Love, Unrequited [Thread 2 : Pg 140] - Page 22

Posted: 3 years ago

26. Ugly 

‘I’m sorry Nishit you had to sit through three hours of waiting all for nothing.’

‘No worries,Mami. But you’ll have to go through it sooner or later. Why procrastinate?’

‘I know that. But....kya bataon, the moment I stepped in and saw the dentist with all those instruments. There was another patient going through the drill and it was literal kaleja muh ko aana. I fled.’

‘I hope the kaleja is back to where it is supposed to, then. We’re going to need it for the next appointment.’

‘I am not sure. I am feeling some discomfort in my mouth. Maybe adjustment issues.’

‘That must be your molar.’

‘Right!’

‘Seriously Mami, you need to get it extracted soon. Or else…’

‘Haan bhai haan. Now don’t start on tooth horror stories. Last two days I’ve gone through all of Stephen King's, Neil Gaiman’s adaptations of the dental world. Ab aur nahi…’

‘Do you want an Edgar Allan Poe version? On a cold December evening, a woman sitting and trying to alleviate her loss, coping up with the sorrows of the tooth gone too soon, and hears a knock on the door.’

‘I hope it’s a delivery from Oh Dough’

‘Hmm?’

‘The Sitaphal ice cream that she ordered. To cope up with the sorrows of the tooth gone too soon.’

‘No, the ice cream has already been delivered. It’s the tooth tapping at the door.’

‘I don’t think I am interested in the woman’s story at all.’

Nishit smiled maneuvering the vehicle on the road.

‘But really thank you, Nishit. I wouldn’t have been able to come alone. Inko toh kaam se hi fursat nahi. Aapse bhi bahut himmat kar puch payi. Ek friend aane wali thi, but last moment kaam aa gaya.’

‘Anytime Mami. Agli baar jab jana ho toh call ya text kar dijiyega.’

‘Thank you for making me feel family. Nahi toh 18 saal ho gaye and I still feel like an outsider.’ She did not get a reply so she changed the topic. ‘Kal Tejas aaye the. Unke aur Baba ke beech mein bahut bahas hui. Suna hai Sana kafi adamant hai Europe wedding ko lekar. Aur baba ka toh you know as it is he is upset with the whole arrangement. He always wanted Sana for you.’

‘He always wanted Agnihotri as a daughter in law. Kya fark padta hai kis se ho’

‘Aap ko fark nahi padta? Kafi close the aaplog?’

He shrugged. ‘I am close to so many. Sabki shaadi pe bura toh nahi mana sakta na’

‘Shaadi cancel tak ki baat ho rahi thi. Tejas ne bahut badtameezi ki. Unke Papa tak ka bp high ho gaya.’

‘Hmm’

‘District office?’ He asked to confirm the destination.

‘Han’

‘Phir baarish ho rahi hai. Shaam mein Makum ke liye bhi nikalna hai. Bataiye kya laun apke liye?’

‘Kya?’

‘Assam ja rahi hoon. Aapke liye kya laun?’

‘I’m no kid Mami.’

‘Han bhai janti hoon. Phir bhi. Mujhe accha lagta hai. Ab apne bacche toh hai nahi. Aap log hi hai jo hai’

‘Fine. Get me a tortoise’

‘Kya?’

‘I have always wanted to have a pet tortoise and have wanted to call it Aatmaram’

‘Aatmaram? Ye kaise shaukh pale hue hai aapne’

He shrugged and stopped the vehicle. ‘We’re here’

‘Haan. Umbrella hai kya? Main toh bheeg jaongi office ghuste ghuste’ Ragini looked behind their seats. There were two. She reached out for a bright multicolored one. 

‘Not that ugly one. Take the other one,’ he said pointing to a dull black umbrella.

‘Ugly kyun? I like colors.Kaunsa koi bahar baith judge kar raha hai. Ye karoop chhate wali aurat ko office mein katayi aane nahi diya jayega’

‘Actually yes, the other day I was visiting your office and it said, loquacious women under ugly umbrellas are strictly prohibited.’

‘Koi baat nahi, under nahi, side by side rahenge. Ab toh yahi ugly umbrella ke sath main andar ja rahi hoon’

‘Kya hua Nishit aise kyun dekh rahein hai. Are you one of those fastidious ones?’

‘Aapko der nahi ho rahi?’

‘Ho rahi hai and I am taking this ugly umbrella. Bye’

‘It’s...it’s not mine. I’ve to return it.’

‘Oh amanat and all that. Chaliye tab good ol’ black le leti hoon’ Opening the car door, she said, ‘Nishit, don’t tell Rimjhim Di that you accompanied me. And here, for today’ she dropped a few eclairs on the dashboard.

‘Ye sab le kar ghumti hai aap. No wonder daant ukhadwane ki naubat aayi hui hai’

‘Bye,’ she said as he drove away to his destination.

Edited by Ginnosuke_Nohar - 3 years ago

Originally posted by coderlady

It was brave of her to go confess. No matter what happens, at least she tried.

Hi, I never thanked you for being the first reader. I am not sure if you remember but we first met on The Loner story. Thank you!

GN, I did ask for a chapter from  Nishit's POV but after reading this chapter, yeh dil maange more.

This  guy is a big mystery to me and I really want to dive into his brain to analyse his thoughts and his words.

He kind of never says no to help others, I am guessing.

While Tejas and others might not have accept Mami into the family, Nishit is affectionate towards her. 

And what is this mystery with Sana? 

Nishit is surely not being a Devdas as she is marrying Tejas. He is actually cool about it, at least he pretends to be.

And he is keeping Kirti's umbrella close to him and plans on returning it to  her. Kya soch tha hain yeh bandha???

Sylvester, Diana and Atmaram would become good friends 😆

I think Nishit wants to enact Hare and the Tortoise story in his house with Diana being the judge 😆

Nice update. 

Originally posted by canapoem

GN, I did ask for a chapter from  Nishit's POV but after reading this chapter, yeh dil maange more.

This  guy is a big mystery to me and I really want to dive into his brain to analyse his thoughts and his words.

He kind of never says no to help others, I am guessing.

While Tejas and others might not have accept Mami into the family, Nishit is affectionate towards her. 

And what is this mystery with Sana? 

Nishit is surely not being a Devdas as she is marrying Tejas. He is actually cool about it, at least he pretends to be.

And he is keeping Kirti's umbrella close to him and plans on returning it to  her. Kya soch tha hain yeh bandha???

Sylvester, Diana and Atmaram would become good friends 😆

I think Nishit wants to enact Hare and the Tortoise story in his house with Diana being the judge 😆

Nice update. 

This reminded me of the video, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NuVjpi72c

With him collecting so many animals, if Kirti has her safety in mind, she should keep her distance from the guy. 😆 

I understand the need to delve into his mind. 

In fact the story up till now has been entirely from Kirti's POV so it must feel claustrophobic to be trapped in just her mind.  There are lot of blind spots and limited information as well.

But for now it's a story technique, that is how I see it. 

Other characters' POV will come but not until much later.  But be rest assured, when I give their/his POV, we'll revisit everything. I will try not to leave you all high and dry, as they say.

Originally posted by Ginnosuke_Nohar

This reminded me of the video, 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7NuVjpi72c

With him collecting so many animals, if Kirti has her safety in mind, she should keep her distance from the guy. 😆 

I never knew some people actually conducted a race between Hare and Tortoise 😆

And wow Tortoise won again!!!!

If Nishit is planning such a race, I am reserving a front seat 😃

I am also wondering if Nishit wants to see if Kirti can be bitten by a Tortoise too 😆😊

Thanks for the note GN. Will surely patiently wait for the story to unfold and to read chapters from the other's POV 

Edited by canapoem - 3 years ago

Nishit has a funny bone of course and so does his Mami. One says Oh dough ka sitaphal ice cream and other wants tortoises as a pet from Assam 😂

Originally posted by canapoem

I never knew some people actually conducted a race between Hare and Tortoise 😆

And wow Tortoise won again!!!!

If Nishit is planning such a race, I am reserving a front seat 😃

I am also wondering if Nishit wants to see if Kirti can be bitten by a Tortoise too 😆😊

Thanks for the note GN. Will surely patiently wait for the story to unfold and to read chapters from the other's POV 

There's a short story collection by B J Novak. One of the stories in it is Rematch and it's about how people start talking about hare losing the match and he's agitated and humiliated, even goes into depression and then concocts circumstances that the tortoise is left with no chance but go for a rematch. In that story, hare finally is able to win back the title that was rightfully his.

The author ends up with a very nice moral - slow and steady wins the race till truth and talent claim their place. I was mighty impressed with the moral that is until I saw this video of the hare losing once again.😆

As for Nishit planning races, woh khud apani race daud lein, then we'll see.😆

Edited by Ginnosuke_Nohar - 3 years ago

^

totally editing this comment because it's a spoiler and I would like to maintain some mystery 😅

Also, I should find myself a good name. GN bahut good night types feel de raha hai. As a matter of fact good name also sums up to GN. 😆