The Shield - PreRish One Shot

IAdoreYou thumbnail
Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 8 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 4 years ago

The Shield

She stood numb, leaning on the door of ICU, her eyes taking in view, his unconscious figure lying with a drip to his one hand, and the other one covered in a white bandage, she could still see the small blood drops on. She didn't bother to wipe the tears that rolled down her cheeks.

Months ago, she had seen her father, battling for his life. Months later, she was seeing him, fighting for his life. Months ago, she was the reason for her Baba's critical condition. Months later, she was the reason for his critical condition.

Tum mhanoos ho. Mohini Basu's words from the past replayed in her ears and pondering over every event happened in her life, she thought, perhaps Mohini Basu was right. Everyone suffered because of her. Her family. Anurag. And now, Mr. Bajaj!

She was to be blamed. For anything and everything that went wrong in the lives of her people. Had she not gone out, he wouldn't be in between life and death.

One of the waiters in the party had informed her that someone had been waiting for her outside. She did not realize when Cookie followed her when she went to check who it was. Apparently, she found no soul there. Cookie ran up to her and began conveying something to her in her sign language. She was busy deciphering it when she was pushed forward from her place along with Cookie. The push was careful that did not let her fall and when she turned back, she couldn't react momentarily. A truck had thrown him out of the road. Her senses seemed to have stopped working and her mind could not process what just had happened. It took her several seconds to get a hold on herself, run up to him and rush him to the hospital.

Recalling those terrifying two minutes sent shivers down her spine. Her trance broke with Cookie's circled hands around her legs.

Cookie over her own self. Always. She bent down to pick her up and walked to the nearest bench with Cookie in her arms. As she placed Cookie on the bench and sat beside her, she scooped her little face in her palms, wiping the tears streaming down her face. "He is going to be alright." She was unsure whom she was really assuring - Cookie or herself. She cuddled Cookie closer and the mother - daughter duo sat together, being each other's source of strength.

The first hit that she received was harsh and huge. His brain had suffered severe damage. She was informed that the trauma had caused blood clots in his brain that demanded an immediate surgery and they needed her to sign the consent form. She managed to sign the papers with her shaking hand after glancing at Cookie. What was she going to tell this girl if something happened to him?

They spent hours on that hospital bench, desperately waiting to hear one positive news that the operation went well. Despite having denied to eat, Prerna fed Cookie who hadn't had anything from long. Anurag had visited hospital once it reached to him what had happened and had offered Prerna that he would take Cookie with him, home and would take care of her until she returned but she had refused. She was grateful for him being considerate but she did not want take any chances anymore. She couldn't let Cookie go off her sight.

Prerna was stroking Cookie's hair when she realised that she had fallen asleep. She dropped a quick kiss on her forehead, cradling her closer.

His thoughts overpowered her mind. Her every meet with him flashed before her eyes like a recorded clip. To shield Cookie and to shield her, he had put himself in front of death. He could have just gone ahead with Cookie and he wouldn't have been hurt but since he chose to save the two, he had to lose himself and he did that. He did that.

Mr. Bajaj. She hoped. She wished. She prayed. For him to stay. She needed him to stay. He couldn't just go. Cookie needed him. She needed him. She needed him for Cookie and for... She did not dare complete her thought.

The morning arrived and brought a ray of hope for the Bajaj family. The operation had gone well and the neurosurgeon assured her that he would be up and recover soon and that she could meet him once he was shifted from the ICU to a private room.

She silently thanked the doctor and god for keeping him safe. Cookie was awake by the then. Prerna pointed at the front, showing Cookie, her father on the hospital bed. He was yet to gain consciousness. Cookie was about to run to her him but Prerna held her back. "He is fine but he needs rest. We will not disturb him, okay?"

Cookie nodded before she hugged Prerna. Prerna patted her back, taking a breath of relief.

"Shivi," Prerna left the couch she was seated on seeing Shivani at the door. Her hand was still holding Cookie's.

"Cookie, this is Shivi. Your Maasi. Aap inke sath mere ghar jaoge?"

Cookie turned back only to make a strong grip around Prerna, conveying her that she wouldn't go. Prerna knelt in front of her, caressing her cheeks. "Cookie - she is my sister. You can go with her. She will take care of you just like I do. Papa needs rest, no? And you haven't eaten and slept properly. You go with her. I promise, she will bring you here whenever you want, okay?"

Cookie still wasn't willing to go but she gave in.

"Thanks, Shivi." Prerna took a step forward to hug Shivani but she stepped back. Though she was there on a single call from her sister but that didn't mean she had forgotten anything. She hadn't but it wasn't the time for the same. She shifted her gaze to Cookie and held her hand out for her, flashing a smile for the kid.

"Please, don't." She was immediately beside him after seeing him struggling to open his eyes and attempting to get up at the same time.

He could barely open his eyes. They would shut within seconds. The doctor had told her that he would be either drowsy or sleepy for several more hours.

"Coo...kie."

She heard him whisper breaking the letters of Cookie's name. She took the stool beside his bed. "Cookie thik hai, Mr. Bajaj. Aap please... aaram kijiye."

"Aa...aap..."

"Main bhi thik hu, Mr. Bajaj." She turned her face and furiously wiped the few tears that escaped her eyes. He was still under the effect of anesthesia given to him. He was still in a lot of pain, that she could imagine and yet all that came in his mind was - Cookie. His love and concern for Cookie was far above than his own self and not just Cookie, he was concerned about her as well. She did not know who and what he was.

Perhaps, she did not judge him right.

Perhaps, he did not let her judge him right.

Perhaps, he was too good at making people believe the things about him that he wanted.

Mr. Bajaj wasn't as callous as she had thought of him to be and maybe, with being a best father, he was also a genuine human being and not some insensitive jerk that he portrayed himself as.

"Pre...rna."

She heard him mumbling her name and was back to facing him. "Yes, Mr. Bajaj."

"Koi mere liye... roye... mujhe pasand nahi." His voice was extremely faint, but his words were audible to her ears. He had her whole attention to be otherwise.

She watched him do what he never did. Earlier. He was trying to smile. He never smiled at her. Their relation wasn't enough friendly to share smiles and his smile was a rare one. Reserved only for his daughter. His smile wasn't for he. It never had been but seeing him, trying to curl his lips, most probably to comfort the crying woman who he could see was sick worried for him, left her with insane thoughts. Maybe, it was the time, to let go of her past, and to give a chance to the new beginning of her life. A chance to him. A chance to them.

She gave a long stare to him, whose eyes were already holding her in them. "I am glad that you are here. I really, really am."

The relief that he heard in her tone and the meaning of her indirect words warmed his heart. He let himself fall asleep, content with the fact that his family was alright and she sat there, taking his hand in hers after a while of ensuring that he was asleep, processing the plethora of emotions that possessed her, hopelessly wishing for better, trouble free tomorrows' with her family. 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

IAdoreYou thumbnail

Other works 

Subconscious Desires - PreRish Ficlet - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5101835

What Have You Landed Yourself In - PreRish Ficlet - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5106028

The Choices We Make - A Ficlet - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5106423

His Purpose - PreRish Ficlet - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5104758

The Curious Case of Mr. Bajaj - PreRish Ficlet - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5108680

A Coffee, a Tea, Stars and Some Talks - PreRish One Shot - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5108968

Fall at My Feet - PreRish SS - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5104859

Sarang - PreRish Tales - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5110134

Closure - One Shot - https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/5109722

Edited by IAdoreYou - 4 years ago
WaqtZaya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Most Comments (August 2021) 1 Thumbnail + 7

I am fcking crying 😭 what did you write 😭 💔 

Koi mere liye roye mujhe bardasht nahi 😭😭😭😭💔😭💔😭💔😭💔😭💔😭😭💔😭💔😭😭💔 

I will read it again and then comment

Grand res. 

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Such a heartfelt piece! I loved it! ❤️

Wistfulness thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7

Double post

Edited by Wistfulness - 4 years ago
Gurmeet4Drashti thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Can everything unfold just the way you described it in the show as well? This is just so perfect that I want to watch Karan portray that concern on screen 

But alas. All we’d get is wacky editing and sounds and smug smiles 😭

But I seriously loved how she has accepted him and his relief on finding his family is safe was beautiful!! 👏

dumas thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4

Wow that was so emotional ,I love how she worried forhim.

loved that she did not leave him alone awesome update .

So cute he was trying to resure her he was ok ,and him telling 

her that he hated tears .

Edited by dumas - 4 years ago
ShumiM thumbnail

I do t know why I cried during reading specially when he said he don't like someone to cry for him. Thanks.do write more.

IAdoreYou thumbnail

Originally posted by: MisHumptyDumpty

I am fcking crying 😭 what did you write 😭 💔 

Koi mere liye roye mujhe bardasht nahi 😭😭😭😭💔😭💔😭💔😭💔😭💔😭😭💔😭💔😭😭💔 

I will read it again and then comment

Grand res. 

I am thrilled to know that you got so involved in this to get teary eyed. It's a compliment that always make me smile. Thank you. 

Surely. Do that if and when you can. :) 

IAdoreYou thumbnail

Originally posted by: Wistfulness

Such a heartfelt piece! I loved it! ❤️

Thank you. 🤗