Keep it coming ❤️

GN, that was such a well made video.

🤗🤗🤗

Thanks to you, Kavi, that I'm here reading this lovely story ❤️

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 3 years ago

Originally posted by: Arshi67

@bold - You so must!!! (I had to look X Readers up btw 😆) 

I had no idea as well until the day I stumbled upon a piece going something like, ' He stops you, 'Hey beautiful,' he says....insert some smutty things' 😆 I was like Ye Kahan Aa Gaye Hum...Then googled about it and got to know about the whole genre.

Honestly, I won't stop if someone calls me 'Hey Beautiful,' in a throaty, or whatever voice. Tharkee alert, my mind would ping me and I'd run away. 😆

Meerkat thumbnail

29. Opportunity

‘Biplab, you’ve been watching TV since the whole morning now! Give us a hand, will you?’ Kirti called out from the room inside where she was removing the suitcases and attaches from the upper wall shelves. Diwali was two weeks away; her grandmother and Kirti were on a sprucing and decluttering spree. Only this morning, she had sold all metal and paper scrap to a ‘raddiwala’.

‘It’s the climax, Di. Last ten minutes.’

He was watching Ajay Devgn’s Phool aur Kante for the nth time! 

Once he had fixed the TV, he had gone to find out the whereabouts of Manoj Bhaiyya, their muhalla’s cable operator. With DTH on rise and new key players entering the market, Manoj after sustaining losses for around three consecutive years, had finally moved to the plumbing and tiles business in 2017.

‘I don’t do that anymore,’ he said. ‘I can give you Lalan’s number.’ Kirti would have given up but Biplab, undeterred by the whole exacting process of calling up the dealer, buying the services, seeing it through to the end as the antenna was set up, quickly jumped in.

He stood by Lalan, the very eccentric Lalan as she drilled the holes and connected the wires. She had a feathered hairstyle, a brow and chin piercing; wore ripped jeans with chains and all. 

‘I thought you were a guy!’ Biplab had  said.

‘So I have a heavy voice! You got a problem?!’ 

Biplab had immediately shook his head, afraid to offend the technician. He wanted to watch TV that day itself. So, he stood there, his eyes seeking her out unintentionally.

‘Abe khajjal jaise kyun taad raha hai?!’ She said in a rough Bambaiya language, without looking up. [Why are you ogling like a fool?!’]

‘I am not!’ he protested. A few seconds later, the rebuked guy ran to his sister. ‘Di, You go up and supervise! I will not.’

‘Why?’ Kirti, who was chopping vegetables for the dinner, asked.

‘She thinks I am ogling her!’

‘Hah? Were you?’

He bristled at the accusation. ‘Nooo! It’s just that...I have never come across such a TV technician. Doesn’t she look like a druggie?’

‘Tsk..tsk...someone was lecturing Prasanna on generalization. Hypocrite much?’

Kirti had gone up, her brother in tow. In a moment she had understood why her brother hadn’t been able to keep his eyes to himself. 

‘You have a very distinct style for a cable technician,’ she said to the girl. Very Hippie.

When the girl looked up with ire in her eyes, Kirti put her hands up in the air, ‘Not judging. Just curious.’

‘’I like the style and it's a free world,’ Lalan answered.

‘They allow you to wear it. No uniform as such?’

‘I own the business! Who will dictate me what to wear? You customers?’

‘No, obviously not! In fact, it’s nice for the customers. Uniforms are boring! Now, this is like a...sight of fresh style?’

‘Where did you get your hair bleached, Lalan? It has come out so natural and beautiful.’

‘Lily, I prefer Lily. And I did it myself!’

‘Wow! The piercings suit you too. Do you have a tattoo? I have one!’

The girl looked taken aback by the confession.  ‘You don’t look like someone who’ll tattoo their body.’

‘Oh, what do you know?! I have double ear piercing,’ Kirti showed her ears. ‘It’s a pity my grandmother did not allow me to get my chin or brows pierced!’

‘It’s a blessing!’ Biplab said, gatecrashing the conversation. ‘I would have disowned if you did any such thing.’

‘Men!’ Lalan scoffed. ‘Think they own us or something!’

Smarting from the comeback, he said, ‘There’s something about respecting what God gave us, as well. And, I was not ogling you, okay?’

‘Whatever! Doth protest too much.’

'You are far from Lily. Should have gone for Holly, Duranta, L-actus, maybe?' He had said, storming out. Biplab had been so embarrassed by the whole conversation that he had taken to his room, not coming out until Lily-lalan had left.

‘Guess what? She’s Manoj Bhaiyya’s daughter!’ Kirti had filled him in later.

‘So old?’

‘Hmm. Seems Manoj Bhaiyya was actually an uncle prancing as Bhaiyya all the time!’ They had chuckled among themselves.

Now, as the house was drowned in the jarring background scores of either action or melodramatic scenes playing in movies, all day long, Kirti was annoyed beyond limits. 

‘Has the movie ended, Biplab? If yes, then switch off the bloody thing! It’s giving me a headache now.’ 

‘Just ten more minutes, Di’

She walked into the living room, a broom and a dusting cloth in her hand. Her brother had moved to Set Max channel watching, Arya Ki Prem Pratigya, another one of South dubbed movies. Incensed, she yanked out the TV wire from the switchboard.

‘Dadi and I are slogging like a donkey there, and you…’ she thumped the back of his head.

‘Dadiii, seeee, this girl will never reform her ways. She’s calling you a donkey!’

‘Shut up! Go and clean the cobwebs of your room.’

‘Aye, captain!’ He saluted her and then went to put the TV cord back again.

‘Hey! No TV!’ Kirti objected. Ignoring her, he put on the music channel where old classics were played. ‘I can’t work without songs,’ he said.

Tired of bickering, Kirti went away to dust the sofa, as Sunny Deol’s ‘Tu Dharti Pe Chahe Jahaan Bhi Rahegi...Tujhe Teri Khusboo Se Pehchan Lunga…’ filled the room. She did hate the constant noise of the TV but it also reminded her of the old times. Biplab was very much like their father. Her father also was a movie buff watching all the 90s movies on repeat, listening to the songs on the radio in the auto. She had found a small diary while cleaning the house. In fact, she knew she'd find it. It had become a ritual of sorts to find her father’s diary during Diwali cleaning; she’d dust it, clean it, read it and keep it back, the next Diwali again pretending to find it for the first time all over again.

Glossy cover, yellowish pages, blue ink seeping in on blank pages.

Aapke aane se zindagi mein jo raunak hain [The radiance your presence has brought in my life...]

Lagta hai maano barson aap hi ke intezaar mein the [It seems for eons I had been waiting only for you] 

Urmila, I love you

Aap sab kuch hai meri [You are my everything]

Small hobbles into the poetic world. How love incapacitates and empowers at the same time. 

Her father must have loved her mother very much. The very reason he never remarried. 

Lost in her musings, she was beating the furniture with the cloth, when her phone began to ring. Biplab had returned to the room on the pretext of drinking water. Ever, the sluggard!

Since he was nearer to the phone, he picked it up from the rack.

‘Who’s it?’ 

‘Unsaved number. Truecaller says, Arun Kambli, Coaching’ he read out handing her the phone. It didn’t ring a bell.

‘Hello? Yes, This is Kirti Singh. Who’s this?’ She answered, shrugging her shoulders when Biplab raised his brows in question.

‘Oh...yes, yes, I remember. ‘ She gestured to Biplab to switch off the TV. ‘Yes, I had come. I remember talking to Shivaji Sir. Huh? Ok.kay...yes, yes, I’m listening…’ 

‘Sir, CSE branch, yes! Government Polytechnic College, yes Sir. First division, 82.78%.’

The change in her expressions occurred too quickly to be discernible, and Biplab was left on edge. ‘What? What?’ He jumped from one foot to another. She stayed his restiveness with a gesture of her hand.

‘Actually, Sir, I’m out attending a marriage so this week won’t be possible. I can come next week, maybe?’

‘Let me see. Can I call you later? Thank you!’

She gave out a long sigh once the call got disconnected and then,’Dadiii...Daadi...Where are you?’

‘What happened? Who was it on the call? I also want to know. Where are going, Di?’

‘Come, come, I will tell both of you together.’

Their granny was brooming the backyard.

‘Dadi, do you know who called me right now?’ 

‘Who?’ Karuna asked, blowing an air of dust with a sweep.

‘Sai Coaching Classes!’

‘What is that?’ Karuna had no recollection.

‘First of all leave the broom, and come inside,’ Kirti pulled away the coconut stick broom from her grandmother’s hands and pulled her inside. Karuna washing and wiping her hands in her sari, settled on a cot, finally saying, ‘Now, tell me'

‘Hahn, so listen. Biplab and Dadi, I am not sure if you remember in 2019 I had applied for a teacher post in the coaching institute that tutors the polytechnic appearing as well as polytechnic studying students. They rejected me saying they had accepted the other candidate. So today, they called me up asking,’

‘If you are still interested in the post?’ An excited Biplab shot out.

Kirti nodded. ‘The other person is moving out due to their marriage, so the post has opened up once again.’

‘Wohoo!!!’ Biplab cheered.

‘I told you, if you keep trying some or the other thing, today or tomorrow, will materialize. Hey Ishwar!’ Karuna joined her hands, began thanking her house deities.

‘But...but..Dadi, Biplab, there’s a catch. They are in a hurry I think. And I have not been in touch with my subjects for years now. What am I going to do now?! I did make an excuse of attending a wedding but I don’t know that will be enough. Oh no, what am I going to do now?!!’ She moaned, leaning on the trustworthy shoulders of her brother, feeling dispirited just as quickly as the thrills had hit her nerves when they said they wanted her. Biplab patted her head affectionately. It was so good to have someone to lean on.

‘That is why I kept telling you! Don’t give up on studying. Now suffer! You don’t listen to a word I say!’ Karuna groaned. 

‘I will tell them I am not interested.’ Better than failing the test.

‘And let go of the golden opportunity? Say such stupid things and I’ll shave your head! Go and study, now. Prepare as much as you can, girl. You will be able to make it. My blessings, your father's blessings are with you. My heart says, this time you’ll definitely make it.’

‘Yes Di, no problem in trying.If you can’t make it, you can’t make it. Simple. You have nothing to lose, do you?’

Picking up her head from his shoulder, she dropped her chin on her palms. ‘Confidence,’ she muttered under her breath.

‘I will see,’ she said aloud.

‘What you will see? Leave all this to me and go and study! It is so important...Such an opportunity...Oh ho...God be kind. Give her the strength! Once she gets this job, maybe we'll find better prospective grooms. Some engineer or government official in a high post...Only if she studies hard…’

Annoyed, Kirti cried out, ‘Now, don’t start all this Dadi.’ It added to the mental pressure to perform. ‘I am the biggest fool! I shouldn't have told you all!’

‘Don’t argue with me. Go and study...go!’

‘I will not! I am not even appearing for it, jao!’ She got up and left.

‘Do whatever you want! It is rightly said, you cannot teach a stubborn head! When doom approaches, your mind starts working perversely.’

‘Dadi, my beloved Dadi, O the glow worm of my night, O Dadi, why are you getting distressed. You know how Di is. You think she will let go of it? Give her some time.’ Biplab, caressed his grandmother’s papery cheeks, cajoling her.

‘No, Babu! Let her do her mind, one day I will pass away nagging like this, and then she’ll have no one to care about her...and then she’ll remember this old woman.’

Kirti appeared once again. ‘Arre yaar...Fine! Fine! I’m going to study. But give me some time will you? Can I at least take some time to mentally prepare myself?’

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

Arshi67 thumbnail

Kirti and Biplab's interactions are such fun to read. The blend of 'I want to shake you till your teeth rattle' and 'I want to hug you till I squeeze the last breath out of you', is so relatable. 

I was so amused at the bhaiya vs uncle remarks. It's amazing how smoothly we box people into the two. A function of their stage in life as much as ours. 

The prickly Lily / Lalan sounds very intriguing. I like how you show preconceived notions coming out on both sides. 

It was so poignant to read how each year Kirti seeks to recreate that feeling she must have felt when she first discovered her father's diary. 

It's wonderful to see her future prospects lighting up with the coaching class offer. Paraphrasing Faiz, "Aur bhi raunaqein hai zamane mein mohabbat ke siva, Raahatein aur bhi hain vasl ki raahat ke siva" 

Meerkat thumbnail

Originally posted by: Arshi67

Kirti and Biplab's interactions are such fun to read. The blend of 'I want to shake you till your teeth rattle' and 'I want to hug you till I squeeze the last breath out of you', is so relatable. 

I was so amused at the bhaiya vs uncle remarks. It's amazing how smoothly we box people into the two. A function of their stage in life as much as ours. 

The prickly Lily / Lalan sounds very intriguing. I like how you show preconceived notions coming out on both sides. 

It was so poignant to read how each year Kirti seeks to recreate that feeling she must have felt when she first discovered her father's diary. 

It's wonderful to see her future prospects lighting up with the coaching class offer. Paraphrasing Faiz, "Aur bhi raunaqein hai zamane mein mohabbat ke siva, Raahatein aur bhi hain vasl ki raahat ke siva" 

Very well said! The need to box people into neat little shelves. This reminds me of an incident. So, my maternal aunt was once narrating a story of how a new neighbour addressed her as Didi till he only knew of her eight year old second born. One day, when he came to invite my aunt for the birthday party of his five year old. The eldest son opened the door. 'You've another son? Oh. Which class? 12th? Ok.' From the next meeting, this neighbour began addressing her as aunty!

Like you said, amusing! I find all of it very amusing.

In the same lines that p4peppa mentioned the other day, the need to address people as uncle, aunty, bhaiyya, didi...like everything has it's pros and cons. Sometimes it helps in forging relations, bridging the gap between the two people, that sense of sister/brotherhood, belongingness, Indian culture for all that it is known; but more often than not it is enmeshed in preconceived notions. Age shaming, and all that. A woman with a kid, a married woman - auntie (also not to forget how it's sometimes used to mock a person) then a baldie or a man with grey hair - an uncle!

Having said all this, I will also add that since having grown up in an Indian environment, it also feels really rude/ weird to call an older person (in age/experience everything) just by their name. 

When during an internship, a senior had asked me to just call by her name, no Ma'am, Didi, nothing, it had taken time to get used to that. I was used to it obviously, ready to pass on the parampara, asking a junior not to call me Didi. 😆 

It takes time to unlearn these deep rooted culture and it's teachings.

Also, the shayri you quoted, one of my favourites!

Edited by Ginnosuke_Nohar - 3 years ago
Ssanjinika thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4

Thanks, GN! I know you don't have too many Hindi dialogues in your chapters. Actually, I notice you have them only when mami makes an appearance :)

Chapter 28 - Sheesh, she chose chocolate fudge instead of sevai kulfi?!! Damn!! No matter what, you don't give up on your kulfi, Kirti!!

Between Pride and Prejudice and North and South, how can one choose? One speaks of a glitzy, glamourous divide while the other showcases a downright gritty and stark one. The emotion in both is all too real though. 

I loved the banter between Prasanna and Bilap. They know that the divide is there and have acknowledged it and then moved past it. It was wonderful to see Bilap so in terms with his circumstances. It is a part of his life. He doesn't wear it like a shield nor is he prickly about it as his sister. Maybe going to a school where he did not stand out because of his social and economic background had a lot do with it. Kirti is definitely a prickly pear. 

Ssanjinika thumbnail
Anniversary 8 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4

Kirti and Bilap have a wonderful relationship. I love their interactions. 

The Manoj Bhaiyaa/uncle story was funny and just a tad sad. How easily we put people into a box? In our society especially. Arey, shaadi ho gayi or ek bacha ho gaya then it's aunty/uncle. Silver hair, then it's dada/dadi. 

I recently watched an old Korean movie where an eighteen-year-old gets married and immediately all the kids in her neighborhood start calling her 'ajjuma' which is like aunty rather than the 'unnie' or didi she was till the day before. It was portrayed to bring out the humor but it so resonated with me just as this chapter did. 

Lily/Lalan is an interesting character. I loved how you portrayed Bilap as the conservative guy with preconceived and somewhat rigid notions about 'God' given things and Kirti as the girl who was more open. 

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

GN, this was another stellar chapter. 

I love this Lalan aka Lily.

We have women in every walk  of life who want to break the stereotypes and it is awesome to meet one such girl like this.

The way she spoke about who defines how a cable operator should look etc was just too good. Poor Biplab had to bring his sister to talk to her.

I don't know why these South movies dubbed into Hindi and telecast on Set max etc are so much liked. I have seen few of my friends enjoy it too and I keep wondering why and how. 😆

Kirti told Nishit that her low class adversities will strike him too if he comes into her home. Today after she got a call from the coaching institute, if Nishit was around, he would have said, did the high class fortune strike Kirti due to his influence. 😃

But happy to know that something good is coming Kirti's way. 

Dadi being dadi could only think that this job will pave way for a good alliance for Kirti. 

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Ginnosuke_Nohar

Very well said! The need to box people into neat little shelves. This reminds me of an incident. So, my maternal aunt was once narrating a story of how a new neighbour addressed her as Didi till he only knew of her eight year old second born. One day, when he came to invite my aunt for the birthday party of his five year old. The eldest son opened the door. 'You've another son? Oh. Which class? 12th? Ok.' From the next meeting, this neighbour began addressing her as aunty!

Like you said, amusing! I find all of it very amusing.

In the same lines that p4peppa mentioned the other day, the need to address people as uncle, aunty, bhaiyya, didi...like everything has it's pros and cons. Sometimes it helps in forging relations, bridging the gap between the two people, that sense of sister/brotherhood, belongingness, Indian culture for all that it is known; but more often than not it is enmeshed in preconceived notions. Age shaming, and all that. A woman with a kid, a married woman - auntie (also not to forget how it's sometimes used to mock a person) then a baldie or a man with grey hair - an uncle!

Having said all this, I will also add that since having grown up in an Indian environment, it also feels really rude/ weird to call an older person (in age/experience everything) just by their name. 

When during an internship, a senior had asked me to just call by her name, no Ma'am, Didi, nothing, it had taken time to get used to that. After few months I was used to it obviously, ready to pass on the parampara, asking a junior not to call me Didi. 😆 

It takes time to unlearn these deep rooted culture and it's teachings.

Also, the shayri you quoted, one of my favourites!

When Kirti introduced Prasanna as Didi and Nishit as uncle to Sibin, Nishit mentions right that how come his sister is didi while he is uncle. 

I guess our need to box people into categories in so engraved in our desi genes.