The Sky is Pink review and Box office thread- discuss here

Posted: 4 years ago

Actor Priyanka Chopra and Farhan Akhtar’s upcoming Bollywood film, The Sky Is Pink was screened at the Toronto International Film Festival on Saturday and received an overwhelming 4-minute long standing ovation. The early reviews of the film hint at an emotional roller-coaster ride with only praise coming in for director Shonali Bose.

Praising Shonali’s direction skills, Wayne R took to Twitter and wrote, “The way Shonali Bose shot the film and used flashbacks effectively added more depth to the film. Also having the daughter narrate the film added another layer of connection to her. At the end of the film #TheSkyIsPink is received a standing ovation from the audience.”

Priyanka Chopra and Farhan Akhtar attend a premiere for The Sky is Pink on day nine of the Toronto International Film Festival at Roy Thomson Hall on Friday. ( AP )

He also shared his experience of listening to members of the Chaudhary family at the festival as the story is based on the life of Aisha Chaudhary, played by Zaira Wasim in the film.

“Amazing to hear from the Chaudhary family today which is whom #TheSkyIsPink is based. Deep, emotional film about family fighting to keep their daughter alive due to a health condition. @priyankachopra was outstanding and @FarOutAkhtar was great too. You will cry,” he tweeted.

Wayne R@WaynieTDot

· Sep 14, 2019

Amazing to hear from the Chaudhary family today which is whom #TheSkyIsPink is based.

Deep, emotional film about family fighting to keep their daughter alive due to a health condition.@priyankachopra was outstanding and @FarOutAkhtar was great too. You will 😭#TIFF19

Embedded video

Wayne R@WaynieTDot

The way Shonali Bose shot the film and used flashbacks effectively added more depth to the film. Also having the daughter narrate the film added another layer of connection to her.

At the end of the film #TheSkyIsPink is received a standing ovation from the audience #TIFF19

11:26 PM - Sep 14, 2019

Niren Chaudhary, Priyanka Chopra, Aditi Chaudhary and Farhan Akhtar attend a premiere for The Sky is Pink on day nine of the Toronto International Film Festival at Roy Thomson Hall on Friday, Sept. 13, 2019, in Toronto. ( AP )

Overwhelmed after watching the movie, Dr Winder Gill wrote, “Wow this movie was incredible! It was an honour to have the Bose and Chaudhary families in the audience today! #TIFF2019.” He added that after watching the film , he will try to advocate more for those with immune deficiencies. “It has reinforced why I went into #Medicine and my job as an #Immunologist,” he said.

He wrote in another tweet, “There are no words to console those who have lost lives, but your courage & stories help everyone. I myself think of patients who became my friends & family, often spending more time with them than my own family. I’m so privileged to have known them. I hope for a cure.” 

Dr. Winder Gill@winder_gill

· Sep 15, 2019

After watching #TheSkyIsPink I just have to try to advocate more for those with #immunedeficiencies - It has reinforced why I went into #Medicine and my job as an #Immunologist - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC525750/ …

Dr. Winder Gill@winder_gill

There are no words to console those who have lost lives, but your courage & stories help everyone. I myself think of patients who became my friends & family, often spending more time with them than my own family. I'm so privileged to have known them. I hope for a cure.

3:00 AM - Sep 15, 2019

Calling the film a tearjerker, a viewer with the Twitter name Writethana wrote, “What a powerful Saturday of #TIFF19 films! Started my day with this tear jerker. #TheSkyIsPink cast talk about this amazing story of a family’s courageous journey!”

Writethana@writethana

What a powerful Saturday of #TIFF19 films! Started my day with this tear jerker. #TheSkyIsPink cast talk about this amazing story of a family's courageous journey! http://bit.ly/2kMEAe2 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/bollywood/the-sky-is-pink-early-reviews-priyanka-chopra-s-film-receives-4-minute-long-standing-ovation-actor-hailed-as-outstanding/story-V0Op3B7NqlyR7BUJupKVRL.html

The Sky Is Pink is a film that audiences have been anticipating for quite a while now. One of the primary reasons being that this is Priyanka Chopra's first Bollywood film after three years. The film recently made its premiere at the Toronto International Film Festival. Going by the first reactions, the film sounds quite promising.

After being screened at the TIFF on Saturday, the film received a standing ovation lasting four minutes. Reviews of the film on Twitter praised Shonali Bose and the other cast and crew members for their work.

The film is based on the love story of a couple narrated by their daughter who suffers from a terminal illness. It seems that the aspect of the film surrounding the illness also touched audiences. One of the film's positive reviews was from a doctor who claimed that the film reminded him why he chose to work in medicine. Others even called the film a tearjerker.

It was later revealed that even the Chaudhary family, who the film is based on were present at the screening. The film is set to release on October 11, theatrically

https://www.news18.com/news/movies/the-sky-is-pink-early-reviews-priyanka-chopra-film-gets-4-minute-standing-ovation-at-tiff-2310463.html

Almost 1 month pehale review thread ?

^^ oh k, thought review thread opens 2/3 days before release.

Have any major trade site reviewed the film and if so, what has been their response?

I saw one review by Hollywood Reporter but it didn't talked about all technicalities of the film.

Edited on request 

Edited by priya185 - 4 years ago

I was a volunteer at TIFF this year and had the chance to watch this movie during one of my shifts. I enjoyed it. I wouldn't call it the best movie of TIFF. For me this year's best movie was The Perfect Candidate (a Saudi Arabian movie), but this is up there in the top 3.

I used to really like PC before, but over the past few years I've grown out of that phase and honestly she felt kind of stinted in places in the movie. Almost as if she was forcing it. Farhan was flawless. So were most of the other actors. The story was really good.

This movie deserved all the applause it got. It really did. It left me teary-eyed as well. Another Shonali Bose movie that is so good.

Variety 

Wow, that was one harsh review.

Edited by ponymo - 4 years ago