Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pori thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 3 years ago

I had no idea you updated and was pleasantly surprised and really HAPPY!  Thank you 

This chapter was really nice. I like Prasanna, she’s immature but sweet

omg!! That was so nice of Nishat to come in support of Kirti. What an absolute sweetheart. 

LOL at kirti mentioning Meethila. Totally something I would do when I’m nervous and anxious. 

question: do you do pms when you update a new chapter?

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: cheers2all

Turkish actors are so good looking 😍

BTW I am on episode 80 of Emanet. Watching it in fast forward mode with whatever toota phoota subtitles I can find. There is some lady who is providing the translation in comment section, so I refer to that sometimes. So bottomline, I need to stop watching VMs 😆

They are. I was in the same boat as yours. I was going through those small clips which had Eng trans. I also followed that woman's translation but in between it got to slow and those two women drama was too much. And the other couple did not interest me. They eat away so much of screen space. I have heard it gets better since they get into a marriage of convenience.

True. VMs are not good for health. 😆

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Pori

I had no idea you updated and was pleasantly surprised and really HAPPY!  Thank you 

This chapter was really nice. I like Prasanna, she’s immature but sweet

omg!! That was so nice of Nishat to come in support of Kirti. What an absolute sweetheart. 

LOL at kirti mentioning Meethila. Totally something I would do when I’m nervous and anxious. 

question: do you do pms when you update a new chapter?

I love your views, Pori. Right, all of us would be freaked out by that sudden invitation to lunch😆

Sadly, I don't give out updates. But you see me around almost everyday despite my resolve to update weekly.😆 You must realize by now how vachan ka pakka - true to one's words - I am. 😆

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: cheers2all

More like last hour decision if he had to drive to Borivali from South Bombay. 

Oh but did you not hear him say, his office is just a stone's throw away. How convenient a setting!😉

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Ginnosuke_Nohar

The Tinku Jiya and Bua Ka Ladka Rinku Jia always gets me 😆 

Please watch this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HilSRS8UTUY

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: canapoem

Oh!!! 

GN, this is going to be the wildest guess I have made, in my entire lifetime. Is Ahilya Kirti's mother? 

I had given a few hints. The biggest being the name Urmii and was waiting someone would think in that direction. Then you came 😆

Tussi Great Ho, Jahanpanah. 😃

Meerkat thumbnail

37. Naseeb

‘Dadi, today you’re looking no less than a Bollywood heroine.’

‘Today? I always look like a heroine, Babu.’

‘Touché’ Biplab conceded.

‘What will you eat, Dadi?’ Kirti was going through the menu.

‘Wow. These five star hotels menus had always fascinated me. Tender coconut water for Rs 225? Have they added electricity tax as well? AC ke expenses also please you bear, dear customer. Isse behtar main bahar mein 32 Rs ka nariyal pani na piloon.’

‘Di,Stop being so middle class. Don’t be a Monisha, please,’ her brother winked. Shaking her head, she kept going through the list. ‘Ugly…Uglio…How do you pronounce this? - Aglio e olio – Let’s move on…’ Her eyes swept over the complicated names. Let's order chicken and rice. Biplab, your order?’

Earlier when they were discussing celebrating her success, Dadi had suggested making a sumptuous meal at home itself. She was also planning on paying a visit to Siddhivinayak one of these days. But Biplab had insisted they eat out and at one of the high end eateries, he insisted. Kirti and her grandmother did not see the point of unnecessarily wasting money.

‘What difference does it make? Whether we eat at a five star or a Cadbury?’ Kirti had joked.

‘Experience, Di. Experience!!!’ Biplab said, expressively. ‘Yesterday I was watching a movie. The woman keeps saving up for a better future and one day is diagnosed with a terminal illness. She looks back at her life to realize that in securing her future she did not live her present at all.’

‘Uhm…Biplab you could have omitted the terminal illness part.’

‘So Di, money despite all its value, is still a temporary object. It is an experience that lasts.’

‘Okay fine, if you are so keen on it let’s go,’ Her own temptation and curiosity of what went around at such high end places had Kirti give in. The next task had been to convince their grandmother to accompany them.

‘Oh, where will I go? These old knees…I will only be a liability.’

‘What liability, Dadi?! The celebration would be incomplete without you.’

‘I don’t even eat out,’ she protested weakly.

‘If you are not going, we will also not go.’

‘Acchha, then I have to go.’

Biplab had rushed to Dadi’s wardrobe, getting her a fine silk sari which Dadi had not worn in years.

‘Aye, madboy. Am I at an age where I can wear such bright sarees? Buddhi ghodi laal lagam, people will say!’ Old people trying to act young ‘It will suit Kirti, now. So many sarees I have been storing away for my Nightingale.’

‘Arre Dadi, kuch toh log kahenge, logo ka kaam hai kehna. All people know is to talk. You are wearing this, that’s final’ Kirti draped the dry cleaned, smelling-of-naphthalene-balls saree on her grandmother’s shoulder. It was a green woven Kanjivaram silk. Very pleasing to the eyes.

‘No…no…I will not wear it. I will look like a fool.’ Karuna removed the saree from herself and admonished her granddaughter, ‘Do you know how much they charge for dry cleaning? Don’t ruin it unnecessarily.’

‘Dadi, let’s make a deal. If you wear this saree, I would wear one from your collection too. Have you not always wanted to see me in one of your sarees?’

‘I have decided on my order. Let’s call the waiter, Biplab said and when the man arrived, Biplab took immense pleasure in pulling his face into a very solemn and haughty expression and rolling his tongue elaborately as he pronounced his dish.

There was unfettered joy on Karuna’s face. This is how she wanted her kids to be. Laughing without any care in the world. She had never seen Kirti’s eyes light up like this , her laughter unrestrained and so untouched by the shadows of past and future. And how beautiful she looked in the Paithani saree. If any man saw her right now, he would surely be bewitched. To reject her because she was tall? Totally their loss! My daughter, wherever, whichever household she would go, she would lighten it up with her presence. My daughter is the diamond of first waters. Only if I had more resources, and we were at a higher social standing, I would have found her a prince.

While Karuna’s breast was reverberating with such motherly affections and musings, a Prince along his family stepped into the same earth as her.

The hotel staff was guiding the Aggarwals to their private dining table – a VIP perk – when he heard the dulcet laughter and his head turned to the corner where his ungrateful classmate sat. He was in the direct vision of the brother who was engrossed in chatting with his sister.

Biplab did not notice Nishit but his Prasanna radar going strong, immediately spotted the girl.

‘Di, Prasanna.’

‘Where?’ Kirti turned her head and saw Nishit before Prasanna. Their eyes met and he acknowledged her with a slight nod of his head but did not break away from his path to come meet them. Biplab was pushing back his chair to go greet them when Kirti stopped him.

It seemed like a family affair. Nishit’s parents, in a deep discussion, were following their children.

‘If he wanted, he would have come here. Sit back and enjoy the meal.’

‘But I need to say Hi to Prasanna.’

‘Don’t you understand a thing when I say it the first time? Sit down. If she wants to say Hi, she’ll come over.’

‘What are you both talking about?’ Karuna asked. The waiter arrived with their meal.

‘Nothing, Dadi. Let’s start eating.’

Biplab had gotten busy in the texting business. No wonder Prasanna looking up from her phone, her eyes scanned the entire room before settling on Biplab. Her gestures showed eagerness to gulf the distance between them. Nishit had to pinch her to remind her that they sat in the presence of their parents and such public displays of affect - ahem friendship - was not going to bear any good consequences. So the respective duo of siblings – one set waiting for their order, the other finishing their meal – sat quietly making a  show of utmost devotion and attention enjoying the family affair, their eyes and mind engaged otherwise.

While this young era’s hide and seek continued, Karuna poked the leg piece, stirred the curry as she chewed the rice. Nothing special, she thought. I would have made it much better and at a cheaper expense. These young people in their search of experience draining money like water wasting from a loose municipality tap. Now they are ordering dessert. Much better would have been to buy a slab of icecream - family pack  and eat it at home or even that she could have made at home. At this moment she felt the force in her bladder. She had used the washroom the moment they had arrived here, now again. I should get my sugar tested. Better to use it here than feel the uncontrollable force on the way to home. She pushed back her chair.

‘Where to Dadi? Bathroom? Let me come with you?’ Kirti offered.

‘Huh! Sit down. I am no invalid!’ Karuna hobbled to the washroom area.

In the toilet, she grimaced once again seeing the western pot. They should have Indian latrines also. Not everybody used western style. Cursing her bladder, she sat down. Now I will have to go take a bath and wash this saree. Even though Kirti had gotten  fixed a commode in their bathroom so that Karuna gout afflicted knees would not have to bear the extra effort of squatting, Karuna had not been able to adapt to the practice. Even if she had started using it, she always took a bath after it. She did not feel pure and clean without the ritual.

She was out washing her hands and sprinkling a handful of water over her feet when she heard a very familiar voice. Even more than two decades had not washed away the memories of the acerbic tone.

Turning around, she came face to face with her truant daughter in law. Urmila Singh now masquerading as Ahilya Urmi Lokhande.

XxxX

‘What happened, Dadi? Are you alright?’ Karuna’s stricken face had Kirti’s heckles rising. Biplab looked up momentarily before returning to his phone, his nimble  fingers  typing a text.

‘You look very pale, Dadi. You alright?’ Her pensive face and heaving body did nothing to calm Kirti’s qualms about Dadi’s health.

‘Let’s go home,’ was Karuna’s reply.

‘But dadi, we haven’t even…’ Biplab’s protest was cut in sharply by Karuna, ‘Now! Let’s go home.’ When both the kids looked at her questioningly, she elaborated, ‘I am not feeling well. It’s like I feel short of breath. My heart is beating too fast.’

This got the grandkids in action. The bill was cleared. Tip was left. A cab was called as they drew their chairs back, ready to leave. All this under the hooded gaze of a strange man. He watched them closely as he sipped his exorbitantly priced tender coconut water. He had unkempt hair, falling over his eyes, an unshaven beard and carried himself with an air of carelessness, not bothered about social niceties or the flummery of the social world. He wore a jacket over his kurta and jeans. His eyes were at the moment stuck on the traditionally dressed young woman.

XxxX

‘Hellow Rimjhim. What a surprise to see you here,’ Ahilya exclaimed tapping the back of her social acquaintance.

‘Ahilya, what a pleasure,’ Rimjim stood up in acknowledgment and it took all her good breeding and restraint to prevent her eyes from popping out her socket looking at the risqué blouse the woman wore beneath the embellished thin red sari.

‘Vaibhav, I won’t say I am pleased to meet you. Because honestly Mr. Aggarwal, I find you such a bore. I find all the academia people such a bore. You do not even have youth to recommend you. And age like wine, you did not!’

‘I don’t blame you, Ms.Lokhande. I have often heard women complain of boredom when they see conversations move beyond the realms of juicy gossip. Anything beyond lace and silk, you must find it hard to decipher.’

‘A bore and a judgmental pig. Hahaha.’ An affected laugh she had mastered over the years. A slight tilt of her milky neck. Her diamond earrings dancing and tantalizingly brushing against her smooth skin. Her eyes lit up in mystical colors and her lips curving sensuously. Either worked as a titillating or ingratiating-one’s-nerves device. ‘Misogyny,’ she continued, ‘I will not even bring in. I have heard the mere mention of it burns the likes of you. Rimjhim, my sympathies with you.’

‘I have heard you’ve been chosen as the brand ambassador of feminism,’ Vaibhav mocked.

‘The news travels fast in this part of the world.What new book are you writing? Any chance of writing on silk and lace? Would do more business than all the political bullshit you keep shoving up our asses in the name of your experiences and observations.’

‘Another admirer of my book. Ah glad to meet you. You and my father in law will make a good team.’

‘Hahaha. I have no interest in that old geezer.’ Then turning to Rimjhim whose blank expression did not betray her, ‘Don’t mind my darling. He said some really mean things last time and lost my respect.’

‘I think my next one would be on you. What a colorful life you lead.’

Rimjhim, curbed her annoyance by not letting it show on her face. She didn’t know why her husband always walked into the trap of Ahilya. The woman survived on attention. You wanted to beat her in her game, you don’t give her footage. Just quietly nod and move on. Rimjhim Aggarwal would have never given such a lowly woman her time of day if not for her social standing. Wrestling with pig and all that.

‘If a colorful life you’re after, look closely in your home. Your findings would be more accurate. Hahahaha.’

‘Ahilya, I hope you’re coming to our party,’ Rimjhim cut in.

‘Absolutely. But darling,’ she purred, ‘why so late? I am so upset. I am sure I was a last minute addition. Your cards, I heard, had already been languishing in others drawing rooms for three weeks now.’

‘You know how it is Ahilya. With my work and three children at home, my husband is no less than a child, there are so many chores, it just slipped….’

‘Oh it’s okhhay…since you’re a dear friend. I let it go. As for your children, Pras, my dear I have heard a lot about you from your mother. I have heard you are an exceptional painter. And where’s your son.’

‘He spotted a friend.’

‘Ohhh. Hahahaha. I missed him it seems. Rimjhim, I thought I had an aversion for Aggarwal men but after meeting your son I think I might have been too quick to make a decision. I thought such a fine specimen had gone out of manufacture long back.’

Rimjhim did not know how to react to the comment. Any other woman, Rimjhim would know to act modest and then proceed to praise her son some more. As for the predator, Ahilya Lokhande, the farther she remained from her son, the better. Anyway, my son will never take an interest in such a harlot!

‘Take the compliment, darling. He’s got your genes. Take pride in it.’ Ahilya winked.

‘I wish he were here. I have mentioned an Ahilya aunty so many times. I am sure he must be eager for you.’

‘Showing me my place, hahaha. But darling, men don’t see me as an ‘aunty’. I wish they would though. Lesser stress.’ Then flicking her hair, she said, ‘Got to go. Can’t leave my date waiting for long,’ she said conspiratorially winking. Her fingers proudly pointing to another young conquest of hers.

‘Finally!’ Vaibhav muttered, his square shoulders falling, as she left their space.

‘What an interesting specimen!’ Prasanna commented. ‘I don’t know about Dad but I am totally going to write a character based on her.’

XxxX

‘Leaving Dadi?’ Nishit asked, bowing down to touch her feet. Karuna was distracted and did not give him a warm response making him feel awkward, both his hands going inside the pockets.

‘Dadi is not feeling well,’ Kirti explained feeling his awkwardness.

He looked at her. She was wearing a sari in golden color lined in dark blue. Vines and flowers were drawn all over the sari. Vines in colour blue and golden and flowers orange and golden. Her hair had been in a half updo, a small dark blue dot of a bindi between her brows.

‘Oh,’ he said. ‘If you want I can ask our driver to drop…’

‘No need. We have called the cab,’ she reassured.

‘I am sorry for yesterday. I really had an urgent appointment.’ She had invited him to lunch and had then cancelled it at the last moment when some issue had cropped up at the store. She had to go meet the manager.

‘No issue. I got busy myself. Had you been free, even then I would have had to cancel it. In fact I was going to call you but you beat me to it.’

Kirti could not explain why it hurt.

The cab arrived.

‘Bye,’ she said.

A slight nod of his head was his response.

XxxX

‘You won’t believe who I came across today!’ Ahilya exhaled, sitting down on her chair.

‘Who?’ The man asked, combing his hand through his hair. His eyes were still rooted to the young woman who now stood outside, a transparent glass dividing his and her world.

A man now, Nishit Aggrawal, to be more precise stood drawing her into a conversation.

‘The old bag! What was she doing here? They would have come with her too.’ She began looking around.

Futile exercise! He thought. I think they just left now. But did not voice it aloud.

XxxX

Karuna had been distant and quiet for a few days now. Kirti had noticed the change and even Biplab had picked on her glum nature. Kirrti had taken her to the doctor who had run a few tests. Her BP and sugar was high. But ill health had never been an issue for Karuna. She was always so full of life and optimism. The banyan of their house. Dragging her leg from this end to another. Now, she had a faraway look in her face. Biplab came up with a plan.

‘Dadi, you know I make videos. I told my viewers I was home and with my family. They saw a glimpse of you in one of the vlogs and they want you to film a video with you.’

At first Karuna declined straightforwardly. But her resolve began to get weaker and weaker as Biplab and Kirti kept following her from this room to another, pleading their case.’Plez Dadi. Plez no dadi.’

‘Arrey what video will I make?’

‘Just talk to them in your own sweet dialect. The Chhatisgarh dialect, Dadi. Sing one of those folk songs.’ Dadi did sing, not one of the folk songs but a Sharda Sinha’s wedding song. These days all she had on mind was Kirti’s wedding. It was a hit! Dadi took great pleasure in watching the video on repeat, even though she claimed the opposite and blushed whenever Biplab would read out an appreciating comment.

When views and likes began pouring in and a certain viewer inquired about the younger voice humming in the sidelines, Biplab insisted she film a song too.

‘You greedy for likes and views Youtuber. Using your sister and grandmother to gain subscribers, what do you think is the punishment for such sin?’

‘Didi plez. PLEZ Didi.’

‘Shoo! Go away! This is all Moh Maya. Go and watch the documentary The Social Dilemma. Today’s youth…’

Biplab, tuning out her discourse , continued with his pleading.

She ended up singing a song. It was an old song picturized on Hema. One that was always played in her home.

‘Mere Naseeb Mein Tu Hai Ki Nahin…

Tere Naseeb Mein Main Hu Ki Nahin…’

A week passed in this way and they entered into the Diwali week. Diwali week was special for two reasons. One, because it was a festival that they celebrated with much pomp.The other being also the week of her grandmother’s birthday. Her grandmother did not remember her real birth date. One among several siblings and birthdays not having significance in their age, no one had bothered to remember the exact date, they only remembered the Hindu years in which the children were born. Barring the year, the date and month on the government document was fabricated. All Karuna remembered was that she had been born on a Trayodashi - the thirteenth day - of Kartik month. Just two days before Amavasya – the day of Deepawali.

Kirti lost in a daze when an idea struck her. ‘Let’s celebrate Dadi’s birthday grandly this time.’

‘Brilliant!’ Biplab was immediately rattling off the things they could do. ‘Let’s invite Prasanna and Nishit, too.’

‘Why them?’ Kirti asked. Even though her first reaction had been a yes!

‘Why not?’ Biplab countered.

‘They won’t come.’

‘Why won’t they?’

‘Why do you act all knucklehead? Deliberately ignoring the divide between us. Did you see how your Prasanna did not even acknowledge us in front of their parents? What are you even doing with Prasanna? You’ll be leaving for college soon. Have you forgotten that?’

‘What social divide? It is all in your head, Di. These social systems have their relevance only until we allow them to live. If you believe in it, it is. If you don’t, it is not.’

‘Sometimes you show gravity beyond your age and sometimes you are so naïve.’

It did nothing to shake Biplab’s belief for he called Prasanna to invite her on the birthday.

‘Di,’ he said as Kirti prepared teaching notes for the class. ‘Prasanna accepted the invitation. Nishit Bhai though…’

‘Well I said before. Didn’t I? His nose is too high in the air.’

‘Woah. Wait wait please. Hear the whole thing first. Nishit Bhai said, by what right do I invite him?’

Kirti looked confused.

‘I think he meant if I invited Prasanna it was understandable. But since he’s your friend so it should be you who must invite him.’

‘Whether you invite or I invite, it is the same thing?’ She reasoned.

Biplab shrugged. ‘Must not be the same thing for him.’

XxxX

Later at night Kirti was scrolling down the YT comments on her amateur attempt at singing the legendary Lata ji’s song when she came across a very familiar username.

One-of- the-narcissistic-jerks 

Dadi is a cute bear. Her singing rocks. Your sister is naturally gifted. I loved the Ek Din Khwaab Meinnn part the best. Subscribed in the hopes that we will see more of them in the future videos.

It couldn’t be him, could it?

XxxX

‘Why didn’t you call me?’ His eyes sparkled with intensity.

She had gone to his house to invite him for Dadi’s birthday.

‘Uhm but Nishit, my brother did call you,’ she replied. ‘Me or him, it’s the same.’

‘Is it?’ He asked, filling the distance between them. He was again wearing that all black attire. Was it his favourite?

What was wrong with him? Why was he looking at her as if…as if what?

Why was he closing in on her? Hello? Personal boundaries? And why was the ballerina back? His breath on her neck, why did it tickle?

‘Kirti?’

‘Hmm?’

‘Kirti…’

‘Hmm…’

‘KIRTIII!!’

She sat up on the bed with a jerk. ‘WHAT? What?!!’ Her breasts were heaving.

‘It is eight in the morning, child! How long will you sleep?’

In her twenty eight years of life, this was the first time she had dreamt of a man. No second. She had once dreamt of a boy, hadn’t she? The same boy now grown up into a man was infiltrating her dreams!!!

Tejas was so right! She had underestimated Nishit.

He was no soft gush of wind!!!

Ek din Khwab mein

Woh mujhe mil gaya

Ek Din Khwab Mein

Who mujhe mil gaya

Dekhkar who mujhe

Phul sa khil gaya

Sharma gayi main haaye haaye

Ghabra gayi main haaye haaye…

Edited by Ginnosuke_Nohar - 3 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Meerkat thumbnail
cheers2all thumbnail
Love Couple India Season 2 0 Thumbnail Anniversary 7 Thumbnail + 5

They are. I was in the same boat as yours. I was going through those small clips which had Eng trans. I also followed that woman's translation but in between it got to slow and those two women drama was too much. And the other couple did not interest me. They eat away so much of screen space. I have heard it gets better since they get into a marriage of convenience.

True. VMs are not good for health. 😆

I fast forward everything that doesn't have Yaman and Seher (or Yusuf) in the frame. That kid is so adorable (after his uncle, ofcourse smiley36) I have absolutely no idea about the other couple's story. I don't even read their part in the translation 😁 I tried the short clips for a while, but they were randomly edited and some episodes were missing. So kept at the long ones with my ultra fast forwarding. 

So there is that predicted "marriage of convenience" trope too. Why am I not surprised! But I am enjoying the show, warts and all. Seher sometimes reminds me of young Kajol. I have started following the dude on insta 🙈 #merakuchnahihosakta

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

I had given a few hints. The biggest being the name Urmii and was waiting someone would think in that direction. Then you came 😆

Tussi Great Ho, Jahanpanah. 😃

I feel like a cool detective now 😎

Do I get a prize then? 😆