New Delhi, April 17 (IANS) Wearing tight clothes or figure-hugging shape wear may lead to nerve compression in your back and also restrict your hip bone movement, putting pressure on your spine and leading to backache, says an expert.
Suraj Bafna, spine consultant at Qi Spine Clinic, lists a few back pain culprits:
* Form-fitting skirts: Close fitted skirts and dresses pull your knees together, thereby restricting movement. Over time, the damage and strain can aggravate and lead to a pulled muscle or disc problems.
* Skinny jeans: Body-hugging jeans grip tightly around the waist, hips, thighs and calves and can create strain in the joints. Also, having your phone or wallet in your jeans' back pocket imbalances the alignment of the hips and can cause hip or back pain.
* Oversized handbags: The bigger the bag, the more stuff you will put in it. Adding extra weight on one side of your body is one of the biggest back pain causes. Whenever you carry added weight on one side of your body, it causes your spine to curve and that leads to back pain symptoms.
* High heels: High heels can be bad for your feet and back and can cause the calf muscles to shorten, which can lead to circulation problems, knee damage and back pain. It is important to wear comfortable shoes if you plan to walk a distance.
* Heavy necklace: When you accessorise your neck with heavy jewellery, it puts pressure on the muscles, tendons and joints of the neck. Anything that pulls the neck tips the head away from its point of neutral balance and can create neck tension, pain and damage.
* Side hair parting: Wearing your hair on one side may be fashionable but you are doing a great disfavour to your neck. It causes the head to tilt to one side and the chin to the other and the condition is known as wry neck.