KaIra FF: A Haven for None [IF-NC_Entry] | Completed - Page 5

Posted: 5 years ago
Originally posted by Shafy_Kaira_MN

Wow superb

Thanks a lot! :) :)
Originally posted by Sense9

Read ch 6. Its getting more and more intersting .naira back story n how it changes ething..

Thanks a ton! :) (for sharing your views)
Originally posted by -AvidReader-

The story is very interesting... When are you updating next??

Thanks so much! :)
I'll be updating shortly. It's a limited words contest so the final parts will be up soon.
Originally posted by Viswasruti

Wow , You have done it again my dear writer!🤗 
"They stood in the middle of the room. Lights had not been installed and since the sun was setting, it cast a red hue in the vacant room." --Chapter --7 
I strongly believe one doesn't find a subject. The subject finds you and consumes you! And then catapults you into a journey, where you keep digging within and outside till a story comes into view. The magic of creation lies in its vagueness!! Inspiration is such a thing that you sometimes don't know when it happens, but the subconscious constantly makes its own notes which comes out when you write things down! I can see the natural flow of thoughts in this story which made me astonished and inquisitive to read this with utmost interest.
Congratulations once again!⭐️

General Fiction
With an Average Score of 9.7
Winner

KaIra FF: A Haven for None
by 
ErisedWitch45

Thanks so so much for those lovely words. 
As I've always said, your kind/supportive comments keep me going. Esp since I enjoy your writing so much so it means a lot to read your views. 
Thanks again!! (for sharing the news) :)
Based on Prompt 3

Chapter 8 - Confrontation (continued)

"No!" Naira let out a bone-chilling scream. Kartik's shirt soaked red as he pressed his right hand over the bullet wound, gasping.

The sight of him, being so close to death, made Naira scared at first and then enraged. Without thinking, she lunged at Akhilesh. She hit him with her closed fists. The man towered over her and to him, her attack were mere annoyances. He couldn't shoot her. He needed her to make his lie look authentic, to pin Kartik's imminent murder on her.

Naira hit him, shouting indignantly, like a woman possessed. She bit his right hand, which had the gun, as hard as she could till she tasted blood.

Akhilesh dropped the gun, cursing in pain. He yanked her hair and slapped her hard. Pain seared through her cheek but she didn't cease her attack. She kept throwing herself at him till all his attention was on her.

"Stupid b!t@#." He cursed as he hit her left and right with his wounded hand.

In the few moments, when Akhilesh's attention was on Naira, Kartik shakily rose and rushed at Akhilesh. Akhilesh let go off Naira. She coughed out blood and sank on the ground.

Naira's vision was clouding and she couldn't focus on the two men involved in a fistfight. She was hurt, bleeding and tired. All she wanted was to close her eyes, just to rest her eyelids...

A loud yell woke her up. She saw Kartik on the floor, blood seeping out his mouth. She saw a tired and wounded Akhilesh standing next to the lying body of Kartik. His back was to her.

It was going to be over, Naira dreaded. Akhilesh was going to win. He was going to kill Kartik. She couldn't let that happen. She had to do something. Each muscle of her body ached as she tried to stand up.

In the midst of it, her eyes fell on the gun that Akhilesh had dropped when she bit his hand. She slowly crawled to the gun and picked it. Pushing herself off the ground, she stood up weakly.

She tightened her hand around the cold black metal, pointed it at Akhilesh's back and pulled the trigger. A loud boom resonated and then the sound of a bullet piercing Akhilesh's flesh. He slowly turned around in shock.

Naira strengthened her grip on the gun, took a deep breath and pulled the trigger again. The second bullet hit Akhilesh on the chest. He screamed in pain and fell down on his knees.

Naira didn't lower the gun. She had never killed anyone before; never even hurt anyone. She never thought she could despise someone so much that she would take their life. Yet, in front of her was the person who was going to kill Kartik, the man she loved. Anger coursed through her veins. She pulled the trigger again, hitting Akhilesh on the chest. His body slumped and fell on the concrete with a loud thud.

Naira walked to Kartik as fast as her trembling legs would let her. She sunk on her knees, placing her hand on him. His eyelids fluttered, "Naira..." He whispered. Tears of happiness rolled down her cheeks. He was alive- badly hurt but breathing.

The next few moments were hazy for her but somewhere she fumbled in dead Akhilesh's pockets for his phone. She remembered calling the police and then Keerti. She remembered holding Kartik's hand, telling him to stay with her, telling him that she loved him. She recalled the faint hint of smile on his face on hearing her declaring his love for him.

And then, her head felt heavy and she fainted.

Edited by ErisedWitch45 - 5 years ago

Epilogue

It was a major win for Mumbai police. One of the biggest mafia families, the Goenkas, had tumbled down. Piece by piece the empire came apart. The TV channels and newspapers talked about nothing else for days.

Naira had found about the developments when she woke up in a hospital room a day after the ordeal. She had sustained non-severe injuries.

On waking up, Aditya Bansal, the cop she so desperately wanted to meet to implicate Kartik, visited her. Turns out, he had been in cahoots with Kartik all along. They were working together, as a part of a bigger plan, to extinguish crime and criminals. Aditya took her statement about what transpired in the warehouse where they had recovered Akhilesh's dead body. Naira answered his queries as much as she could recall. He made note that Naira killed Akhilesh in self-defense.

Once the cops were done, only then were family and friends allowed to meet her. Keerti, Naira's only friend, was there. Tears were streaming down Keerti's face when she saw a badly wounded Naira, lying on the hospital bed.

"Is Kartik fine?" Naira asked, ignoring the pain stinging her head.

Keerti nodded between sobs, "They took out the bullet. It hadn't damaged any organ. He is unconscious as of now, but the doctors are hopeful."

The optimism gave her strength. Later when Kartik regained consciousness, Naira was the first one to see him.

"Hey there," she said softly, as she on his bed. "How are you?"

"I've been better," he replied, with a small smile.

Naira gently took his hand between hers. "I am so sorry." Her voice was shaky, "It's my fault that you're in this condition. Akhilesh used me to draw you alone to the warehouse. If not for me, you wouldn't have been shot." Tears rolled down her cheeks.

"It's not your fault, Naira," he spoke firmly, "Akhilesh murdered my father. One way or another, he would've found a way to kill me too. If anything, you saved me."

Kartik removed his hand from her grasp and wiped her face. "You saved me, in more ways than one. You gave me the strength to do what was right. Lot of things will change in the upcoming days, Naira. I will have to..." he paused, holding her hand again.

"What?" she asked, a hint of fear in her voice.

"I'll have to face the consequences of my actions... I'll be imprisoned," he replied.

Shocked, she asked, "Why would they arrest you? Your cooperation is what helped the cops."

"That might earn me a lighter sentence, but I'll have to go to jail..." He explained, breathing deeply. Before she could further object, he interrupted, "It'll happen, Naira. I am telling you now because I want you to do something."

She listened to him intently. "When everything comes undone, I want you to take Keerti and leave the country. I'll tell you the code to a secret safe in my study where you'll get passports and bank account details. I want you both out of here."

She shook her head, "I'm not going to leave you. Not when you need me the most."

"You don't understand," his voice had a tone of urgency, "We still have enemies- within and outside. They might try to harm Keerti or you or anyone close to me. There'll be a power struggle and dead bodies in its wake. The battle isn't over. It has just begun. And I don't want you caught in the crossfire. You deserve to be free. You deserve to start your life afresh."

"Not like this..." she sniffled, pressing his hand between hers, "Not without you."

He spoke softly, "If only there was another way... But there isn't. I want you to be safe and as far away from all this as possible. I need you to be strong, Naira. I know you can do it."

"I can't..." She spoke between tears, "I can't leave you..."

He smiled weakly, "Once I've repented for my crimes, I'll come find you. I promise."

"Kartik," she whispered his name, "I love you." There couldn't be a more inopportune time to declare her love for him.

"And I love you," he spoke with the strength he could muster. "I always have."

Some weeks later, Naira, Keerti and an aging Suhasini Goenka flew to London. The family had a house there. Suwarna and Shubham moved to Singapore, to her maternal house. All the members of the syndicate scattered. Some were caught and imprisoned. Others were absconding. Some killed by rival families, others joined them. The void left by the decimation of Goenkas led to a turf war among the remaining families. There was murder and mayhem all around.

When a few months later Kartik's case was being heard at court, Naira kept track of each and every development, however small. She wanted to return to India, to be by his side but she couldn't. The day of the judgment was soon upon them. With bated breath, Naira kept her eyes glued to her mobile screen where she was watching live news. The reporter gave a quick recap of the case, of the events leading up to it.

Naira tapped her foot impatiently. What would be the court's verdict? Would they show leniency or fully acquit him or would he be given life imprisonment? Naira shut out the disturbing thoughts. Her mind would spiral out of control if she engaged in thinking. She waited for the reporter to announce the verdict.

10 years.

That's what Kartik got. It was a lenient sentence since he had cooperated and was instrumental in bringing down a huge crime empire.

Naira cried herself to sleep that night.

Days turned to weeks, weeks to months and months to years. Naira took admission in a college along with part-time work. Keerti started working in a bank. They didn't need the money. Kartik had left them more than enough for a comfortable life. But they needed to keep themselves busy.

4 years later, a sliver of happiness came to their lives when Keerti got engaged to her boyfriend- a work colleague. Sometime later, she married him. Naira, who had graduated and joined an MNC, moved out of their house and rented a small flat in the city.

She went to office, sat in her cubicle and worked, silently. On weekends, she would sometimes meet Keerti. Sometimes she'd catch a movie or just wander around the city. She had longed for freedom all her life yet without Kartik, everything was incomplete.

Some years later, Suhasini passed away due to old age. A funeral was held. Kartik wasn't allowed to attend since his parole was denied.

Thereafter Keerti got involved with work and family. She had a boy whom she named Krish. Her family was complete. Naira was happy for her. But sometimes she'd also envy her, later feeling guilty.

One evening, on the 9th year of her wait and Kartik's sentence, something left Naira spellbound. She had just returned from office when her sight fell on a man sitting outside her apartment door.

He had stubble and a face that looked tired but his eyes sparkled. It took a moment for her to realize who it was.

Initially shell-shocked, she ran to him and hugged him tightly. "Kartik!" she mumbled against his shirt, tears spilling from her eyes.

Kartik wrapped his hands around her slender waist and pulled her closer. He breathed in the familiar scent of her hair and exhaled.

When she pulled apart after many moments, her voice quivered, "How are you here...?"

"Early release," he responded, smiling. "Courtesy of my good behavior and my lawyer's relentless appeals."

Neither had let each other go from their grasp. For 9 years and 4 months they had waited for their exile to end. They had stayed separately, pining for each other. The only thought that kept them going was the promise of seeing each other once their ordeal was over. And alas it was.

Throughout their lives, both, Kartik and Naira, were trapped in their own cages. The cages were different but the suffocation was same. Both desperately wanted a life where they could live freely- a haven where they were safe, happy and loved.

After years, their dream had manifested into reality.

At last, they were together. At last, they were free.

--------

[Total Word Count = 17003]
Edited by ErisedWitch45 - 4 years ago
wow it was amazin. i loved the whole
FF

Please do write more.
Posted: 4 years ago
I simply loved the whole story and I loved the fact that you kept the story real. You sent Kartik to jail which would have happened in real life.

Hope to read more stories written by you. You are an amazing writer.
Finally had a chance to finish reading. You had me for a while as couldn't quite grasp how it will turn out. Good ending to a beautiful story.

Originally posted by Shafy_Kaira_MN

wow it was amazin. i loved the wholeFF

Please do write more.

Thanks a lot!

Happy that you liked it :)