligence can figure out the right and wrong answers to psychological tests. Actually by the end of the movie, he had developed a third personality that was much closer to his idealised idea of himself...

oh then what happened to his other personas Remo and Aparachit? was Remo one just an act he used to put on? or both were original?

all south indian dubbed movies are total bakwaas. this one was kinda bearable.. havent seen many of them , cant sit beyond 10-15 mins

Originally posted by Unfair_Salman

oh then what happened to his other personas Remo and Aparachit? was Remo one just an act he used to put on? or both were original?

I had written a really long reply and  through the vagaries it's gone..😣....No none of the personalities were acts...he actually had Multiple Personality Disorder. I watched the movie really long ago and had forgotten that Remo and Aparichit were different...but now you've jogged my memory...my bad! 

So Ambi the lawyer had 2 other personalities, Remo and Aparichit. Ambi wasn't really the type who could put on an act. No..he was passive, repressed and a pushover. When he couldn't handle people's disdain towards their civic duties, he split into Aparichit. And when he couldn't handle the rejection from the love of his life, he dissociated again into Remo,a confident, outgoing, suave model that would appeal to his ladylove. 

Research suggests that usually the original personality is a repressed and passive type while the alters are more aggressive and we see the same in case of Ambi. 

As to the question of what happened to them,...in the last scene in the train we see a wholesome individual, we see a more balanced personality that's closest to Remo's prototype but a much more responsible and staid Remo. I guess we can assume that whatever treatment he received must have been successful for him to exhibit this wholesome persona. Until we see him casually murder again. 

So was the treatment successful or not? I suggested that he cheated on the psychological tests. While the summary by the film's makers  indicates that he relapsed.

I guess either theory can be correct. Because at the end ( I checked this on IMDB presently as I had forgotten bits) he kills the electrician indirectly responsible for his sister's murder. So was he completely cured of his affliction and was this the last time and he only relapsed because of how deeply he was scarred by his sister's death? Or was he able to compartmentalize the killer part into a separate segment of his now more balanced and wholesome personality? That's something we don't know. 

Hope this makes sense. Oh well...It's turned into another extra long writeup. 🙂

Forget India, Vikram is one of the best actors in the entire world. He is a gem! He missed out the NA cos they thought AB deserved it for black, although AB didn’t deserve it more than Vikram. Vikram deserved for Sethu, Deivathirumagal and I as well, but we know how awards work in India.