Put yourself in someone's shoes

Posted: 4 years ago

*If you are Jahnvi/Pooja hater, please ignore and move on from this post. I've had enough of misogyny and male character obsession in IB to last me a lifetime, and don't want anymore arguments that will raise my BP. okthxbye*

Okay, so up until yesterday, I was finding it really immature of Pooja to be all arrogant, elitist b**** with Kabir & Co. It made no sense for her to make fun of their poverty, considering she's been poor herself. But today's episode threw a new spin into it. 

These lines impacted me a lot (I heard them quite a few times) 

".....tumhe yeh ehsaas dilaane ka tha, ki hum bhi aise sadak dar sadak mitti phaakte the, koi nahi tha hamaara, jab tumhaare Dad ne mere Dada ko maar daala tha, bas vahi yaad dila rahi hu. Ladaai ho na, toh barabari ki honi chahiye, isiliye main tumhe apne beete huya kal ki barabari pe khada kar rahi hu...."

Pooja ruined Kabir's food, not because she was being petty today. She did to make him realize how she lived in abject poverty, when his father murdered her Dad. 

Now it explains (for me) why Pooja ruined his certificates. Look, logically even without certificates, Kabir is ex-army and he can easily get a desk job, so shredding his certificates accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Then why did Pooja do it? The answer is in the next line. 

When there a battle, then it should be among equals. I am bringing you to the equality of my past circumstances. 

Pooja and Rani were probably less than eight years old (from the flashbacks) and spent some amount of time on the streets, scavenging for food. It is shown in another flashback, that Amma was ostracized for being a transgender. Only Ashok Sharma treated her out of kindness. It is quite possible that Amma had to face constant ostracization from the society, and she wasn't well off to begin with. Amma and the two girls had a tough time, their lives wouldn't have been easy. 

Also, PK thought they were dead, if he found out they were alive, he would try to kill them. So they had to hide too. They most probably went to another city (I'm guessing Gwalior by Pooja's schooling/college). They had to start over from scratch. We already know that for transgenders and women, this society can be quite harsh. 

Kabir and his family's circumstances cannot be compared to Pooja. Pooja and Rani were little kids living with a person whose community was socially boycotted. Kabir, is a well-educated, ex-army, man in his late twenties. He is more than capable of looking after his family. He can easily pull connections from army and protect/care for all of them. 

Even so, he sought out to challenge Pooja by demanding a job in Mittal industries (to get his family company back, I guess). 

Pooja is just evening out the challenge for him. She does not go out mocking poor people, on a regular basis. Its only Kabir and Mittal family. Why? To make them realize what she and Rani had suffered because of them. 

Those reminders of poverty are not because she is a rich, spoilt brat, but because she wants to hurt the 'khandaani rayeez/ feudal rich' Mittals where it stings, that they are poor now. Dadaji, Suman, Chanda, all lied to protect their family name and wealth. This is her way of making them realize how it feels. 

Is her targeting of Kabir wrong? Yes, because he is innocent. But he is also protecting his family (makes sense logically), so in Pooja's eyes, he is a stand-in for PK and other senior Mittals. 

Is Pooja being petty? Yes, but she's coming from a place of childhood trauma, and a feeling of restlessness to make the opponent feel what she has gone through. 

True justice would be if the Senior Mittals come to know how their kids are suffering because of them, but Kabir is protecting them from that knowledge (why so noble, yaar?). They should know and repent their past deeds. I can't get that image of Dadaji and Suman standing and watching two kids being burnt alive, and I am just a tv audience. Imagine how bad must it have been for the actual character in the universe.

If people still don't understand where Pooja's coming from, then their hearts must be made of stones Kabir put in Pooja's tiffin. 

**That doesn't mean I am enjoying the petty fights. I am not. I wish they move on to the ideological plane. But after the revamp started from the 4th July epi, this is the first proper episode that enjoyed and actually liked.  

***Also, I still think Pooja should just sell off everything and start a hospital with that money. That would be the most in-character thing for Jahnvi to do. She already made PK donate the land for the hospital, so why not start building it? Her usurping PK's business just does not make any sense to me. 

I agree with you. I love Pooja's character because of the fact that it's lined with so much pain and childhood trauma. Pooja's main goal is not to humiliate Kabir. It's to make him realize the pain that she went through. Lets look at their stories in parallel:

Pooja:

- Lost her father because of a mittal

- Was left on the streets to fend for herself and her sister

- Had no money, no food, no education

- As a result of all of the above, she wanted to exact revenge from the Mittals

Kabir:

- Lost his father (essentially because of Pooja)

- Was left on the streets to fend for himself and his family

- Currently has no money

- As a result of all of the above, he wants to exact revenge from Pooja

Where is the difference in their stories? There was a dialogue that Kabir said, and was something along these lines "Jo kiya PK mittal ne kiya, phir iss poore parivaar ko kyun barbaad kar rahi hai Pooja? Ye galat hai"

Pk mittal did the same thing. Whatever happened should have been left between him and Ashok sharma, but no. He attempted to kill Ashok's daughters as well. 

Pooja is simply reiterating the same history that she went through and showing Kabir how it feels. Is that justified/correct? No. But is it expected based on how her character has been developed? Yes. 

Edited by -Sanjana- - 4 years ago

Originally posted by SRKisLove

*If you are Jahnvi/Pooja hater, please ignore and move on from this post. I've had enough of misogyny and male character obsession in IB to last me a lifetime, and don't want anymore arguments that will raise my BP. okthxbye*

Okay, so up until yesterday, I was finding it really immature of Pooja to be all arrogant, elitist b**** with Kabir & Co. It made no sense for her to make fun of their poverty, considering she's been poor herself. But today's episode threw a new spin into it. 

These lines impacted me a lot (I heard them quite a few times) 

".....tumhe yeh ehsaas dilaane ka tha, ki hum bhi aise sadak dar sadak mitti phaakte the, koi nahi tha hamaara, jab tumhaare Dad ne mere Dada ko maar daala tha, bas vahi yaad dila rahi hu. Ladaai ho na, toh barabari ki honi chahiye, isiliye main tumhe apne beete huya kal ki barabari pe khada kar rahi hu...."

Pooja ruined Kabir's food, not because she was being petty today. She did to make him realize how she lived in abject poverty, when his father murdered her Dad. 

Now it explains (for me) why Pooja ruined his certificates. Look, logically even without certificates, Kabir is ex-army and he can easily get a desk job, so shredding his certificates accomplishes absolutely nothing.

Then why did Pooja do it? The answer is in the next line. 

When there a battle, then it should be among equals. I am bringing you to the equality of my past circumstances. 

Pooja and Rani were probably less than eight years old (from the flashbacks) and spent some amount of time on the streets, scavenging for food. It is shown in another flashback, that Amma was ostracized for being a transgender. Only Ashok Sharma treated her out of kindness. It is quite possible that Amma had to face constant ostracization from the society, and she wasn't well off to begin with. Amma and the two girls had a tough time, their lives wouldn't have been easy. 

Also, PK thought they were dead, if he found out they were alive, he would try to kill them. So they had to hide too. They most probably went to another city (I'm guessing Gwalior by Pooja's schooling/college). They had to start over from scratch. We already know that for transgenders and women, this society can be quite harsh. 

Kabir and his family's circumstances cannot be compared to Pooja. Pooja and Rani were little kids living with a person whose community was socially boycotted. Kabir, is a well-educated, ex-army, man in his late twenties. He is more than capable of looking after his family. He can easily pull connections from army and protect/care for all of them. 

Even so, he sought out to challenge Pooja by demanding a job in Mittal industries (to get his family company back, I guess). 

Pooja is just evening out the challenge for him. She does not go out mocking poor people, on a regular basis. Its only Kabir and Mittal family. Why? To make them realize what she and Rani had suffered because of them. 

Those reminders of poverty are not because she is a rich, spoilt brat, but because she wants to hurt the 'khandaani rayeez/ feudal rich' Mittals where it stings, that they are poor now. Dadaji, Suman, Chanda, all lied to protect their family name and wealth. This is her way of making them realize how it feels. 

Is her targeting of Kabir wrong? Yes, because he is innocent. But he is also protecting his family (makes sense logically), so in Pooja's eyes, he is a stand-in for PK and other senior Mittals. 

Is Pooja being petty? Yes, but she's coming from a place of childhood trauma, and a feeling of restlessness to make the opponent feel what she has gone through. 

True justice would be if the Senior Mittals come to know how their kids are suffering because of them, but Kabir is protecting them from that knowledge (why so noble, yaar?). They should know and repent their past deeds. I can't get that image of Dadaji and Suman standing and watching two kids being burnt alive, and I am just a tv audience. Imagine how bad must it have been for the actual character in the universe.

If people still don't understand where Pooja's coming from, then their hearts must be made of stones Kabir put in Pooja's tiffin. 

**That doesn't mean I am enjoying the petty fights. I am not. I wish they move on to the ideological plane. But after the revamp started from the 4th July epi, this is the first proper episode that enjoyed and actually liked.  

***Also, I still think Pooja should just sell off everything and start a hospital with that money. That would be the most in-character thing for Jahnvi to do. She already made PK donate the land for the hospital, so why not start building it? Her usurping PK's business just does not make any sense to me. 

Everyone can realize and understand the facts what you have written. But some are not ready to accept. They should see the things with the victim's vision. 

@red

Pooja can't do anything until she remove the hurdle in her path. Now her main job is to remove Kabir from the factory by irritating him in all the ways.

Actually people think like 

Pooja ke sath kya hua kuch khas nahi bas baap hi toh maara tha jo uski maa bhi tha or uske sath izzat bachpan or chhat hi toh chini gai thi 2 baccho ki jo badnaseebi se bach gaye 

Pooja ko koi haq nahi banta ke woh suman chanda pk or dadaji ke sath aisa dhoka kare kyunki uska sidha asar toh dhruv jay sonali kabir par padta hai? ? ?  Right

But haa kabir/dhruv sabko pooja ko sabak sikhana chahiye ki pooja ko dard ho use pata chale ke woh log khandani raees hai or pooja bhikhari hai jo pathar khake badi hui hai 

Great minds of people

I also do think the same that she should sell the business  And that i guess in 1-2 episode she said she wants to sell all other businesses except textile i guess she would do that but will come later on and i think she will retain textile for livlihood and will sell other businesses for charity or other better purpose

Edited by shruzzy - 4 years ago

Originally posted by -Sanjana-

Pooja is simply reiterating the same history that she went through and showing Kabir how it feels. Is that justified/correct? No. But is it expected based on how her character has been developed? Yes. 

@bold: Exactly! This is the point. I don't agree with the petty things she is doing, but as far it goes, I understand where she's coming from. 

And that does not mean, I don't understand where Kabir is coming from (like I did mention in some part of the post). I can see it to some extent. 

To me Pooja's side is heavier, because of the longer period of trauma, she faced as a kid, and because childhood trauma leaves a deeper dent on the psyche of the person. 

Sigh, the only characters I truly loathe are the senior Mittals. They knew that Ashok is innocent, and yet they kept quiet about his and his daughters murders. 

Very well said👏

When Ashok Sharma was Murdered by PK Mittal, then Pooja and her sister were child, but here Mittal's are matured enough to take care of themselves.

And in today's episode,  Jay's reaction , just because he lost his luxurious life, he is ready to hurt her.

Then what should we expect from pooja????

Edited by Moumina - 4 years ago

Originally posted by krithi1990

Everyone can realize and understand the facts what you have written. But some are not ready to accept. They should see the things with the victim's vision. 

@red

Pooja can't do anything until she remove the hurdle in her path. Now her main job is to remove Kabir from the factory by irritating him in all the ways.

Yes, people should see things from victim's eyes as well, that's why the title of the post. 

Yeah, I get the whole challenge bit, but I am not enjoying these humiliation games. 

Originally posted by shruzzy

Actually people think like 

Pooja ke sath kya hua kuch khas nahi bas baap hi toh maara tha jo uski maa bhi tha or uske sath izzat bachpan or chhat hi toh chini gai thi 2 baccho ki jo badnaseebi se bach gaye 

Pooja ko koi haq nahi banta ke woh suman chanda pk or dadaji ke sath aisa dhoka kare kyunki uska sidha asar toh dhruv jay sonali kabir par padta hai? ? ?  Right

But haa kabir/dhruv sabko pooja ko sabak sikhana chahiye ki pooja ko dard ho use pata chale ke woh log khandani raees hai or pooja bhikhari hai jo pathar khake badi hui hai 

Great minds of people

I also do think the same that she should sell the business  And that i guess in 1-2 episode she said she wants to sell all other businesses except textile i guess she would do that but will come later on and i think she will retain textile for livlihood and will sell other businesses for charity or other better purpose

@bold: Shru, the way you put it 🤣

But yeah, that's true. I am not saying Pooja is right in doing what she did with the Junior Mittals, but the way people are criticizing her character as too dark, and talking about how she needs to be redeemed......its just making me sick, to be honest, to think of what kind of internalized misogyny and entitled beliefs do these people hold? 

Originally posted by Moumina

Very well said👏

When Ashok Sharma was Murdered by PK Mittal, then Pooja and her sister were child, but here Mittal's are matured enough to take care of themselves.

And in today's episode,  Jay's reaction , just because he lost his luxurious life, he is ready to hurt her.

Then what should we expect from pooja????

@bold: Exactly! Jai is mad because he lost his luxurious lifestyle. Spoilt brat! 

But I did feel a little bad when he talked about the trust he had as a friend on Pooja. That touched me. 

Originally posted by SRKisLove

@bold: Shru, the way you put it 🤣

But yeah, that's true. I am not saying Pooja is right in doing what she did with the Junior Mittals, but the way people are criticizing her character as too dark, and talking about how she needs to be redeemed......its just making me sick, to be honest, to think of what kind of internalized misogyny and entitled beliefs do these people hold? 

even i agree that certain things are not right but watching yesterday and today's episode i feel pooja is right like dhruv has kabir and suman to look after him at this matured stage but pooja the child who had she though amma is the strongest pillar she had but can anyone fill the void of a parent? And about jai's best friend its explained in today's episode cant say more. . . And if she had gone through lawful side wont chanda suman and dadu also would be behind the bars? Kya business bandh nahi ho jata? ? ? 

Most annoying is chanda's bickering and suman's silence on question why my family? ?