ArHi || Boundless; (Of poets and poetry) - Page 3

Posted: 4 years ago

I am declaring myself the official stalker for your thread! I can't wait to see what @Gurmeet4Drashti and you unearth from your treasure trove next. 

Originally posted by Gurmeet4Drashti

Right! I think it would take a lifetime to dissect just how powerful the ghazal is. When I was at my lowest, chanting shaam hi toh hai over and over again helped. 

Here’s another absolute favorite of mine,

aur bhī dukh haiñ zamāne meñ mohabbat ke sivā

rāhateñ aur bhī haiñ vasl kī rāhat ke sivā

Oh it’s absolutely my pleasure! Feels lovely to gush over something beautiful. 

Same here. It is another kind of delightful rush that one feels to make an acquaintance with a fellow poetry lover. Shaam hi toh hai is in fact the last video-recorded recitation by Faiz that is available if I'm not wrong. Makes it all the more special. Speaking of hope and Faiz, here is another one- 

nahīñ nigāh meñ manzil to justujū hī sahī

nahīñ visāl mayassar to aarzū hī sahī

gar intizār kaThin hai to jab talak ai dil

kisī ke vāda-e-fardā kī guftugū hī sahī

Originally posted by Arshi67

I am declaring myself the official stalker for your thread! I can't wait to see what @Gurmeet4Drashti and you unearth from your treasure trove next. 

Thank you so much. You are most welcome to be a part of the mehfil. As Faiz himself would say-

kisī tarah to jame bazm mai-kade vaalo

nahīñ jo bāda-o-sāġhar to hāv-hū hī sahī

Or perhaps if Mirza Ghalib were here, he would say-

qafas udaas hai yaaro sabā se kuchh to kaho

kahīñ to behr-e-ḳhudā aaj zikr-e-yār chale

Right! I think it would take a lifetime to dissect just how powerful the ghazal is. When I was at my lowest, chanting shaam hi toh hai over and over again helped. 

Here’s another absolute favorite of mine,

aur bhī dukh haiñ zamāne meñ mohabbat ke sivā

rāhateñ aur bhī haiñ vasl kī rāhat ke sivā

Oh it’s absolutely my pleasure! Feels lovely to gush over something beautiful. 

I forgot to mention, Mujhse pehli si mohabbat mere mehboob na maang has to be amongst Faiz's best works (as hard as it is to choose from between them).

lauT jaatī hai udhar ko bhī nazar kyā kiije

ab bhī dilkash hai tirā husn magar kyā kiije

Oh the heartbreak that these lines invoke.

Originally posted by Whats-in-a-name

Same here. It is another kind of delightful rush that one feels to make an acquaintance with a fellow poetry lover. Shaam hi toh hai is in fact the last video-recorded recitation by Faiz that is available if I'm not wrong. Makes it all the more special. Speaking of hope and Faiz, here is another one- 

nahīñ nigāh meñ manzil to justujū hī sahī

nahīñ visāl mayassar to aarzū hī sahī

gar intizār kaThin hai to jab talak ai dil

kisī ke vāda-e-fardā kī guftugū hī sahī

Oh wow! I didn’t know that. 

Another random trivia, which made “mujh se pehli si mohabbat” so special for me, was the respect he bestowed on Noor Jehan by never reciting it again after hearing her version, as he felt that song belonged to her!! 

This one is so heartbreaking but reverent, 

guloñ meñ rañg bhare bād-e-nau-bahār chale

chale bhī aao ki gulshan kā kārobār chale

Originally posted by Arshi67

Hello! 

This one is for you, 

ye aarzū bhī baḌī chiiz hai magar hamdam

visāl-e-yār faqat aarzū kī baat nahīñ

I’m Nida btw :) 

Oh wow! I didn’t know that. 

Another random trivia, which made “mujh se pehli si mohabbat” so special for me, was the respect he bestowed on Noor Jehan by never reciting it again after hearing her version, as he felt that song belonged to her!! 

This one is so heartbreaking but reverent, 

guloñ meñ rañg bhare bād-e-nau-bahār chale

chale bhī aao ki gulshan kā kārobār chale

And this was a trivia that I was unaware of. Beautiful. Reminds me of how Ghalib had agreed to trade his entire diwan in exchange for one sher of Momin Khan Momin -

tum mire paas hote ho goyā

jab koī dūsrā nahīñ hotā

How lovely the coincidence that you should quote gulon mein rang bhare at the same moment that I picked a sher from it to reply to @Arshi67. It is a beautiful, beautiful ghazal. Reminded me of another sher from the very same piece-

jo ham pe guzrī so guzrī magar shab-e-hijrāñ

hamāre ashk tirī āqibat sañvār chale

Originally posted by Whats-in-a-name

I forgot to mention, Mujhse pehli si mohabbat mere mehboob na maang has to be amongst Faiz's best works (as hard as it is to choose from between them).

lauT jaatī hai udhar ko bhī nazar kyā kiije

ab bhī dilkash hai tirā husn magar kyā kiije

Oh the heartbreak that these lines invoke.

Whoa. We were talking about mujhse pehli si mohabbat at the same time!! It just makes you feel everything at once.. 

Damnit. This one line, “terī āñkhoñ ke sivā duniyā meñ rakkhā kyā hai” has the ability to make me pathetic and sob at the sheer magnitude of love. 

Whoa. We were talking about mujhse pehli si mohabbat at the same time!! It just makes you feel everything at once.. 

Damnit. This one line, “terī āñkhoñ ke sivā duniyā meñ rakkhā kyā hai” has the ability to make me pathetic and sob at the sheer magnitude of love. 

I know what you mean. It's an exhilarating mixture of resignation, disillusionment, and heartbreak. 

Beautiful and intriguing start....love to see how it goes. Please do continue.