During winter, the skin gets tight and dry, but it can be tackled by following some easy tips religiously.
Blossom Kochhar, chairperson of Blossom Kochhar Group and one of the pioneers in skincare, says that cleansing and moisturing skin regularly yields desired results.
"To counter the dry skin, use a gentle cleansing lotion. Moisturising is the next important step as it helps seal in the water below the skin surface and acts as a barrier against the external changing dry weather," she said in a statement.
"However, the moisturiser should be light and gel based. Use a heavier moisturiser than you use during the warm weather," she added.
She suggests a few tips for glowing skin and soft lips during cold weather:
- Every night before going to bed take one tablespoon of milk cream and mix in a few drops each of glycerine, castor oil and rose water. Mix them well and apply all over your entire face, neck and hands. Leave overnight. In the morning, wash it with cold water. This home remedy contains oils and form a protective barrier on skin cells, keeping moisturiser in and the harmful effects of the environment out.
- Do not try facial masks and products containing alcohol or lotions as astringents.
- To restore moisturiser, apply a facial mask containing almonds, honey and fats twice a week. Leave it on for half an hour and then wash it off.
- One can also try this homemade facial mask: 1/4 cup of yoghurt, 1 teaspoon honey, 1 tablespoon of milk powder, 2 yeast tablets powdered. Leave on for 10 minutes, splash with cold water. Do this once a week for the best results.
- Do not wash your face at least half an hour before going out in the cold.
- As the weather turns cold, chapping and cracking of lips becomes common since lips have no oil glands of their own. Take extra care of them by applying a coat of petroleum jelly overnight and then using lipsalve in the morning. Do not apply lipstick to chapped lips, it will dry them even more. Use moisturiser on your lips several times a day, then apply gloss to protect them.
- Go for proper manicure and pedicure as hands and feet need to be looked after well during the dry season.