Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

coderlady thumbnail
Most Comments (2023) 1 Thumbnail Most Comments (July 2023)  1 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 3 years ago

chapter 25

Shruti and Kirti's conversation is airing out the issues. Kirti is being honest in asking herself why she does what she does.

coderlady thumbnail

Shruti is crushing on Mayank and he is crushing on Kirti. What a triangle. Mayank's mom was hinting to get him hitched to Kirti, but she doesn't seem the type to accept Shruti easily.

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: coderlady

Shruti is crushing on Mayank and he is crushing on Kirti. What a triangle. Mayank's mom was hinting to get him hitched to Kirti, but she doesn't seem the type to accept Shruti easily.

On point!

coderlady thumbnail

Where did Nishit disappear? No more texts from him, so whats up?

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Originally posted by: Ginnosuke_Nohar

^

totally editing this comment because it's a spoiler and I would like to maintain some mystery 😅

Oh, I only read it after you edited it. 

coderlady thumbnail

chapter 26

Nishit wanted to keep Kirti's umbrella and not part with it. Why is he keeping mum though?

What exactly happened between Nishit and Sana? He doesn't seem to be too upset over it though.

coderlady thumbnail

Forgot I was the first reader. No need to thank me. We need to thank you for writing and entertaining us.

Meerkat thumbnail
Anniversary 6 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

27. The Man Of The House

‘I won’t be able to Tejas,’ she said on the phone. ‘It won’t be possible this week. Biplab is home. I’ll try to take out time but honestly, he’s here after so many months. I want to spend every free moment with him.’

‘What kind of question is that?’ 

‘I am not answering’ 

‘Fine, Biplab!’

‘Wow, first ask stupid questions and then disconnect the call! When will he grow up?!’ She muttered under her breath.

‘What stupid questions?’

‘He was asking me if I were to choose between him and Biplab, who would be my pick?’

‘You sure he’s 28?’

‘I know! Kabhi kabhi bahut bachkani harqat karta hai.’

‘What marriage cancellation thing you were talking about?’

‘Arre roz ka hai inka. Crying wolf all the time. Last time also he deceived me in the same manner and took me to Nishit’s house.’

‘Why doesn’t he talk to Sana?’

‘She’s a hot shot doctor. Kahan time hai uske paas. Hum jaise naayi toh khali baithe hue rehte hai na’

‘What naai?! We are coiffeuses, okay? Make up artists. Dare you bring your desi words here’

‘Let me learn to pronounce it first. Coiif..Coiffuse. Thank you very much. I think I will stick to being desi’

‘But Kirti, don’t you think Tejas is a little insecure?’

‘Little? He’s very insecure. And understandably so. To live in another’s parents’ house. To compete for their affection constantly! When he shifted to his Bua’s house, his father, too taken by the new wife, just let him be. No cajoling, no placating to bring him back... nothing! It was like good riddance. His grandfather has been very strict with him. Only nitpicking. Any one of us would become insecure under those circumstances. It is only understandable that he will want complete submission from that one person that he finds himself close to.’

‘But you cannot be that person, right? It’s wrong for him to expect that submission from a friend. Tomorrow you will get married to someone else, then what?’

‘Then I will turn him down like I did today. I know my priorities, Shruti. I am not blind and I’ll make sure he knows about my priorities too.’

‘I don’t know. It’s going to go messy, I feel’

‘It won’t. He is getting married and he will get the fulfillment he seeks. I hope Sana can love him unabashedly and wholeheartedly….. I am leaving early today.’

‘Haan, sure do. You needn’t have come too. Spend time with your brother.’

‘What spend time?! He doesn’t need me. The guy is stuck to his phone. I don’t know what vlogging-blogging he’s up to. Yesterday I walked into his room; he was shooting and all of a sudden He’s like hey guyzz, this is my Di. He has 50k subscribers you know over useless content.’

‘50k subscribers? That’s huge!!’

‘Right? All of them watching random reviews of law colleges and then video games’ Her nonchalant voice did little to mask her unalloyed pride.

‘I love your brother. He’s such a cutie! Reminds me so much of Sachi from Ishq’

‘What is that?’

‘Malayalam movie. Usually I am not a fan of Shane Nigam but his look in this movie reminded me of Biplab so much.’

‘Don’t mention it in front of him. His head is already in the clouds. After getting under 100 rank in CLAT, you should listen to him bragging. Every time I point out something, he’ll be, can you rephrase that? You are talking to AIR 64, future gold medalist, a little respect please?’

Shruti laughed listening to his antics. ‘ Sounds cocky. Can’t believe it’s the same guy who would not leave your side. Even accompanying us to our night outs.’

‘I know. He used to tag me along to Tejas’ birthday parties as well.’

‘You used to get so pissed.’

‘Why won’t I? It was so embarrassing. Nobody brings their sibling to their friend’s birthday.’

‘Bet, he would be embarrassed himself!’

‘What do you know? He’s so thick skinned he refuses to believe he ever insisted to tag along.’

They both chuckled at the memories. Then, Kirti said, ‘He was asking after Sibin. Bring him home one of these days.’

‘Sure!’

XxxxX

Kirti picked up one of the okras between her two fingers and snapped it into two to check for it’s shelf life. Biplab loved okra fry! Ordering the shopkeeper,who was busy watching a drama unfold between a cop and a few peddlers, to pack some mushrooms, she moved to pick potatoes in a circular bamboo basket. The peddlers were being accused of illegal encroaching. The civic body staff was also present.

‘Kai sahib? Kahan jayega apun log?’ 

‘They do nothing about those anti social elements and drug peddlers encroaching the BMC parks. Here, they come to bother these poor people,’ A middle aged man commented. Kirti did not respond. The migrants and illegal encroaching was an everyday affair; the peddlers would be chased away only for them to return after the issue was calmed.

She saw a stall of Bhel, the mount of white muris, the sevs, the puris, the green and red chutneys, all enticing. Living in Hyderabad, Biplab must have surely missed it. She’s come the next day with him to savour it.

Kirti walked home to her brother sitting with an opened TV, the back casing removed, the screws all strewn around. The threadbare sofa had also been pushed aside.

‘What have you done to my house? Where’s Dadi?’ 

‘In the kitchen,’ he responded without looking up.

Putting away the ration, she plopped on the sofa. ‘Why are you after that useless box? No use repairing it. Nobody watches it.’

‘Nobody? That’s your opinion. What about Dadi? You stay out the whole day and even when you’re at home, you have your phone. But that poor creature has nothing to do but to stare out of the windows.’

‘Stare out of the windows? She’s no poor creature. She’s never at home, dufus! She has to be up to date with all of muhalla’s secrets and quarrels. Ask her Shanta Tai’s cousin daughter’s husband’s occupation and she will spell it right away. She’s busy in better pursuits than watching TV. You should see her carry a tale.’

‘Tsk...Tsk...look at you,’ Biplab shook his head. ‘Talking about our esteemed Dadi, the Dadi who brought us up, in this manner….’ He sighed and made a disapproving face. ‘You termagant, how dare you! There is no greater sin than this! The hell is reserved for ungrateful chits like you. Kumbhipakam! You shall be fried in a gurgling oil.’ He had watched some South Indian Hindi dubbed mythological movie last night and it was showing.

‘And which oil would it be, Sage Biplab?’ The tension in her cords had begun to disappear and a certain tenderness had seeped in her facial expressions. The house had turned lively and boisterous on his arrival.

‘We’ll have to see. It depends if you’re a first timer or a habitual offender. There is olive oil, sesame oil, ghee, dalda, refined oil.’

There should be a separate sins column, she inadvertently thought, for people who cancelled weddings just because it wasn’t happening in Europe and also for squad leaders who ignored you in public.

‘Olive oil for the creme de la creme, I suppose,’ she wondered. Even Hell methods were discriminatory! 

‘Sinners can’t be choosers.But, it’s okay, you can apply for the Economically Weaker Section and you’d get some relaxation. Maybe they’ll boil you in olive oil, too.’

‘Right. So what if we don’t use olive oil in our kitchen there’s always a silver lining of getting fried in it.’ 

A fragrance wafted in the air. ‘Dadiii, are you cooking meat?’ She asked, picking herself up from the seat.

‘Did you get coriander leaves?’ Karuna asked as she entered the living room, wiping her hands in the ends of her pallu.

‘Yes, Dadi. I got everything.’

‘Okay, now go and wash yourself. Then we can eat together.’ 

‘Dadiii, do you know Didi was talking behind your back. She was calling you all sorts of names. Budhiya, talebearer, Senile, busybody…’

Kirti whacked him on the head. ‘When did I say Budhiya?! And senile...hah! I would never…’

‘See...see Dadi, the gall of the chit to call you names right in front of you!’

‘Chit, hanh? You’re enjoying using the word, aren’t you?’ She boxed his ears but was reprimanded by her grandmother. ‘Aye, leave my boy alone.’

‘Wow. Your boy? Then did you pick me from the garbage?’

‘No, how many times must I have narrated your story, You were left outside our door on a Pusha Ki Raat,’ quipped her Dadi. Biplab stuck his tongue out at her.

‘Dadi, you are taking his side!’

‘Of course she will take my side. You are calling her names. Budhiya at that. She’s still so young. Look at her hair, grey but so long and flowing.’ Their grandmother always prided herself on her luscious hair.

Karuna hobbled to the sofa, exaggerating her groaning and grunting.

‘What can I do Babu? This was what was left to hear! I brought her up with so much love and care and this is what I get in return.’ She humored him.

‘You should have whacked some discipline into her thick head Dadi,’ he said with a wicked grin.’ You’ve given her free rein for too long. She is not staying with us lifelong. She’ll have to go to her husband’s house. If she shows such ungracious manners, they will blame you and me. That we didn’t teach her well.’

‘And who are you to not teach me well? My great grandfather?! Come, I will teach you a lesson.’ 

Her charging bull self was pulled back by her grandmother. 

‘It’s good you brought up the matter, Biplab. I have shortlisted a few guys. You’ll have to run some background checks on them. Once satisfied, I want that she at least gets engaged before you leave for your college. By next Jan-Feb, we’ll do the wedding.’

‘What??! Dadiii, No! I’m not marrying!!!’ Kirti declared, horrified at the speed of things.

‘Then what? Do you plan to sit and grind lentils on my chest? There’s a proper time for everything. As you age, chances of getting good guys will only get slimmer,’ Karuna reprimanded her granddaughter.

‘Okay, Dadi. I’ll do the background checks, as you said,’ Biplab nodded his head.

‘I will not leave you here alone, get that very clear Dadi. Any guy who’s marrying me should know clearly that my first priority will always be you and Biplab! Wherever I go, you both come too. Also, I won’t marry a guy who’ll hide behind his father and will nod to malpractices like dowry.’

‘Then you’ll have to sit single for life long because such men exist only in your novels and cinemas. Nobody will allow you to keep this old hag with you, let alone your brother! Our society has not developed that much.The sooner you come to terms with reality, the better.’

‘Fine, I’m not marrying then!’

‘Like hell you will not. Listen girl, get this in your mind clear. You’re going to be engaged this lagan season. I let you be as long as I could. Now even that guy is getting married. What else are you waiting for?’

Seeing his sister’s mouth twist in displeasure, Biplab jumped in to diffuse the argument, ‘Okay, okay, no fights! I am not here to watch this drama. Dadi, don’t say things that will hurt Di and Di, why are you getting worried. You think I will give your hand to any random guy. I will find the best for you. It doesn’t matter how long it takes.’

‘Aha, and how old are you? Talking about finding a guy for me!'

‘Who else will? He’s after all the man of the house,’ Karuna added oil to the fire.

‘Man of the house? After all these years...I am not enough? You need a man? A man!’

‘I can’t send you out for groom hunting now can I? Should I send you to talk to the groom's father? Don’t argue unnecessarily.’

‘Arre Didi, you are the man -woman...everything in the house.Your wish our command. Dadi is just pulling your leg.’

Kirti, a little appeased, but yet smarting from Dadi’s blow, stormed to her room. She came out for dinner only because Dadi pleaded several times. Otherwise, she had gone off to sleep. But Dadi had pulled her toes, tickled her feet and Biplab had started vlogging, Ye main hoon, ye meri Didi and Dadi and yahan ladai and manai ho rahi hai, that she had to stop acting.

XxxxX

The next day Kirti was leaving after her sales duty, when she found Tejas waiting outside. She had left behind her scooter at home for Biplab and was going to take a bus.

As she filled the distance between them, she noticed the change that had come in his visage. Bearded and haggard.

'What happened?' She asked immediately.

'Let's go somewhere, can we?' He asked in a beaten voice.

'Fine, let's go to cafe nearby. On foot?'

They had started walking to the cafe when a very familiar honking scooty stopped before her.

'Di, get on!' Biplab said, handing her a helmet. 'Oh, hi Tejas Bhaiyya!' He keyed off the motor and shook hands with Tejas.

'What's up! How's law college treating you? Any problems you can come to me. You have my number?'

'No, but I will take it from Di'

Usually Biplab was an affable company but the very morning his grandmother had sat him, explaining how important it was that Kirti find a good guy, revealing how the rich friend was taking advantage of their Kirti. Exploiting her time and feelings, Dadi had said. He's a termite eating away my daughter's light.

Biplab's own knowledge and remembrance of the guy was hazy. The cousin and his younger sister were more pronounced in his memory.

After Dadi's revelation, he felt the visceral need to protect his sister.

'Get on Di. I need to take you somewhere.'

'Biplab, the thing is I need to discuss something really important with your sister. Can I steal her for an hour? I promise to deliver her to you safe and fine' Tejas offered Biplab his best smile.

'No!' was Biplab's brusque reply.

'Sorry?' 

These smug good looking guys don't understand no, do they? 

'I said no, you cannot steal her. Because as long as I am here, she - her time, it's all mine! Di?'

He saw the guy's gaze flit to his sister. Biplab waited patiently for his sister's response.

Kirti found both the men looking at her.

'Tejas, next time, maybe?' She said getting on the scooter.

'Ya, sure!' Tejas had said nonchalantly but Kirti knew him enough she had upset him. Shaking away his thoughts, she concentrated on her present. 

'So where did you want to take me?'

XxxxxxX

‘Di, this one!’ Biplab showed her another gold toned earring. Multi layered drop earrings. ‘Isn’t it like the Maula mere Maula song earring, Di? Buy this one Di, it will suit you.’

It was a Sunday afternoon and Biplab had brought her to City Mall in Kurla.

‘ I don’t wear such heavy danglers, Biplab. There’s no occasion also to wear such things. It will just rust in my trinket box.’ It was very costly.

‘But it’s so beautiful. Don’t worry about the cost. I am buying it for you.’ His YT channel had been monetized and he had started earning, able to afford his meals, and certain other college expenditure. The few internships across the semesters also helped.

She took the dangler from him. Giving it another chance, she slipped into her ears, her eyes meeting her own reflection in the small square of hanging mirror. Bobbing her head, she checked herself. The eyebrows needed threading, she thought. She picked up another of the pair and wore it on the other ear. Flipping her hair back with some attitude, she took in the overall effect, Yeah pretty, she was thinking when she met a pair of eyes, the whole person actually through the mirror. Hands in his pockets, he was waiting outside the bookstore, right across the trinket corner. His eyes right on her, or maybe she was imagining.

Now giving away that she had seen him, she looked away; curbing the strong urge to turn, she carefully put away the ornament.

‘Let’s go,’ she told her brother.

‘What? But you haven’t bought anything yet. The earrings, you didn’t like? Di?’

‘Chup chap chalo,’ she pulled him along ignoring the very familiar man in  her side vision.

‘Kirti! Kirtiii!’ A feminine voice. Prasanna! 

‘Damn!’ she muttered, stopping, unable to ignore her.

Biplab turned too, to see the girl. The signature parrot nose. 

‘Ah! Estella?’ he thought, his head tilted, as she wheeled the distance between them, the brother trailing behind.

‘Pip?’ She asked aloud.

Edited by Ginnosuke_Nohar - 3 years ago

DO NOT COPY THIS POST AS THIS IS EXCLUSIVE TO INDIA FORUMS

coderlady thumbnail

Biplab remembers more of Nishit and Prasanna than Tejas. Looks like Prasanna and him might have hung out and discussed stories and playacted in them.

canapoem thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6

Very interesting chapter GN. 

Tejas's back story is sad. His father, fine he remarried, but should have cared for his son too. It must have been very tough on a  young Tejas to move away from his home and seek love in his aunt's house. What happened to him was wrong. 

But what he has been doing to Kirti is also wrong. 

Unfortunately 2 wrongs do not make a right.

I feel like Kirti feels pity more than love towards Tejas. 

He stood with her during her tough times, I guess somewhere losing her father made her more sympathetic towards Tejas as he too was longing for his father's love. This sympathy, common longing, friendship and attention he wants from her - did she assume it was love?

Tejas surely needs counselling. I feel sorry for him but this obsession he has towards Kirti is bad. He is not able to handle his life pressures and he tries to pull Kirti into his emotional mess and wants her to find solutions to his problems. He really needs to grow up.

Does Sana knows Tejas and his need to be given importance? 

GN, did you watch Crown series?

Tejas reminds me of Prince Charles who always wanted to be the only one in the limelight and who wants someone to feed his ego all the time. 

Kirti and Biplab's conversation and his Dadi adding her humorous inputs into their talks was so heart warming and made me smile.

Sinner being fried in hot oil and elite are fried in Olive Oil was so funny to read. Do we still get Dalda? I remember it used to widely used in lower middle class families a lot few decades back. But now everyone talks about its ill effects.

So Dadi also recognised how Tejas takes advantage of Kirti.

I am glad that Biplab kind of indicated Tejas where her priorities lies.

But Tejas is going to have huge withdrawal symptoms and it is not going to be easy for Kirti once Biplab goes back to his university. 

So Kirti and her brother meet Nishit and his sister at the mall. 

This is going to be interesting. 

Waise bandha was watching Kirti trying on ear rings. Awww!!!!

Nice update GN